Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

App / Competition to encourage driving new roads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2020
Arkansas
It's been a long time since I've seen anyone talk about it, but the data crowd sourcing of Tesla cars about roads and road conditions could be greatly enhanced by gamifying it. If roads were assigned point values based on how recently a Tesla was driven on it, and vehicles collected points by driving on roads, you could encourage owners to drive different routes so their vehicle could collect more diverse road condition information.

The 'road point value' information could be a selectable layer on the main map display.

Participants could simply be ranked by their "road points", or the points could be exchangeable for something, such as Supercharging kWh.

There would probably need to be requirements such as daylight driving and within 10% of the speed limit, and of course your cameras would have to be fully functional with no obstructions including road grime.

But similar to how Google gamifies data collection and creation, Tesla could really jump on that. Even making visuals of things like Sonic, Mario, or Pac-Man, on the map, with rings, coins, or pellets, that the driver collects as they drive.

It's been a long time since I've seen anyone talk about it, but the data crowd sourcing of Tesla cars about roads and road conditions could be greatly enhanced by gamifying it. If roads were assigned point values based on how recently a Tesla was driven on it, and vehicles collected points by driving on roads, you could encourage owners to drive different routes so their vehicle could collect more diverse road condition information.

I just drove an 18.9-mile stretch of Levee Rd. What do I win? :D

Nearest street view here:

Google Maps

The road runs along the top of the adjacent embankment. Gravel, large potholes that extend the width of the road, and... I counted nine aeries, likely all from bald eagles. Dozens of red-tail hawks, several eagles (both adult and juvenile). Nice drive... except for the road.

Reactions: LoudMusic
I just drove an 18.9-mile stretch of Levee Rd. What do I win? :D

I think being the first person to drive a particular road could be big points. But if it's really obscure, maybe the time to build point value back up on that road again would take longer. So yeah you score big the first time! Yay! But waiting a month to drive it again won't score much because only crazy people go there ;)

But something like a seldom used road parallel to a heavy used road in a downtown might net more points for re-driving it because it could be a good alternative route that they just need to keep information updated for.

Or they could put high point values on alternative routes between cities in order to determine if it's a good route to put a Supercharger location on. Or even just putting high point values on roads around a specific area in a city that they want road information about for Superchargers.