Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

App can't connect to my Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Starting from today, can't use my app to control my Y, always show "check internet connection", even in my garage with good wifi signal. Rebooted my phone and my Y, nothing changed. Phone as key works normally. Have anyone got similar issue before? Can't even use the app to set up service appointment... My LTE plan ends next week, but this shouldn't have anything to do with wifi connection, right? Can't even connect while siting inside the car.

Having the same issue connecting to my Y. Worked for a while and now seems to not want to connect no matter what I do. Uninstall the app, restart phone etc. nobody seems to have an answer to this issue. Frustrating as a new owner.

Having the same issue connecting to my Y. Worked for a while and now seems to not want to connect no matter what I do. Uninstall the app, restart phone etc. nobody seems to have an answer to this issue. Frustrating as a new owner.
Having the same exact issue and I can't find any answers. I've tried everything from restating the car, un installing all etc. Nothing

I have a slightly variation of this issue which is that I have a Samsung Z Flip 3 phone and AM able bring the app up but the app goes to sleep (times-out) and I am unable to change the time-out settings on my Samsung Z Flip 3 phone.
So my question is, are you guys experiencing this issue with a Samsung Android phone or are other Android and/or Apple phones doing the same thing?
Thank you
Bob

I have another different variation of the issue with my Model 3. If I am connected to home WIFI with both the car and phone, I cannot use the app to control car or to connect to it. If I disconnect my phone from WIFI and use cell network on the phone it works fine. Strangely, If I open the car door in the garage to wake the car up, then the app works even on WIFI until car goes to sleep but the phone app will not wake the car if phone is connected to same WIFI as the car.

I have another different variation of the issue with my Model 3. If I am connected to home WIFI with both the car and phone, I cannot use the app to control car or to connect to it. If I disconnect my phone from WIFI and use cell network on the phone it works fine. Strangely, If I open the car door in the garage to wake the car up, then the app works even on WIFI until car goes to sleep but the phone app will not wake the car if phone is connected to same WIFI as the car.
I wonder if you have client isolation mode enabled on your WiFi? Are you connecting to guest access WiFI on the MY?
Wireless Client Isolation
Have you tried connecting to a different WiFI?

I wonder if you have client isolation mode enabled on your WiFi? Are you connecting to guest access WiFI on the MY?
When you walk up to the Tesla vehicle the Tesla phone app communicates with the Tesla vehicle via Bluetooth (BT). When you are not within BT range of the Tesla vehicle the Tesla phone app communicates with the Tesla servers in the cloud. The Tesla servers relay commands to the Tesla vehicle via LTE. The Tesla phone app can use WiFi or LTE to communicate with the Tesla servers. When the Tesla vehicle is asleep the WiFi modem is turned off. The only way to communicate with the Tesla vehicle to wake it up is via BT or LTE. You are also able to unlock the Tesla vehicle using NFC and the key card.

So I went over my WIFI AP configuration and I do not have Client Isolation enabled, in fact that value is set to disabled on both SSID-s the AP runs. I can also verify that as I can create a file share on my laptop that connects to WIFI and have my phone access that files hare with my laptop credentials while both are on same WIFI. So seems more like the car/tesla phone app issue.
When you walk up to the Tesla vehicle the Tesla phone app communicates with the Tesla vehicle via Bluetooth (BT). When you are not within BT range of the Tesla vehicle the Tesla phone app communicates with the Tesla servers in the cloud. The Tesla servers relay commands to the Tesla vehicle via LTE. The Tesla phone app can use WIFI or LTE to communicate with the Tesla servers. When the Tesla vehicle is asleep the WiFi modem is turned off. The only way to communicate with the Tesla vehicle to wake it up is via BT or LTE. You are also able to unlock the Tesla vehicle using NFC and the key card.
My garage is right next to my living room with just a Gyproc wall between, the phone app Tesla alert shows connected on the alerts bar while I am in living room, however when I open the app, it says attempting to connect and never gets connection to the car unless I move to the car and open car door. So standing next to the car does not switch that communication to Bluetooth or LTE unless I open the car door or switch my phone to use LTE instead of WIFI. So if my phone app talks to Tesla servers using WIFI on my phone and the Tesla servers can wake the car using LTE, how come the Tesla servers need me to swap my phone to LTE also before they decide to wake the car or need me to wake the car by opening a door? I wonder if there is a glitch in the app in that if it is on same WIFI as the car, it does not try to ask the servers to wake the car, but if its on LTE it cannot talk to car directly so has to ask the servers to initiate the connection?

So I went over my WIFI AP configuration and I do not have Client Isolation enabled, in fact that value is set to disabled on both SSID-s the AP runs. I can also verify that as I can create a file share on my laptop that connects to WIFI and have my phone access that files hare with my laptop credentials while both are on same WIFI. So seems more like the car/tesla phone app issue.

