Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2.X/3 *STILL* hasn't surpassed AP1.0 for lane changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AP1 always does everything buttery smoothly and confidently. That doesn’t mean it’s right but on curvy city roads it routinely puts me into oncoming traffic or attempts to go onto a driveway acting like it did nothing wrong.

AP2.x tends to make more rapid movements that feel more unsettling especially when pushed to the limits.

this! I don't understand why AP2+ has to jerk wildly thru an intersection just because the lane markings disappeared. It happened to me again today, had I not reacted the car probably would have jumped into the other lane, steering thrashing about. AP1 had the right idea about being more graceful when lines disappeared and keep following the car ahead or the natural curve/straight line the car was on. Completely mind boggling how even AP2.5 hasn't figured this out (Model 3).

Just read all these comments; I think the expectations for AP to work in rain conditions are high. Being its still in beta, doesn't mean its complete & personally my expectations & confidence will be there when AP is no longer in beta. If AP cars have not collected all road condition data while in the rain in specific areas, probably not a great confidence booster, that its reliable; being obvious issue on snow covered road conditions. So based on previous comments, it seems like AP should notify driver to take over a bit more, especially more intervention duing lane change on AP2 so it doesn't likely build false confidence. Seems like a little more driver intervention could help.

Ha, now you have just segmented my statement with some bs irrelevant to my claim. Since you are terrible at debate, and since the OP shared an opinion and didn't ask a question, I'll bite...

Uh- you appear to not understand the person to whom I was replying intiially was discussing rain sensing on AP1 cars

Which has nothing to do with autopilot

Since you apparently lost the actual thread in your zeal to personally go after someone, let me re-quote the original statement to which I was replying-

PDX3181 said:
AP1 still also leads the way in rain-sensing wipers . . .

Notice how that claim is about AP1?

And how my explaining that rain sensing on AP1 cars has nothing to do with AP at all?

Hopefully now that you understand the original discussion you can understand why what I wrote was factually correct- and your random misunderstanding of said discussion was off base.

Given the statement: "It has everything to do with AP. AP2+ cars are missing the rain sensor..."

Ah- I see you need even more context...

Here's the other part of my original post on this topic-

Me said:
Using AP for rain sensing was an "innovation" introduced with AP2.

So it seems you're trying to "correct" me on something I specifically, and accurately, already mentioned before you even got into the discussion.

Anyway- to sum up:

Prior to AP2, rain sensing in Teslas had nothing to do with AP

This includes both AP1 cars with the AP option added, AP1 cars without AP added, and pre-AP cars made by Tesla.

All had rain sensing- none use the AP system for that function at all instead using a conventional rain sensor.

So again- AP was totally unrelated to rain sensing in all such cars.

AP2+ cars instead "innovated" by removing the sensor and tying rain-sensing to the AP hardware.

All of this was already explained by me, though less verbosely, in my original post- which it appears you either didn't actually read, or didn't actually understand.

Hope this clears everything up for you!

Apparently you didn't watch the video and have the memory of Snapchat. Let's review...

For those eating popcorn and still want to get back to the relevant contributions, please see my original post 13 correcting all of the misinformation about AP1 for buyers who might be looking to buy used AP1 cars. The entire point being to confirm the OPs assertion, inform people why AP1 felt better with regard to that assertion, and correct uninformed statements.

For a car you admit to having little experience in, count yourself among the misinformed that I corrected...
There's no hardware on AP1 to check anything about changing lanes (WRONG) though, other than the (shorter range than AP2) ultrasonic sensors that don't see much beyond 1-2 feet away (WRONG)..
How can you conceptually support this assertion with a straight face: "there's no hardware that does this, except this hardware that does this" and then follow with an uninformed claim about said hardware. Pure rhetoric, wrong, and contributes nothing. Can't begin to understand your position to make such a statement.

Then observe your irrelevant ramblings in post 14 mostly quoting my post including an irrelevant thread containing 4 posts improperly characterizing AP1 sentiment ("owners mentioning how terrible and inadequate the AP1 system is today."). The only reason we are having this conversation is due to the OP observing the superior behavior of lane change with AP1. The subject of this thread is literally about an AP1 feature being superior to AP2+ ... again what is the point of your statement? Adds absolutely nothing to the thread, other than to misinform.
I even gave you an out...
Not trying to pick a fight, more informative for people who might be considering a used AP1 car.
But you channeled your inner Snapchat and doubled down on being wrong...
Since you apparently lost the actual thread in your zeal to personally go after someone
Who went after who? Go back and read. I'll give you a hint: 13 comes before 14
No wonder you have 4k+ posts when you reply to helpful informed statements with irrelevant content, you are a terrible debater, can't admit when you are wrong, and must have the last word (continuing to be wrong). I'd call you a troll, but trolls would be offended by your lack of conviction. Just be wrong and move on, you have nothing left to contribute on this topic.

For a car you admit to having little experience in, count yourself among the misinformed that I corrected...
How can you conceptually support this assertion with a straight face: "there's no hardware that does this, except this hardware that does this"

I'm sorry you have trouble understanding compound sentences.

Let me break it down more simply for you: Remember the discussion was blind spot detection capability during lane change behavior between AP1 and AP2.

AP1 cars have no hardware that do that except one, short range, component.

AP2+ cars have multiple pieces/types of hardware, including a longer range version of that same component AP1 has, and MUCH LONGER RANGE other hardware like cameras- which AP1 does not have at all.

Thus AP1 has greatly inferior capabilities in this regard. That might be among the reasons it changes lanes "faster" because it's not looking nearly as far ahead/behind for possible issues during such lane changes- because it lacks any hardware to do so that AP2.x has.

Possibly with HW3 the AP2.x sensor suites data will be processed faster- resulting in a best of both worlds where it's both safer than AP1 due to much better/longer range sensor data- and also as fast or faster because it'll finally be able to fully utilize all of that data quickly.

Hope this helps you more correctly understand what I, accurately, was informing people of!

Also weird how your reply totally ignored my correcting your misunderstanding of the wiper debate... I mean, would a simple thank you have been that painful for you?

Pure rhetoric, wrong, and contributes nothing.

Yes, but enough about your posts...

Reactions: mnevar