TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

App connection hit & miss, mostly a miss.

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by dhrivnak, May 27, 2018.

1. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

I have an iPhone and the app frequently can not connect to the car. So if I try to remote precondition the car or check the charging I seem to have a 40% success rate. I can almost always connect within an hour of walking away but it seems like the car goes into a deep sleep and the app does not connect. I have had this issue on at least 3 firmwares, and 5 different states. I can understand a problem in a low coverage area but for me it is happening far more often. Do others have a similar issue? And while it may not connect for several hours then it will work. I was hoping for more of a 90% success rate like I see with my Roadster and Volt.

2. Msjulie

Msjulie Active Member

I think it's actually that the car is asleep - you probably know but the car talks to Tesla servers and so does the iPhone app.. I agree it's annoying, they are trying to balance low energy use in the car I'm supposing... when mine misbehaves like this, opening a door wakes it up pretty quick but I get that's fairly useless to the whole remote-access feature..

I have gotten weary seeing the car 'waking up' message in the app but I try to remember most cars don't even have the feature so...

• Like x 1
  3. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

This may be an MCU2 (or what the 3 has, same thing). I never have this issue on my X with MCU1. It takes a few seconds, saying connecting, and then it does.

We have the energy saving/always connected switches and I believe those are missing from MCU2 and the 3 versions. So, it may be something that is going to be the norm with the ‘automatic’ sleep of this version, unfortunately.

4. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

#4 dhrivnak, May 27, 2018
    Last edited: May 27, 2018
    True It has always worked when I open the door but by that time preconditioning or checking charge level is of little value.

5. Msjulie

Msjulie Active Member

Yep agreed..