Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

App becoming required

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I bought my Model Y I was assured that the phone app was not required. Recently my credit card was stolen and then canceled so the Premium Connectivity service couldn't charge its fee. I have a new card but I'm told that resubscribing and changing my card can only be done in the app which feels like a bait and switch. The car is no longer in the state I bought it in as it's missing Premium Connectivity and in order to restore it to that state I'm required to install the app which was not required when I bought it.

So that's my story. I feel like there will be a slow creep of Tesla features into the app until it is flat-out required.

Did you get that answer in writing or did it come from a sales person?
I've gotten it in person from the dealership, and I also called customer service and the rep on the phone tried a lot of things with me but all failed. He told me to update the software and then to email him to let him know if that fixed it. It did not and we've traded a couple emails since then. So I guess he's trying but he will fail. Where else are you going to get automotive customer support like that? I will miss Tesla but this is my line in the sand.

I've gotten it in person from the dealership, and I also called customer service and the rep on the phone tried a lot of things with me but all failed. He told me to update the software and then to email him to let him know if that fixed it. It did not and we've traded a couple emails since then. So I guess he's trying but he will fail. Where else are you going to get automotive customer support like that? I will miss Tesla but this is my line in the sand.

There is no one in a tesla "dealership" who could tell you with any certainty that you would never, ever, have to use the Tesla app. No one in Tesla can promise that except the CEO.

Im not debating they told you, when you bought the car, that you didnt need the app for what you wanted to use the car for. I am saying that even if they told you "you will never need the app" that they would have had no way to know that. In any case, since this is your line in the sand, I will wish you good luck with whatever resolution you intend to pursue.

The car is no longer in the state I bought it in as it's missing Premium Connectivity and in order to restore it to that state I'm required to install the app which was not required when I bought it.
The car is in the exact same state it was when you bought it.

You’re being dramatic with the “bait and switch” talk.

Can you still turn the car on and does it drive? Well, okay then.

For anything software related (like premium connectivity) you may want to browse through your license agreement.

While I don't understand why you wouldn't want the convenience of the app, if you really don't want it you could install it, set up the premium connectivity, then uninstall it. Personally, I love having the app as my car key and being able to remotely preheat the interior and prepare the battery for use in the winter.

Yeah, that's what I thought. They've added features to the mobile app but it's just a second way to do things. I would assume everything's still doable in the website too. Now if you try to go to the website on your cell phone, the phone might redirect some of those pages to the app instead, as many websites do. Try going on the website with a real computer.

Why are you opposed to using the Tesla app? There are certain features that are only available with the app, for example, charging and other notifications. I don’t know if it’s possible to schedule service without the app. As others said, if you’re unwilling to use the app, a Tesla probably isn’t the right car for you.

When I bought my Model Y I was assured that the phone app was not required. Recently my credit card was stolen and then canceled so the Premium Connectivity service couldn't charge its fee. I have a new card but I'm told that resubscribing and changing my card can only be done in the app which feels like a bait and switch. The car is no longer in the state I bought it in as it's missing Premium Connectivity and in order to restore it to that state I'm required to install the app which was not required when I bought it.

So that's my story. I feel like there will be a slow creep of Tesla features into the app until it is flat-out required.
Sorry but what a goofy complaint and post. YOU canceled your CC and your upset its Teslas fault. Lol. You managed to Buy the car and set it up before yet now your completely lost. Maybe just log into the same website and set it up again. Some people just like to Find things to complain about. In the time you took to post this you could have solved your own complaint.

Use of the smartphone app is REQUIRED today, at least for new cars. Mainly because your phone is the primary key. The fobs and cards are all secondary to the phone. For legacy S and X, the fobs were king and not user programable. But for cars delivered today, which includes all 3 and Y, Tesla will make sure your phone is tied to the car. You can set up the fobs and cards after you get home.

• Disagree
Reactions: Big Earl
Yeah, that's what I thought. They've added features to the mobile app but it's just a second way to do things. I would assume everything's still doable in the website too. Now if you try to go to the website on your cell phone, the phone might redirect some of those pages to the app instead, as many websites do. Try going on the website with a real computer.

I dont think you can add additional drivers using the website any longer. Thats where you used to do it, but now It says:

tesla car access.PNG

I dont think this is the only thing that got migrated like this either. This one stands out to me because I think I wrote a guide on how to add users to your account, and that used to be using the website.

I dont think this is necessarily a bad thing, but like @ucmndd said ( and I agree with ), for anyone that refuses to use a phone app to interact with their vehicle in any way, shape or form:

If a phone app is a bridge too far, you’ve bought the wrong car. Get out now.

Reactions: GtiMart
If you think you’re mad now, just wait til you need to schedule service. 😂

If a phone app is a bridge too far, you’ve bought the wrong car. Get out now.
I agree. I don't own a smart phone, so scheduling service had to be done through my wife's tablet. That went OK, only but without being able to receive texts, it was a little difficult to get the service completed.
I acknowledge that I'm an outlier, but I think it should be possible to schedule service via the web.

Premium Connectivity subscriptions are now app-only. See attached photo. The website will still take your credit card but not for Premium Connectivity. It's only for ordering accessories and supercharging now.

I agree 100% with everyone who said if I don't want to use the app then I'm in the wrong car. Otherwise DCGOO is the only one that got it right. The app-optional car I bought is now app-required.

PXL_20221006_221133472.jpg