Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP3 Upgrade: What Gets Erased?

RV8R

Apr 22, 2018
Florida
I just got my appointment for the FSD AP3 upgrade. What, if any memory loss /resets take place when the new MCU is installed? Are there any precautions to take prior to the swap? Thanks.

cucubits

May 17, 2019
TX
FSD computer is different from the MCU (Media Control Unit). As far as I know they won't swap out the existing MCU when intalling the FSD HW3 computer.

• Disagree
Reactions: PhilDavid

Naekuh

Feb 12, 2018
Los Angeles
i didnt notice anything getting erased.
You do need to recalibrate your cameras, and since tesla does not wash your car anymore, i highly recommend a car wash before, or at least keep all the lenses on your camera clean to make calibration more smooth.

serendipitous

Sep 10, 2019
Maryland, USA
You do need to recalibrate your cameras, and since tesla does not wash your car anymore, i highly recommend a car wash before, or at least keep all the lenses on your camera clean to make calibration more smooth.

Really? The Model 3 owners who got the HW3 upgrade have reported that it wiped everything - game saves, spotify logins, driver profiles, etc.

zanary

Jan 25, 2017
SF Bay Area (East Bay), CA

On the latest RTL podcast, someone said they lost everything.. but that may be just a edge case.

Naekuh

Feb 12, 2018
Los Angeles
Really? The Model 3 owners who got the HW3 upgrade have reported that it wiped everything - game saves, spotify logins, driver profiles, etc.

i dont game on my tesla, so i wouldnt know.

Homelink - Did not get wiped.
Drivers Settings - Did not get wiped.
Radio Preset - Did not get wiped.
Spotify - Did not check as i do not use it in my car in fear it will wear out my eMMC even tho i have the MCU2 well now 3.
Camera - Yes had to recalibrate everything for about 15 miles of freeway driving.

Here is my invoice on the retrofit.
Tesla.jpg

and also the yellow border MCU Fix, which i hear people are still trying to get.

cucubits

May 17, 2019
TX
It looks like this is Service Center dependent. Most likely some don't know the procedure too well, or mess something up and end up doing a factory reset, which may or may not be required.

• Disagree
Reactions: PhilDavid

brkaus

Jul 8, 2014
Austin, TX
Mine was updated yesterday -

Homelink - worked
Games - never use, do not know
Drivers settings - worked
WiFi - had to reconnect to home network
Camera - did not have to recalibrate
Bluetooth - had to re-pair phone for voice, but phone as a key still worked
Radio Presets - really strange. They showed up on the "icon screen" but I could not select. I had to go to the station page and favorite each one and then the icon buttons worked.

I also think my maps downgraded, but not 100% sure. When I arrived home it said I had 2019-9 maps and then downloaded 2019-20 maps. I thought I had 2019-20 already.

They did tell me the process was finicky. Usually worked, but sometimes the firmware load had unpredictible issues.

bob_p

Apr 5, 2012
Our 2018 X had the AP3 processor upgrade done this week by mobile service - and other than seeing traffic lights/signs/cones, haven't noticed any difference. No settings were lost or changed.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC