Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

App Connection down?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Normally I would agree with you, but now that it's been established that Tesla's servers can go offline and make the app unusable for every owner in the world for 9 6 hours (and counting), it might be worth reevaluating whether adding Bluetooth is really such a waste of time.

I think a big part of the thing is just development time. Tesla has a lot going on right now without worrying about something like this(finishing getting the Model 3 functional, AP improvements, speeding up the MCU and getting both versions of it onto a common codebase, merging Model 3 codebase with Model S/X, all while facing massive cash burn while trying to ramp Model 3 production), and it’s a feature they’d need to get 100% right, given the security implications.

It probably is coming eventually(from my understanding, all post-refresh cars use Bluetooth in the keyfob already), but it’ll take time.

Wow I just tried to summon the MX out of the garage like we do every day and the app is down! First time I have seen this since Dec last year when we got the car. Had been summoning it every day thru the app. Today I have to use the keyfob. Good thing I don't have a M3. :p

new message when trying to sign in.

Attachments

• IMG_1018.jpg
    IMG_1018.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 90
Reactions: Johann Koeber
Normally I would agree with you, but now that it's been established that Tesla's servers can go offline and make the app unusable for every owner in the world for 9 6 hours (and counting), it might be worth reevaluating whether adding Bluetooth is really such a waste of time.
Exactly. Just as a note, this is what Remote S does for the trunk/frunk opening. Either already or in the next release, Allen said he was going to make it use BT for local and server when out of BT range (and confirm when using server). Best of both worlds.

Tesla using servers only for some functions is limiting. (And again, no connection to Remote S besides a satisfied user.)

Reactions: cmal
Too bad it took six hours for the maintenance message. That should be a default after about 30 minutes if not less. It at least lets you know it’s not the car or your password. Most of the pissed off people calling wouldn’t have had to and I wouldn’t had rebooted and turned the car off and on. :D

@dankim perhaps this can be a more automatic function in the future? It would definitely reduce all the calls Support is getting. I’d hate to be on the phone waiting for Roadside today. :eek:

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: pilotSteve