Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

App/car recognition issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

exlatccatsa

Supporting Member
Mar 6, 2020
Kemnay
I've had a few occasions since installing android app 4.2 and 36.5.5 where the car isn't unlocking on approach. It never used to be a problem but it seems this version of the app can't connect immediately to the car. I had to use the keycard to unlock the car and spent the next 30 mins trying to re pair my phone after trying an app delete. Nothing I have done has solved the problem. Its not too bad when it isn't raining but waiting for even 30 seconds in the pouring rain, for the car to unlock isn't how it should be. There was a glitch like this about15 or 16 months ago which was solved by a software update and it has been great ever since anyone else had similar experiences?

I’ve not had any issues.

My go-to resolution for all things is turn it off and on again. I’d restart the phone, do a reset on the car and see if that helps.

Might also be worth checking you have the latest app. 4.2.2 arrived recently.

I had a few issues like this a year or so ago, but nothing recently.

Ive noticed that too. And it's always when it is tipping it down with rain, so you end up stood at the car trying to get the Tesla app to connect so you can get into the bloody thing.
2021.36.5.5 seems to have improved it for me...it seemed to be the previous software install that was causing the problem.

Reactions: exlatccatsa
I've noticed more issues recently. Even to the point that the car has locked with someone inside a couple of times when I have been close outside - one occasion clearing leaves off the window. On at least one of these occasions, another phone key was inside the car (thankfully I still had mine on me) although we can not be 100% that the app was open - it should have been but I'm not ruling it out being accidentally closed on this occasion.

Also, anecdotally, I've noticed the car seemingly being in a deeper slumber at times. Which may explain why it is sometimes taking a bit longer to wake.

I’ve not had any issues.

My go-to resolution for all things is turn it off and on again. I’d restart the phone, do a reset on the car and see if that helps.

Might also be worth checking you have the latest app. 4.2.2 arrived recently.

I had a few issues like this a year or so ago, but nothing recently.
Thanks, car, phone and app rebooted. Then app deleted and reloaded 4.2.2... I'll give 4.2.3 a try when its available.. it wasn't raining today and seemed to have only a small delay..sods law!!

I've noticed more issues recently. Even to the point that the car has locked with someone inside a couple of times when I have been close outside - one occasion clearing leaves off the window. On at least one of these occasions, another phone key was inside the car (thankfully I still had mine on me) although we can not be 100% that the app was open - it should have been but I'm not ruling it out being accidentally closed on this occasion.

Also, anecdotally, I've noticed the car seemingly being in a deeper slumber at times. Which may explain why it is sometimes taking a bit longer to wake.
Add my name to the 'my own car won't let me in and it's bloody raining' crew.

We didn't have any problems in the first few months of ownership but then my wife's android phone started to not always open up the car. (She'd often have to manually open the phone and invoke the Tesla app, already running in the background, and occasionally even go as far as open the doors with the app - at which point, the car would think she was me, for some reason.) But I've started having issues in the last few weeks as well - I've been making sure my Android BlackBerry is 'active' as I approach the car, and sometimes I've had to make sure the Tesla app is actually open. (If I'm on my own, I never get the car thinking I'm my wife, but on a handful of occasions it has asked for the card to be placed by the cupholder. I've only actually had to do this on one occasion, but it so freaked me out that I now carry the card with me as well - which I know you're supposed to do. The thought of having commuted to work and being over 75 miles from both keycards and unable to drive the car is somewhat terrifying.)

The car's recently updated to 36.5.5 and the app is now 4.2.3-742, and it's possible things have improved, but I might do some reboots later as well. The car being in a much deeper sleep than it used to might explain a lot of things (I prefer using the Tessie app, which I believe interrogates the car without waking it).

It's all such a shame as when it works, it works perfectly. (The intermittent brilliance of the Tesla means I keep walking away from our Leaf, with the radio on, expecting it to switch off and lock itself. ;) )

I've also had the 'my own car won't let me in and it's bloody raining' performance. Usually cured by waking up the app and/or swearing a bit.

A variation I had the other day was that the car let me in, but then asked for the key card to be presented. Not easy when its at home. Opened the app again and it let me off.

This was on 4.2.2 I think. I have today updated again so we'll see how that goes.

Reactions: DigbyChicken
It's really never worked for me in over 12 months. I have a Huawei phone and I know they're pretty aggressive power managing apps so maybe thats it...
The keycard really is a rubbish solution if you want to get in the boot, frunk, passenger side, or just have your hands full
I was going to shell out for the fob. Any views?

It's really never worked for me in over 12 months. I have a Huawei phone and I know they're pretty aggressive power managing apps so maybe thats it...
The keycard really is a rubbish solution if you want to get in the boot, frunk, passenger side, or just have your hands full
I was going to shell out for the fob. Any views?

Fob for me!
Though I have the App on my cheapo Android Umidigi phone I've never paired it for use as a 'key' though do use it for Bluetooth phone calls/messages.
I bought the fob before I collected the car and with a rubber pouch round it attached to the house keys.
Worked perfectly for me staying in my pocket - walk up open the door, walk away and it locks perfectly.
Boot and bonnet buttons work, also opens the charge port and can disconnect non-Tesla charging plugs.
Apparently also works like a 'keycard' for access and 'ignition' if its battery dies.
OK £140 was expensive (£150 now) but I've had no bother with it for over 12 months now.

Reactions: candida