Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apartment charging / metering question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello fellow owners.

I recently purchased a M3P and my condo does not have charging solutions currently, but are looking to install 2 chargers in our valet area downstairs. The manager floated the idea of a chargepoint charger, which I am strongly against.
Why? Chargepoint is seriously the best system for shared charging. It's universal, can be used by all EVs (including Teslas, with the adapter), and furthermore, you can actually monitor its progress in the app. The building owner can set the rates at whatever they need to be to cover their expenses, it's capable of doing power sharing in larger setups so it's expandable, and you don't have to carry around a physical card either. You can start a session by using your cell phone. You can also stop a session by using your cell phone as well, remotely if you want to.

Why not get ChargePoint? The cost! Many single cord 40-48 amp hardwired EVSE cost $500, while a couple years ago ChargePoint charged $7,000 for a dual head 32 amp EVSE. This initial price also ignores their monthly bill as well for managing monitoring and charging.
ChargePoint seems to not have a great plan in terms of upgrades. Have you seen all of the units that are offline as they are still tied to 3G?