Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

apartment or townhome experiences charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been charging at home for the past 1.5 years using a 10G 5ft extension cord plugged into a regular outdoor outlet
i have a town home and my outdoor plug is about 25 ft from my vehicle so all i need is a 5 ft extension and i'm good

i am getting 6mph charging which works for me. i plug it in overnight and get 80 miles added no problem. actually my ONLY problem is if i plug something else into a connecting outlet then i trip, and i had to replace my GFI once. I use a cover on the plug and that is supposed to help shield away rain to prevent a GFI problem in the futre. i use some free chargers in my area when i am shopping and i supercharge for trips or when i am in a pinch. long story short this works just fine

my concern though is I might be moving in the next year to another townhome or apartment and i might need to use a 25ft or longer extension cord to charge. i am concerned that if i were to use a longer extension cord i might run into issues. would a 25ft or possible even longer 10g extension cord work or would i need to look for a townhome with a plug right next to my parking spot?

would a 25ft or possible even longer 10g extension cord work
Length and wire thickness are what contribute to the resistance. (and connection points, but that would be the same either way) 25 feet still isn't all that long, and especially with such a thick 10 gauge wire, I don't think that sounds like a problem. If you were going to be talking about 100 feet or 14 gauge wire, then it might be getting worse, which you could compensate for by turning the amps down some to reduce the voltage drop, but this sounds pretty OK.

Length and wire thickness are what contribute to the resistance. (and connection points, but that would be the same either way) 25 feet still isn't all that long, and especially with such a thick 10 gauge wire, I don't think that sounds like a problem. If you were going to be talking about 100 feet or 14 gauge wire, then it might be getting worse, which you could compensate for by turning the amps down some to reduce the voltage drop, but this sounds pretty OK.
so following up on that what is the longest 10G cord you all have had success with for longer than a few months? i saw a youtube video of someone who did like a 100 ft cord in his apartment building lol. but there was never a followup if that actually worked

As far as length goes, the difference between 5 and 25 feet is pretty minimal. For 12a charging at those lengths, even 12ga would be adequate. Of course, it would be best if you found a situation where you could use no extension cord at all. If I were house hunting, it would be a definite priority for me.

• Informative
Reactions: @heist80