Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

app connectivity with the car WIFI/CELL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All , and happy new year
picked my model S a week ago.
trying to clarify this issue with car connectivity via app.
in my parking place there is a weak Wi-Fi but no cellular reception.
I can upgrade the Wi-Fi signal but cannot do it with cellular.
i cannot connect the car from my flat which is 18 flours above via app.
strengthening the Wi-Fi signal will solve the connectivity issue with app?
tnx , jackob

Hi All , and happy new year
picked my model S a week ago.
trying to clarify this issue with car connectivity via app.
in my parking place there is a weak Wi-Fi but no cellular reception.
I can upgrade the Wi-Fi signal but cannot do it with cellular.
i cannot connect the car from my flat which is 18 flours above via app.
strengthening the Wi-Fi signal will solve the connectivity issue with app?
tnx , jackob
Definitely. You don't need cell signals. Wifi is preferable.

Upvote 0
Without cell service, the car will not wake up. On my 2020 model the car must have cell service.
The car will not wake up remotely from the app without cell service. I was surprised to learn this but here is a thread about it:

WiFi shuts off when the car sleeps. It needs a cell ping to wake up. So, yes, you're out of luck without a cell signal. I'm not sure if WiFi stays on when the car is awake for sentry, cabin overheat protection, etc., but maybe worth a shot if you don't mind burning the power.

Upvote 0
The car works even with the cell signal alone.

Same with exclusive wifi alone.

If the car is asleep in cell or wifi, you can wake it up. It does not need to be awake unless you want it to, not because of wifi.
The thread I linked to above contradicts this. They say that when the car is asleep then you need a cell connection or a Bluetooth connection (or a key card I presume) to wake it up in order to enable wifi. The issue/problem seems to be that wifi is disabled when the car is asleep so wifi can't be used to wake it up.

I wonder if scheduled departure would help. Does scheduled departure even work if the car is asleep and there is no cell signal to wake it up?

Upvote 0