Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

App Connection down?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually it's good to see Tesla participation here. But this outage for me could not happen at a worse time for me. Spent an hour on hold with customer support to learn they didn't have a clue. You guys should talk to them. And put a status on your web site too - those are both easy, cheap, and painless. And would go a long way with your very frustrated customers right now.

Sincerely apologize for that. I've connected with our teams.

Reactions: KArnold
Dan Kim here with Tesla. We’re aware the Tesla app is down for some customers and we’re working to restore functionality ASAP!

Thanks, Dan. It's good to know someone from Tesla monitors these forums and that the issue is being worked on.

Is there any particular reason the app has to connect back to Tesla's servers instead of connecting directly to the car with Bluetooth?

Out for me too. I'm away from home and need to tell it to charge to 90% because when we get back we need to take off in the Tesla. This was an unexpected trip so I didn't know until just now that I'd need to charge. Normally I leave the car at 50% stored when I don't think I'm going to be driving it in order to preserve battery life. I guess I just better get in the habit of storing it at 90%.

In addition to the app issue, starting this morning my car will not connect to LTE (although wifi connects). I called support and they said it might be related to the server/mobile app issue. Anyone else unable to get LTE connectivity?

The cars normal
Thanks, Dan. It's good to know someone from Tesla monitors these forums and that the issue is being worked on.

Is there any particular reason the app has to connect back to Tesla's servers instead of connecting directly to the car with Bluetooth?

Security is one. If your phone gets stolen, Tesla can invalidate your API keys and passwords centrally from the server side, disabling any app access.

• Informative
Reactions: jpaz
New M3 owner here in Chicago, app is also not working, I used my Keycard to take it for a drive and now my screen is now fuzzy like there is a loose connection... hoping that they are related and that I don't need to get the screen serviced :/

Any thoughts from the community on if they are related?

I've had one other odd problem all day. I drove the tesla 3 times this morning and every time I got it in, the instrument display was blank and it would take about 30 seconds to power the car up before it would drive. I wonder if the two are related.

Security is one. If your phone gets stolen, Tesla can invalidate your API keys and passwords centrally from the server side, disabling any app access.

I'm pretty sure the Model 3 will unlock when the owner's phone is nearby, and the connection is through Bluetooth. If that's an acceptable level of security, then I don't see the problem with connecting directly from the app with the S and X.

Roght, no change to status as far as I can tell and the local screen issue has nothing to do with this. You can try rebooting to see if that helps your screen. But nothing done on a car will help app issues as they need the Tesla servers.

(Not counting the few functions done with local BT of course!)

I'm pretty sure the Model 3 will unlock when the owner's phone is nearby, and the connection is through Bluetooth. If that's an acceptable level of security, then I don't see the problem with connecting directly from the app with the S and X.

Bluetooth is short range. Unless you're within Bluetooth's range, you need a server side solution anyway. So you have to engineer this twice, implement it twice, add new features on it twice, test it twice for every change, for the low number of times that there's an actual outage. And you have to prioritize that against all of your other important work that needs resources.

Software development involves tradeoffs and you have to make calls about how much you're going to do. Had to make a lot of similar calls doing software engineering over 20 years.

Reactions: MagicMagicD
This would suck...anyone know if app is down model 3 users who relies on it would not get into their car?
Glad it's not just me. I unfortunately tried uninstalling/reinstalling the app on my phone, so now I can't log-in. :)

Good thing the model 3 has a backup keycard.

Model 3 phone key still works as it is just a local Bluetooth connection. Doesn’t need any network connection to work. But preconditioning and remote access won’t work

I went to check the status of my Tesla via the smartphone App. I got a message that says "Check internet connection."

I'm on wi-fi, so that should be good. All other phone apps that access the internet via wi-fi are working fine.

I logged off the app and tried to log back on. Now I get
"Sign-In Failed
Check internet connection" and an OK button, after about 1/2 second. I restarted the phone and still have the problem.

Any ideas as to what's going on? Which internet connection? The phone's (which is fine), the car's, or what?

I went to check the status of my Tesla via the smartphone App. I got a message that says "Check internet connection."

I'm on wi-fi, so that should be good. All other phone apps that access the internet via wi-fi are working fine.

I logged off the app and tried to log back on. Now I get
"Sign-In Failed
Check internet connection" and an OK button, after about 1/2 second. I restarted the phone and still have the problem.

Any ideas as to what's going on? Which internet connection? The phone's (which is fine), the car's, or what?

Same here on IOS.

Bluetooth is short range. Unless you're within Bluetooth's range, you need a server side solution anyway. So you have to engineer this twice, implement it twice, add new features on it twice, test it twice for every change, for the low number of times that there's an actual outage. And you have to prioritize that against all of your other important work that needs resources.

Software development involves tradeoffs and you have to make calls about how much you're going to do. Had to make a lot of similar calls doing software engineering over 20 years.

Normally I would agree with you, but now that it's been established that Tesla's servers can go offline and make the app unusable for every owner in the world for 9 6 hours (and counting), it might be worth reevaluating whether adding Bluetooth is really such a waste of time.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: boaterva