Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

App and widget updating vehicle status separately?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently updated the Tesla app on Android and the new home screen widget is a huge improvement, especially compared with trying to access the quick controls from the notification.

However, I notice that the widget seem to fetch updated vehicle information separately from the app. It frequently shows status information from different times. Example in the screenshots below (although the mileage is now consistent in the screenshots it said 150 miles in the app when I first opened it).

Also it's annoying from a battery life perspective for the widget to update the last updated timer on screen every second, since that prevents some power management optimisations.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211123-112435.png
    Screenshot_20211123-112435.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 405
  • Screenshot_20211123-112444.png
    Screenshot_20211123-112444.png
    403.9 KB · Views: 157
There will be discrepancies between the widgets and the app and that is by design. When you start the app, it immediately starts waking the car up. The app shows what it knows while it waits. Once the car wakes up and information is returned, it will show "live" information from the car.
The widget should never wake the car up. If it did, the simple fact of using the widget would mean the car can never go to sleep. Because of that, you will get whatever information was available the last time the widget was able to get information. There are some API services that can be called without waking the car up. I'm guessing the widget uses those, or there is caching going on in the app. That part I'm not sure. In any case, if the car sleeps, it cannot provide live information.

There will be discrepancies between the widgets and the app and that is by design. When you start the app, it immediately starts waking the car up. The app shows what it knows while it waits. Once the car wakes up and information is returned, it will show "live" information from the car.
The widget should never wake the car up. If it did, the simple fact of using the widget would mean the car can never go to sleep. Because of that, you will get whatever information was available the last time the widget was able to get information. There are some API services that can be called without waking the car up. I'm guessing the widget uses those, or there is caching going on in the app. That part I'm not sure. In any case, if the car sleeps, it cannot provide live information.
The widget displaying the last snapshot of information polled by the app is the design I would've assumed, but it seemed like the state in shown in the app was behind the widget on occasions.