My garage is right next to my living room with just a Gyproc wall between, the phone app Tesla alert shows connected on the alerts bar while I am in living room, however when I open the app, it says attempting to connect and never gets connection to the car unless I move to the car and open car door. So standing next to the car does not switch that communication to Bluetooth or LTE unless I open the car door or switch my phone to use LTE instead of WIFI. So if my phone app talks to Tesla servers using WIFI on my phone and the Tesla servers can wake the car using LTE, how come the Tesla servers need me to swap my phone to LTE also before they decide to wake the car or need me to wake the car by opening a door? I wonder if there is a glitch in the app in that if it is on same WIFI as the car, it does not try to ask the servers to wake the car, but if its on LTE it cannot talk to car directly so has to ask the servers to initiate the connection?
You could try briefly turning off BT on your phone. The Tesla app should connect to the Tesla servers via WiFi or LTE. The Tesla vehicle would not detect a BT signal from the phone.

Also try rebooting the Tesla vehicle and see if that resolves the connectivity issue. You could drop the WiFi connection from the Tesla vehicle and reconnect to the WiFi network later. Unless you like to sit in the Tesla vehicle and stream videos while parked at home the only time the Tesla vehicle needs to be connected to your home WiFi is when downloading updates.

2022.16.1.2 caused issues with WiFi that I had not encountered with any previous release. I ended up deleting the WiFi connection from the Telsa vehicle and rebooting (several times) before the Tesla Model Y was able to resume and successfully complete downloading 2022.16.2. Since installing 2022.16.2 the WiFi connection problem has not recurred.

Last edited:
You could try briefly turning off BT on your phone. The Tesla app should connect to the Tesla servers via WiFi or LTE. The Tesla vehicle would not detect a BT signal from the phone.

Also try rebooting the Tesla vehicle and see if that resolves the connectivity issue. You could drop the WiFi connection from the Tesla vehicle and reconnect to the WiFi network later. Unless you like to sit in the Tesla vehicle and stream videos while parked at home the only time the Tesla vehicle needs to be connected to your home WiFi is when downloading updates.

2022.16.1.2 caused issues with WiFi that I had not encountered with any previous release. I ended up deleting the WiFi connection from the Telsa vehicle and rebooting (several times) before the Tesla Model Y was able to resume and successfully complete downloading 2022.16.2. Since installing 2022.16.2 the WiFi connection problem has not recurred.
on 2022.12.3.2 I did reboots at least 1-2 times a day and that did not help with the connection issues or other issues with that firmware, Over a month I did more that 40 reboots. But I have not tried to just disable BT on the phone. So far with BT on and connected but WIFI on and connected the app does not seem to be able to connect to the car if car is asleep, but BT on and connected but WIFI disconnected and using LTE, the phone app is fully capable of connecting and waking the car. I will try BT off but WIFI connected and see what that does.

So, I did some testing. Turning off BT on the phone does not change anything and the phone still will not wake up the car if the phone is connected to WIFI. When turning on BT, it takes a moment connecting and then says connected to the car, however will not wake the car and the app is still saying "401 Session Expired" and the circle is spinning that tries to connect. As soon as I open the car door, it connects and also if I turn off the WIFI on the phone, it takes about 2-3 seconds and then connects fine. If I turn WIFI back on it continues to stay connected and control car features. So definitely something does not wake the car when phone is connected to WIFI.

So, I did some testing. Turning off BT on the phone does not change anything and the phone still will not wake up the car if the phone is connected to WIFI. When turning on BT, it takes a moment connecting and then says connected to the car, however will not wake the car and the app is still saying "401 Session Expired" and the circle is spinning that tries to connect. As soon as I open the car door, it connects and also if I turn off the WIFI on the phone, it takes about 2-3 seconds and then connects fine. If I turn WIFI back on it continues to stay connected and control car features. So definitely something does not wake the car when phone is connected to WIFI.
Try logging out of the Tesla account on your phone app. Reboot the phone and then log back into the Tesla account. (You could also try deleting the Tesla account from the phone (after you log out) and then reinstalling the latest version of the Tesla app on your phone before logging in.

You could also try removing the WiFi connection from the phone, connect to the Tesla servers via LTE, then re-adding the WiFi connection. If none of this helps then you may want to open a service request via the Tesla app and describe the issue. Fixing this may require that Tesla may have to clear some cache or settings on the Tesla servers.

Has anyone brought this up with the repair service? I live pretty far so I haven't yet. My 2022 mY was fine for the first month but now this problem is nearly non stop.. of course it would wait until winter when I really need the preheating!