Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

App disabled on V8 fw?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've repaired a Model S that has 2018 firmware V8.0. The car works fine but I can't get a connection with the app, always gives me the 'connection error' message.

I've seen rumours, but can anyone confirm that Tesla have definitely now disabled app access on pre-2019 firmware vehicles?

If so, can I perform a manual firmware update if OTA is no longer available?

My understanding is that they have indeed cut-off the Tesla services for the old firmware.

You might be able to find a hacker that can update your car, but people have reported that even Tesla has had problems updating them when people finally decide that they want to update and take them in.

Is the car's login email and password still correct, and a valid email, and agree with the Tesla online account for the vehicle? Check under Controls, Safety and Security on the car's screen? It may be too old a version, but you can at least check these things to make sure you are logging the car in to Tesla correctly, and that of course should agree with the phone app authentication information.

Tesla changed their server communication protocol early this year, the older FW does not support it.
So no app connection for you!

However Tesla also changed a lot of other things in that time, particularly taking away battery capacity and reducing supercharging speed for 85kwh batteries. So please read up on the threads concerned before deciding to pursue an upgrade.

There are still a few of us refusing to upgrade and living happily with the range and charge speed we originally purchased.

Reactions: DerbyDave
Yes I think I'd be OK with that, however I have a problem now - it's locked in Valet mode and I don't know the PIN. The only way out of this is to use the app - which doesn't work. Tesla can't access the vehicle to unlock it either.

I am taking a wild guess on the older systems, but when you plug in the Supercharger, Tesla can communicate with the car through the Supercharger, and appropriately bill you, etc. I assume they can also do other things with this connection. You just have a wired connection to Tesla thru the Supercharger. You still don't have app capability.