Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apex 18x9.5 Wheels on 2022 M3P Hitting Knuckle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Konig Ampliform 18x9.5 ET35 have a least a few mm space between the rim and the knuckle. Have you verified the wheel is indeed et34?
Not all wheels in the same size have the same backspacing or the same ID for the inside of the barrel either. This is what I experienced with these wheels. Since our upright is curved the ID of the barrel on the backside is touching from what Apex told me when we ran into this issue with one of our early adopters. It was a bit of a mess tbh. This is why I always warn people to run a 5mm spacer on any 18x9.5 +35 with OEM P rotors.

Reactions: travass808
Not all wheels in the same size have the same backspacing or the same ID for the inside of the barrel either. This is what I experienced with these wheels. Since our upright is curved the ID of the barrel on the backside is touching from what Apex told me when we ran into this issue with one of our early adopters. It was a bit of a mess tbh. This is why I always warn people to run a 5mm spacer on any 18x9.5 +35 with OEM P rotors.
Another reason why wheel manufacturers should publish all dimensions. One can easily calculate backspace with wheel width and offset but most just rely on the limited info available or what the retailer says.

Reactions: Lindenwood
Another reason why wheel manufacturers should publish all dimensions. One can easily calculate backspace with wheel width and offset but most just rely on the limited info available or what the retailer says.
It's so much more complicated than that though because you're checking a radial measurement, "backspacing", relative to a specific axial measurement. So it's referencing 2 dimensions which is just too complicated for the regular person. The easier thing is to make a blanket statement that an 18x9.5 +30 will work on a performance 3 with stock rotors. Many have learned this and moved to a +29 or +30 offset as a result. If a manufacturer posts backspacing, which some definitely do, it only has value if the customer knows what backspacing limitations they have. This means data needs to be published or available on both sides.

It's so much more complicated than that though because you're checking a radial measurement, "backspacing", relative to a specific axial measurement. So it's referencing 2 dimensions which is just too complicated for the regular person. The easier thing is to make a blanket statement that an 18x9.5 +30 will work on a performance 3 with stock rotors. Many have learned this and moved to a +29 or +30 offset as a result. If a manufacturer posts backspacing, which some definitely do, it only has value if the customer knows what backspacing limitations they have. This means data needs to be published or available on both sides.
Another reason to buy vehicle specific wheels when the fitment is questionable. Some don't have the luxury to do trial and error.

Let's hope their new Sprint Line doesn't have this issue.
There is nothing really special about it. Someone failed execute their job and just assumed SR/LR/AWD is the same as P, that is all. :)

Agreed - it made sense when they were just repurposing the Mustang wheel, but this wheel was a massive letdown IMO.

The EC-7R featured a thicker inner lip compared to the EC-7 Mustang wheel. There was a breakdown in communication between sales and engineering internally when they added more material to the EC-7R inner lip, which caused the issue. It was never intended to be used without a spacer on Performance Models as we knew the difference in rotor hat thickness. We were expecting to use a 3mm spacer but through some trial and errors (mostly errors), realized a 5mm is needed.

I know not everyone wants to run a spacer up front, so that is ultimately why this EC-7R was only produced once in low quantities and has been discontinued in favor of the VS-5RS offerings. Personally I prefer the rear fitment of an ET34ish wheel better compared to an ET29, but you all are the ones buying them so we needed to listen to the community and make the change :)

There are a few interesting complexities with the Model 3 front suspension that introduce a number of variables into wider wheel fitment. The new 18x9.5" ET29 and 19x9.5" ET29 VS-5RS wheels will not need a spacer up front when used with 265 wide tires, we have confirmed this with a number of compounds and setups at this point. There are likely some 275 wide tires that will need a spacer, so it's up to the end user to determine the correct thickness based on their suspension and tire combo.

Anyways, sorry for being late to the party here but I hope everyone is finally enjoying their wheels and don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions! I've attached a few cell phone shots of the VS-5RS from a shoot we did yesterday afternoon.

- Cory

Attachments

• 123_1(9).jpeg
    123_1(9).jpeg
    307.2 KB · Views: 1,067
  • 123_1(8).jpeg
    123_1(8).jpeg
    364.2 KB · Views: 328
  • 123_1(10).jpeg
    123_1(10).jpeg
    333.4 KB · Views: 353
The EC-7R featured a thicker inner lip compared to the EC-7 Mustang wheel. There was a breakdown in communication between sales and engineering internally when they added more material to the EC-7R inner lip, which caused the issue. It was never intended to be used without a spacer on Performance Models as we knew the difference in rotor hat thickness. We were expecting to use a 3mm spacer but through some trial and errors (mostly errors), realized a 5mm is needed.

