Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

App Connection down?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
App downloads for me still... Feels like Tesla got hacked
App downloads?

It looks like they fixed it somehow overnight as their social media person sent out a tweet that it was fixed. But TeslaFi and other apps have been flaky all along and more this AM and now are worse.

You could surmise that a temporary fix was put into place and a better one was coming but why then remove the ‘temp maintenance’ message in case it fails again?

This whole thing is like some three person company with one PC in a basement somewhere. Crazy. No backup, no redundancy, no alternate datacenter. And the largest population (California) isn’t awake yet. OMG.

Reactions: Pentium2004
I’m getting bad log in message...mine went down Friday afternoon (last time my car synced to app). Tried logging out and back in and stuck in this cycle.
Yep, don’t log out to try and fix it yourself or that will happen and u will have to type you info every time u want to see if it is back up. It is a Tesla problem. Stay logged in and just wait.

4 hours ago Tesla tweeted it was back up and working. :eek:

Noticed my app had logged on to my previous Tesla Friday or thought it did as Friday the iOS widget showed Model S (now have an X) for a brief moment. Then Saturday after 4 am it became impossible to access the car through the app. We’re Sunday morning and no change. All this to say I think the app platform has been experiencing issues for a few days now.

Noticed my app had logged on to my previous Tesla Friday or thought it did as Friday the iOS widget showed Model S (now have an X) for a brief moment. Then Saturday after 4 am it became impossible to access the car through the app. We’re Sunday morning and no change. All this to say I think the app platform has been experiencing issues for a few days now.
It was up normally until 10:30 AM ET (1430 UTC) Saturday. Then it was down, back up about 0300 ET and flaky and now down pretty much (0830 ET).

The old configs sound like they may have been restoring a database, perhaps an old full restore with later incremental restore to get back to Saturday AM. All that is conjecture but makes sense if old data was around for a time.

Very strange for a modern setup that should have multiple locations and multiple backups....

It was up normally until 10:30 AM ET (1430 UTC) Saturday. Then it was down, back up about 0300 ET and flaky and now down pretty much (0830 ET).

Reason I mentioned it was down after 0400 Saturday for me is my phone had the notification of my 0400 am scheduled charging starting. However, it never notified me of the charge having ended, which would have been a couple of hours later at the most. Now, the MCU had crashed when I got to the car for some reason so I suspect that’s why I didn’t receive the notification versus the app being down (given you say it went down at 1030).

Same problem here, app down for several hours yesterday and so far about 3 hours today and still not working, just get 'Unknown error' message. Called support as a bit reluctant to take car anywhere at the moment after getting stranded in town with key fobs not working, app not working, car wouldn't unlock... eventually after increasingly wild clicking of fob got trunk unlocked and posted smallest child in who was able to dive over rear seats/ front console and somehow got the touchscreen to work and open the doors for the rest of the family. Why are computerised things so intuitive to the under 10s? Of course this was done in full view of a street full of people who thought it most amusing! Then of course it wouldn't start, just got a message that the car had to be unlocked before driving. More entertainment for the growing audience! More wild clicking followed and suddenly car burst into life, my kids were mortified, model X's are still quite a rarity in these here parts (north Scotland) so it still attracts attention just for being in town letalone breaking down in town! Anyway, support were really helpful, said this app/fob issue was across the board and laughed in an embarrassed 'yeah you got me' way when I queried whether Tesla had been hacked. Since I downloaded the last update this week my key fob hasn't worked properly though. Apparently there have been security issues across Europe regarding passive entry so that's been disabled, if you want to re-enable it just go through the settings menu on the control panel. I wondered whether it was the battery going, but haven't had any warning message, so tried the spare fob and had the same problem so thought it unlikely a co-incidence both batteries had gone when also the car was only serviced a couple of months ago and I understand they change the battery as a matter of routine anyway... My lesson learned though when I tried a few shops and found CR2354's aren't readily stocked here it would seem, so best to order a couple online to keep as spares. Anyway, support said everything was being done as quickly as they're able to rectify the problem, but meanwhile double clicking the roof of the key fob should at least unlock the car and get the fob recognised so you can drive the car again. Still it's quite a thought isn't it if it's affecting every Tesla across the world?....

The sky isn’t falling. Relax and go out and enjoy some nature or something. The servers aren’t going to be down forever.
No, the sky's not falling. But some of us are travelling today and the app unavailability, plus what seem to be strange ugly side-effects on some MCU functions (my audio just went berzerk, in addition to the earlier nav problems) are a nuisance.

Tesla need to hold themselves to a modern, professional standard in reporting and explaining these problems. I paid $100K for this car, and I would expect to get _at least_ the level and quality of service problem reporting and analysis that I get from AWS or Google Cloud where I spend a couple of hundred bucks a year.

A single Tweet hours after an outage starts, saying "It's fixed!" when it's clearly not doesn't cut the mustard.

No, the sky's not falling. But some of us are travelling today and the app unavailability, plus what seem to be strange ugly side-effects on some MCU functions (my audio just went berzerk, in addition to the earlier nav problems) are a nuisance.

Tesla need to hold themselves to a modern, professional standard in reporting and explaining these problems. I paid $100K for this car, and I would expect to get _at least_ the level and quality of service problem reporting and analysis that I get from AWS or Google Cloud where I spend a couple of hundred bucks a year.

A single Tweet hours after an outage starts, saying "It's fixed!" when it's clearly not doesn't cut the mustard.
Agree 10000%

Reactions: Pentium2004
It was semi-fixed at the time and he even tweeted a screenshot of his car in the app to prove it. :D.

We also had some discussion last night about app notifications which may or may not be someone separate from Tesla’s servers. At least for iOS, they come from Apple, and they could send them when all of the Tesla side wasn’t available. We don’t know enough about how it works and what is up and down to figure it out.

Maybe the sky is falling. Sorry it’s affecting the MCU. That’s a bit disconcerting. Hopefully the car doesn’t become undriveable. Are you able to turn off the cellular connection to the car? That’s what I would do, and then just listen to the radio or stream music from my phone and use phone for nav.

So the app doesn't work and guess what... nothing. It's a car, it just now became a car like every other car out there but way better still. Lacking some convenience features of pre-heating or cooling from your phone isn't the end of the world. However, if you decided that you wanted to go "keyless", well then you'd better have a Model 3 (Model 3 phone unlock does not require anything but bluetooth near field, so no internet needed). Otherwise, treat your Model S/X like every other car out there and carry your keyfob.

Both “S” & “3” back to “unknown error” this morning.
Several attempts.
39DA6618-4B45-4120-9182-DDE2C6D2F4BA.jpeg

I last drove my Model S on Friday evening. Went to drive it last night and the key fob won’t unlock the car. It’s in my garage and plugged in. I’m patiently waiting for the app to come back to see if I can get into the car. I don’t want to assume it is related, but it is strange timing. So at the point, I can’t drive my S.