Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

App connectivity issues (again)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the past 24H I've been unable to interactively connect to my Model X from the iOS application. It seems to periodically connect long enough to update state (SOC, location, etc.), but I never seem to be able to get it to connect at will. Most of the time it errors out with "Network Timeout" (currently car and phone on LTE, Model X hasn't had any problem here usually with cell service). I didn't think this was tied to 2018.20, but could be wrong (it seems like the issue is between app and Tesla rather than Tesla and car, but I don't have enough experience to know how the system behaves when it's just the car that can't be reached).

For more concrete information:
Parked in my garage. App last updated about 4.5h ago, and thinks the car is driving.
App can't connect, "Network Timeout".
Open the car with the fob, get in. LTE has one bar, but is working.
Almost immediately my app updates: Parked, Location (Home). A split second later, "Network Timeout".
Again, I can't connect.

This is an MCU2 delivered in March, and does not have any options for configuring how often it wakes-up in the settings dialog. I'm curious if anyone else has been seeing this lately (or if my car picked-up new symptoms with the latest update). Previously, the only issue I had with the App was that Summon didn't work until I think 2018.18; and of course the global Tesla outage weekend of April 20th.

Been running 2018.20 since, well, Thursday AM, of course. No issues with either app (native or Remote S). But, MCU1. I’ve never had any connectivity issues except the several times the mothership was down.

I’ve heard of issues with MCU2 (the lack of the energy saving settings and ‘self sleep’), but I’m not aware of any solutions, sorry!

If you have the option to reboot the MCU, I’d do that. I’ve lost track of if MCU2’s can be rebooted via the scroll buttons now or not! I always reboot after a firmware install, just so it has a clean base, and I have had several issues (back a few revs) that it did help with.

Finally got around to rebooting and testing (rebooting got fixed some time in April; before that you could still use the menu-based shutdown). Initially got an "Unknown Error" on the first attempt to connect, but then it seemed fine. My question for the future now is simply whether this was another one-off issue that rebooting straightened out, or if I should expect this to reoccur on this version software.

I should have tried rebooting earlier. Thanks.

Finally got around to rebooting and testing (rebooting got fixed some time in April; before that you could still use the menu-based shutdown). Initially got an "Unknown Error" on the first attempt to connect, but then it seemed fine. My question for the future now is simply whether this was another one-off issue that rebooting straightened out, or if I should expect this to reoccur on this version software.

I should have tried rebooting earlier. Thanks.
Excellent, and, yeah, have to get some history to see if it sticks.

As with everything IT, with Teslas, it’s the same. Did you turn it off and on? :D. Glad it helped!

*sigh*. Tuesday Wednesday were fine. Then this repeated itself on Thursday. Tried rebooting on the way in to work today; no luck. Ok, tried rebooting while running an errand at lunch; no luck. Tried before heading home, and right after reboot and 15 min after reboot, no luck. LTE shows several bars and can stream music and the phone is doing networking things over its signal fine.

Again, it is sporadically but not consistently getting updates on state, but the App isn't letting me do anything interactive. The last two times, it seemed to only update within about a minute of getting in and starting the car (it still shows me as in "reverse", which had to have been reversing out of a parking spot where I stopped on the way home).

Do you have another device to rule out the phone’s side? Another phone/iPad etc? Then you can concentrate on the car. Because if you call Tesla they will do the same thing.

The next thing is to call national Support and have them access the car remotely. I don’t see that you’ve tried that and they can see if there are connectivity problems getting to the car. You’d think physical issues (bad radio/antenna) wouldn’t just crop up but anything is possible.

I hadn't gotten around to testing on another device or otherwise, nor calling national Support, although this was in a laundry list in an eMail on Friday I sent to the local service center (who had reached out about the stuck location issue issue I'd reported through the Web site a couple weeks ago). It's possible someone at the SC did something, but I find it unlikely since the issue persisted until about 10 or 11pm EDT Sunday and started working after that. I didn't drive the car at all on Sunday, so who knows what magic corrected the issue this time.