I know not everyone wants to run a spacer up front, so that is ultimately why this EC-7R was only produced once in low quantities and has been discontinued in favor of the VS-5RS offerings. Personally I prefer the rear fitment of an ET34ish wheel better compared to an ET29, but you all are the ones buying them so we needed to listen to the community and make the change :)

There are a few interesting complexities with the Model 3 front suspension that introduce a number of variables into wider wheel fitment. The new 18x9.5" ET29 and 19x9.5" ET29 VS-5RS wheels will not need a spacer up front when used with 265 wide tires, we have confirmed this with a number of compounds and setups at this point. There are likely some 275 wide tires that will need a spacer, so it's up to the end user to determine the correct thickness based on their suspension and tire combo.

Anyways, sorry for being late to the party here but I hope everyone is finally enjoying their wheels and don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions! I've attached a few cell phone shots of the VS-5RS from a shoot we did yesterday afternoon.

- Cory
Don't get me wrong, you guys make great wheels and I've purchased several sets over the years for various cars.

That being said, I feel like it would have made a lot more sense to have the forged offering be a 19x10.5 since, to me anyway, that's what most people (including myself) would want if we're going to get forged wheels. The 9.5 flow-formed wheel was/is a great entry level wheel for people running light modifications. But, to extract the most tire on this platform 10.5's (or even 11's) are required.

Anyway, that's what I would have advocated for. 9.5" flow-formed and 10.5" forged.

Reactions: superflyrolla
Don't get me wrong, you guys make great wheels and I've purchased several sets over the years for various cars.

That being said, I feel like it would have made a lot more sense to have the forged offering be a 19x10.5 since, to me anyway, that's what most people (including myself) would want if we're going to get forged wheels. The 9.5 flow-formed wheel was/is a great entry level wheel for people running light modifications. But, to extract the most tire on this platform 10.5's (or even 11's) are required.

Anyway, that's what I would have advocated for. 9.5" flow-formed and 10.5" forged.
Agree 100% on wider wheels. We are going to do that, likely 10.5", in the near future. We have so much going on it's hard to squeeze in new fitments like that but it's on my short list. I'd like to think it'll be available before the end of the year. VS-5RS design preferred? And what offset do you want? Something that can fit the front and rear without spacers, but be very aggressive out back? Or something that has better rear fitment but requires some spacers up front?

Agree 100% on wider wheels. We are going to do that, likely 10.5", in the near future. We have so much going on it's hard to squeeze in new fitments like that but it's on my short list. I'd like to think it'll be available before the end of the year. VS-5RS design preferred? And what offset do you want? Something that can fit the front and rear without spacers, but be very aggressive out back? Or something that has better rear fitment but requires some spacers up front?
10.5 ET25 seems to be the go-to "bolt-on", but it does result in the rear being a bit pokey even with a lot of camber. Therefore, I think a +30 is the better option, but you may end up putting a small spacer on the front which is no big deal, IMO.

10.5 ET25 seems to be the go-to "bolt-on", but it does result in the rear being a bit pokey even with a lot of camber. Therefore, I think a +30 is the better option, but you may end up putting a small spacer on the front which is no big deal, IMO.
I think ET25 18x10.5 is only bolt-on for people with aftermarket rotors. With stock rotors and 18x10.5, the effective offset of 20 would be needed up front. With 8mm spacer being the thickest safe-ish option w/o aftermarket studs, the wheel would have to be ET28 offset tops.

Maybe 19x10.5 ET25 fits with stock rotors, not sure.

Maybe an ET40 wheel is an option? Make it 15mm-bolt-on-spacer-friendly and it'd work for many people.

I think ET25 18x10.5 is only bolt-on for people with aftermarket rotors. With stock rotors and 18x10.5, the effective offset of 20 would be needed up front. With 8mm spacer being the thickest safe-ish option w/o aftermarket studs, the wheel would have to be ET28 offset tops.

Maybe 19x10.5 ET25 fits with stock rotors, not sure.

Maybe an ET40 wheel is an option? Make it 15mm-bolt-on-spacer-friendly and it'd work for many people.
I'll need to double check but I think 18x10.5 ET25 fits with the stock rotors, 19x10.5 ET25 for sure.

I'm not a big fan of those stud to stud spacers. I worry a hair about the quality of the studs, and they just seem like a huge pain to use. Also, ET40 results in the rear wheels being pushed in quite a ways, so then you would likely basically just end up using 15mm spacers all around or maybe an 8mm in the rear. Seems like a lot of extra work/parts.