Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

app connectivity issue - different flavor

first...i have been reading this forum for over 30 months; picked up may useful bits...appreciate the time/effort of posters. however, so far, i did not post as i did not think i had anything valuable to post and did not have an unsolved issue, now i do...so my first post....(sorry for the length)

ALSO, i searched this as well as the “tesla” forum for answers; i saw a few posts on connectivity....and (as noted below) i have tried all the suggestion....but no resolution

AND, yes- i have been working with local service. they have been helpful and have tried a couple of things. last week they changed the LTE board but that did not resolve the issue

SURE... i have tried rebooting the screens MULTIPLE times and have uninstalled and re-installed the app MULTIPLE times

THE ISSUE – (see full field report at the end) ...NOT able to connect with car using tesla app while parked at new locations (like mall parking lot). however, it always works when the car is parked on my driveway (or in garage) and couple other place i visit often. i have tried both ANDROID and APPLE phones. don't recall having this problem till mid 2018 (may be it was there and i did not notice).

NOTES-

THE CAR – 2017 mx 90d (as of yesterday on 2018.48.12.1)

CAR SETTINGS: "ALWAYS CONNECTED" is checked, "ENERGY SAVING" IS OFF, "RANGE MODE" IS OFF.

PHONES TRIED: ANDROID AND APPLE

THE ISSUE...app connectivity...

RARELY WORKS--
WHEN PARKED: random location like mall parking or restaurant parking
LTE SIGNAL bars:
1, 2, 3, or even 4
CAR CONNECTION TYPE: LTE (i turn WiFi off to avoid car searching for WiFi)
PHONE CONNECTION-- LTE (good signal confirmed)
DEVICE: both ANDROID and APPLE work rarely
MY LOCATION : does not matter, close or far
NOTE(a) – NO problem streaming music or getting maps, gps etc at these locations.
NOTE(b)- occasionally, it works after i open the door or start the car

ALWAYS CONNECTS--
WHEN PARKED: my garage or driveway
LTE SIGNAL bars: 1 (only 1)
CONNECTION TYPE: LTE or WiFi (both work)
DEVICE: both ANDROID and APPLE work
MY LOCATION: works fine even when i am miles away

ALWAYS CONNECTS--
WHEN PARKED: my friend’s driveway (i visit them often)
LTE SIGNAL bars:
CAR CONNECTION TYPE: LTE
DEVICE: both ANDROID and APPLE work
MY LOCATION: works fine even when when i am miles away

any help or clues will be much appreciated

You're certainly not alone! My App has a roughly 75% chance of connecting whether at home or anywhere else. Sometimes it simply refuses to connect for no apparent reason, even though I know there is a good signal on phone and car. There are obviously some issues with App connectivity and they seem to randomly get better or worse with the various software updates. Right now it's working most of the time for me, but sometimes takes several attempts to connect. I don't think it's a hardware fault personally, but I will report it to the SC on my next visit.

BTW, this has nothing to do with "Driving Dynamics" so you might want to get your thread moved somewhere more appropriate to get a better response.

You're certainly not alone! My App has a roughly 75% chance of connecting whether at home or anywhere else. Sometimes it simply refuses to connect for no apparent reason, even though I know there is a good signal on phone and car. There are obviously some issues with App connectivity and they seem to randomly get better or worse with the various software updates. Right now it's working most of the time for me, but sometimes takes several attempts to connect. I don't think it's a hardware fault personally, but I will report it to the SC on my next visit.

peteski.....thanks for the quantum of solace. so if this is a quirky bug or issue, perhaps something for tesla central to resolve...not the local service. then the question is...is tesla aware of this and any solutions in works?

BTW, this has nothing to do with "Driving Dynamics" so you might want to get your thread moved somewhere more appropriate to get a better response.

ok...sure...what do you suggest?

ok...sure...what do you suggest?

If you're asking me where this thread should go then either in the UI section or the main forum. Not many people will see it here as it's not in any way related to "Driving Dynamics".

If you're asking what you should do about the App connectivity issue, then I suspect it's something we all have to live with until someone at Tesla gets around to solving the problems instead of making fart Apps! In other words I don't think it's a specific fault with your car.

MorrisonHiker

Mar 8, 2015
Colorado
OP: Have you tried not turning off wifi? It shouldn't make any difference but I haven't turned off wifi in the two years I've had my car. I can't imagine doing it whenever I change locations.

If you continue to have issues when it is only on LTE, you might have the Service Center take a look at it. Perhaps there's an issue with your LTE antenna or card.

If you're asking me where this thread should go then either in the UI section or the main forum. Not many people will see it here as it's not in any way related to "Driving Dynamics".

If you're asking what you should do about the App connectivity issue, then I suspect it's something we all have to live with until someone at Tesla gets around to solving the problems instead of making fart Apps! In other words I don't think it's a specific fault with your car.

i goofed in formatting (inserting quote). though my question was on the move , but your both points are helpful......and as i see the thread has been moved..

OP: Have you tried not turning off wifi? It shouldn't make any difference but I haven't turned off wifi in the two years I've had my car. I can't imagine doing it whenever I change locations.

If you continue to have issues when it is only on LTE, you might have the Service Center take a look at it. Perhaps there's an issue with your LTE antenna or card.

yes....this problem is going on for over 3 months and i have tried every combo i can imagine...specifically to your point-- yes, i have tried with WiFi on. BTW, in my car, the Wifi automatically turns on when i restart the car, there is NO "permanent off." and the curious thing is when it works, it works regardless of WiFi setting.

to the second point, as posted originally, the SC changed the LTE board last week. and i have also tested in areas with 4 LTE-SIGNAL bars but that did not make a difference.

the Wifi automatically turns on when i restart the car, there is NO "permanent off."

I've noticed that behaviour too. I wanted to switch off Wifi permanently to see if it had any effect on Spotify freeze ups after the car was sat at home, but you basically can't do it. I can switch it off before getting out of the car, but it always resets to on when I return (which is not a bug because it actually displays a message to say it will switch Wifi back on at the next re-start). It's a bit odd that you can't toggle it off permanently like you can with every other Wifi enabled device in the world!

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC