Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

App and phone key not working iPhone 13

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there,

since the latest iPhone 12 software update to iOS 14.7.1, my phonekey and app have suddenly stopped working. I can’t even get to a screen where I can edit them. I uninstall and reinstall the Tesla app, and I turn off the phone and or the Bluetooth settings and turn them back on, and nothing. My wife has an android and hers is still connecting no problems to the car. The error message I get is “Failed to load. Please try again. NSURLErrorDomain”.

Anyone else with this problem? Any tips?

thanks, Andrew

Attachments

• 43A360DD-F983-4067-8F80-25AA72690ADE.png
    43A360DD-F983-4067-8F80-25AA72690ADE.png
    16.1 KB · Views: 242
FYI, my camera was recalibrated through the settings. It only took about a 12 miles for it to work and get autopilot running. Still doing windshield in morning. I can set it manually for face, but even after driving for 20 miles and putting it on auto after it defaults to windshield vent.

It worked fine with my iPhone XS. Got my new iPhone 13 Pro today and transferred everything from the XS. Followed the procedure to reconnect Tesla Model 3 phone key with success. However cannot connect the phone and media player. Click on Search on the Tesla Add Device screen and saw the spinner for more than 10 minutes. It fails to find any new devices. Obviously, the Bluetooth connections to Apple Watch, AirPod Pro and Tesla Phone Key are all working properly. Anybody has suggestions?

It worked fine with my iPhone XS. Got my new iPhone 13 Pro today and transferred everything from the XS. Followed the procedure to reconnect Tesla Model 3 phone key with success. However cannot connect the phone and media player. Click on Search on the Tesla Add Device screen and saw the spinner for more than 10 minutes. It fails to find any new devices. Obviously, the Bluetooth connections to Apple Watch, AirPod Pro and Tesla Phone Key are all working properly. Anybody has suggestions?
Had a slight issue with initial config. Had to make sure there weren’t any other phones connected (including my old one) before the new would setup key and Bluetooth. Other than that it was flawless.

I have had a few instances where my iPhone 13 Pro would not connect to my Model 3; as in the vehicle would not recognize it when approached thus not unlocking. Cycling Bluetooth may have helped however in another instance the car recognized the phone after ~10 seconds (as I look like Im trying to break into my own car haha). I have a magsafe case, maybe that's a factor? Nevertheless, seems kind of strange.

Just before switching to an iPhone 13 Pro, iPhone X was "deactivated" mysteriously. (Posted that issue in a separate thread iPhone X deactivated.)
After finishing the activation and transfer from X to 13 Pro, the Tesla app looked to be working fine both from a distance as well as walking up to MY, unlocking and starting. Noticed that the Tesla "Locks" screen still listed my phone key as "iPhone X". Assuming it was reading that label from the name in iOS settings (carried over from X ==> 13 Pro transfer), I changed the name in the iOS settings. Still not reflected in Tesla "Locks" screen, I deleted the iPhone 13 Pro from the Tesla then set it up like a new phone key ... still not reading the newly added label for the phone. Tried same cycle again after finding the iPhone X, completely powering it off and putting it a distance from the car ... still not reading the newly added label.

At this point everything else seems to be working so will just have to live with the old name in the Locks panel. Point of this story is iPhone 13 Pro is working with only a slight cosmetic issue.

As a data point. I have a MY running software v.2021.24.11, and an iPhone 12 Pro Max with iOS 15.0.2. starting with this current software iteration (on both devices), my phone will repeatedly fail to unlock the car door when I approach, and sometimes even after pulling on the handle several times. I'd estimate that it works correctly about 70% of the time now. I've had to use the app to "unlock" the door twice so far (which thankfully seems to work every time). I think one of the two updates has created issues with the system because it worked just fine up until now. Hopefully, whatever is broken, get's fixed in an update soon.

Reactions: BobG1
As a data point. I have a MY running software v.2021.24.11, and an iPhone 12 Pro Max with iOS 15.0.2. starting with this current software iteration (on both devices), my phone will repeatedly fail to unlock the car door when I approach, and sometimes even after pulling on the handle several times. I'd estimate that it works correctly about 70% of the time now. I've had to use the app to "unlock" the door twice so far (which thankfully seems to work every time). I think one of the two updates has created issues with the system because it worked just fine up until now. Hopefully, whatever is broken, get's fixed in an update soon.
MY running v2021.36 as of 10/25/2021 and iPhone 13 Pro with iOS 15.0.2. Have had no issues since the deactivated phone card I wrote about above on 10/23/2021. That was the only time MY failed to open when I approached. The app unlocked for me too.

Could be interesting to track phone card anomalies for a short time along with software versions for Tesla and iOS.

I have the same thing, but I'm on android. A couple times I could unlock the car with the phone, but had to use the key to drive. Interestingly, if I turn on auto-summon, that issue goes away. Probably because the car isn't "sleeping". This is another issue that makes me wonder about the chips they used to get vehicles out in Q3 (got mine 9-23-21). I don't even know if they used substitute chips in my car, but I'm trying to find out, out of curiosity.

Is the location setting for Tesla app set to “Always”?

Reactions: BobG1
It is, yes. This is a recent issue, before now it has worked pretty flawlessly.
I have this same issue, newest software on car and phone, Iphone 13 pro max.
Almost everyday during last month I was only be able to drive after opening tesla app (even just 10sec ago I was able to open doors without touching phone)
Then sometimes also outside car, need to open app and then can open doors.

Location = Always (precise location ON)
Bluetooth = ON
Backgroud App refresh = ON
Mobile data = ON