Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apartment charger installation in Melbourne

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all!
I'm looking to get an M3 in the near future but want to ensure I can install a charger on Basement 2 of my 50 apartment building. Does anyone have any recommendations for electricians in Melbourne who have experience installing a charger that can be billed automatically to the strata? I'm looking at something like the Ocular chargers from EVSE, but open to any products really.

I've emailed a fair few electricians (including the ones recommended by Tesla) and getting sketchy or no response at all. My install is a little trickier as these chargers require internet access, so we need to work out how to put a 4G antenna or connect to my apartment's internet somehow, but I don't think these are insurmountable challenges. Am happy to deal with the body corp myself.

Awaiting your suggestions!

Samywamy:
When it comes to Body Corporates it's often easier to start talking about solutions that can be implemented not just for yourself, but others in the future also.
Can you give some more detail about how the Billing would work?

Samywamy:
When it comes to Body Corporates it's often easier to start talking about solutions that can be implemented not just for yourself, but others in the future also.
Can you give some more detail about how the Billing would work?
Hey BCTS,
Yup. So the Ocular IQ chargers can use the Exploren app so I can pay through the app and the cost of electricity gets reimbursed through to the body corp. This same system can also load balance, so if all 50 apartments all get one it can split the capacity across everyone. There's also JetCharge that does something similar, but they haven't been responsive to my emails at all.

Any electrician can install a charger. Its no different to any other appliance and has the same compliance requiements. I doubt the installer would have anything to do with wiring in a billing solution that is provided by the device and its app.
Pixel technologies make excellent 4g gateways for devices if you need one. Typically very easy to install by any competant electrician or security type person.
Most buildings or strata’s have a prefferred electrician, so maybe thats the friendliest direction?
Having installed these in apartments before, my recommendation is keep it simple. Use a standard grid certified din rail meter than anyone can read. You then pay the strata for the power you use. Cloud based is great, but I’m yet to see a strata that likes that as a concept, especially if it involves another party.
You can then just use a relatively cheap charger without the need for 4g.

I guess my concern with a regular meter is the body corp aren't going to be interested in coming out to read it, and then having to transfer money on an ad-hoc basis. But maybe a regular meter is an easier path forward...
What you’ll find is a load of older owners who dont know or trust cloud devices, but are happy to read a physical meter. usually one of these older people look closely at everything provided financially. You can offer to send a photo of the meter on whatever day they want, and I’m sure another resident will be concerned enough to want to check it. You can also get a meter that is a physical meter and can be logged into, but I’d be asking the strata corp which option they prefer. You could give them 3 choices. Once people have to make a choice they have already assumed it will be approved. Old real estate trick, its why in apartment sales you have 2 or 3 set choice of finishes.

Reactions: Hairyman and moa999