Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

App draining iPhone battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You may want to check your settings to see if you allow the app to have "Background App Refresh" and for location services to allow access to "Always"

For Background App Refresh - I would recommend having that turn off for the Tesla App
You can find the settings under Settings > General > Background App Refresh

For Location Services - I would recommend having it set to "While Using"
You can find the settings under Settings > Privacy > Location Services

Hope this helps with your battery drain issue on your iPhone. I don't have any battery drain on my iPhone X and no issues with phantom drain on my Tesla while it's park. I usually force close the app after I lock the car and only open it to turn on AC while I walk to my car.

The more often you check the app, the more times your car has to wake up from sleep thus using more energy.

... The more often you check the app, the more times your car has to wake up from sleep thus using more energy.

You can wake up the car from the app??? I've almost never been able to do that. It just spins that little wheel for a while, then reports "Connection error." It did this before they enabled wi-fi and it only had the crappy AT&T cell connection. And it still does it now that I have it set to connect to my home wi-fi, which gets a strong signal in my garage. The car goes to sleep and doesn't wake up until I unlock it by opening the door.

You can wake up the car from the app??? I've almost never been able to do that. It just spins that little wheel for a while, then reports "Connection error." It did this before they enabled wi-fi and it only had the crappy AT&T cell connection. And it still does it now that I have it set to connect to my home wi-fi, which gets a strong signal in my garage. The car goes to sleep and doesn't wake up until I unlock it by opening the door.

Yeah, whenever you "open/launch the app" it will send a signal to wake up the car and send a ping to get the status.

If you're having trouble with the app connecting to the car I would suggest the following:

• Unlock/Lock car
• Toggle On/Off Bluetooth
• Force Close App and reopen
• Put phone in airplane more and repeat any of the steps above

Also depends on long the car has been sleeping for and if it is in a "deep sleep" rather than a shorter sleep period and the internet connection of the car to be able to connect to the phone.

Yeah, whenever you "open/launch the app" it will send a signal to wake up the car and send a ping to get the status.

If you're having trouble with the app connecting to the car I would suggest the following:

• Unlock/Lock car
• Toggle On/Off Bluetooth
• Force Close App and reopen
• Put phone in airplane more and repeat any of the steps above

Also depends on long the car has been sleeping for and if it is in a "deep sleep" rather than a shorter sleep period and the internet connection of the car to be able to connect to the phone.

The whole point of the remove services on the app should be to be able to access the features without having to walk out to the car and unlock it. Once I've done that, I don't need the app. So "Unlock/Lock car" is not a solution to this problem.

Bluetooth has nothing to do with it because the phone is not using Bluetooth to connect to the car when I try to wake it up remotely.

The app has been closed and launched, and even updated. This makes no difference. Probably because the issue is with the car, not the phone app.

Putting the phone in airplane mode: Same objection as above.

Yes, obviously the car is in deep sleep mode. How much power could it use to keep the cell or wi-fi connection active? My phone with a tiny battery rated in mWh lasts all day on a charge. The car with 75 kWh can afford to keep the connection active! (And there's a choice to disallow mobile access if you don't want it active.) It's already losing about 1 kWh per day in passive drain. A few more milliwatt-hours to keep the connective active would be unmeasurable.

Note: The wi-fi signal to the car is strong, as indicated by the fact that it immediately has full signal strength as soon as I unlock the car.

The whole point of the remove services on the app should be to be able to access the features without having to walk out to the car and unlock it. Once I've done that, I don't need the app. So "Unlock/Lock car" is not a solution to this problem.

Bluetooth has nothing to do with it because the phone is not using Bluetooth to connect to the car when I try to wake it up remotely.

The app has been closed and launched, and even updated. This makes no difference. Probably because the issue is with the car, not the phone app.

Putting the phone in airplane mode: Same objection as above.

Yes, obviously the car is in deep sleep mode. How much power could it use to keep the cell or wi-fi connection active? My phone with a tiny battery rated in mWh lasts all day on a charge. The car with 75 kWh can afford to keep the connection active! (And there's a choice to disallow mobile access if you don't want it active.) It's already losing about 1 kWh per day in passive drain. A few more milliwatt-hours to keep the connective active would be unmeasurable.

Note: The wi-fi signal to the car is strong, as indicated by the fact that it immediately has full signal strength as soon as I unlock the car.

What I meant about Unlock/Lock was from the app and not physically from the car.

Are you constantly within BT range of the vehicle? A few days when I've been in the upstairs over the garage (but not always) the car wakes up, the phone connects for audio (even though it's not playing any) and then the phone stays constantly connected and the car stays awake... until my phone dies. Normally at the end of the day when I plug in I'm around 70%, but when this happens the phone dies in 3 hours.

This is Android not iPhone but the same could happen I assume.

After picking up my Model 3 last week and taking advantage of the "phone as key" feature, I noticed that my iPhone 7 battery drains a lot faster than before. Does anybody have the same issues? What have you done to alleviate this?
What does your battery usage screen say? 7E879020-A701-453B-8937-D932CE48A291.png

• Informative
Reactions: daniel
What does your battery usage screen say?View attachment 328373

Hey!!! I had completely forgotten about this screen. Thanks for reminding me! In the last 24 hours the phone used 83%, the Tesla app used 16% in background activity, and the Home & Lock Screen used 1%. In the last 5 days, the phone used 41%, the Home & Lock Screen used 22% (???), the Tesla app used 18%in background activity, and Messages used 13%.

So the Tesla app is using a significant portion of my phone's battery. Not as much as some are saying (dead in 3 hours!) but still enough that I was wondering if it was running down faster. One more reason for a fob.

IPhone 5s. I turned location services off and it seems to connect even faster. Drove my other car about 3 miles away and tried again. Same thing. Less phone drain, too. From a overnight sleep with both BT and the app forced closed, when I hit the Tesla icon, the car wakes up and connects. Takes about 8 seconds. If the app is already up in the background and the car is mostly awake, it takes about 2 seconds. Software 32.2
If you are having trouble with the app connecting today, sign out and trash it. Download a fresh one and take your phone and keycard into the car and pair it up again. Good luck.

I turn off Bluetooth in the evenings. Phone doesn't drain overnight. If I forget, phone drains 30-40%. Only started when I got the Model 3. My garage is on the opposite side of the bedroom ~ 50' away. Older iPhone 6 with the original battery...gonna upgrade this fall.

Fixed! Service advised changing my iphone setting for the Tesla App and turning the "Background App Refresh" switch off.
BROKEN AGAIN, even with Background App Refresh off. This worked for awhile.

Yesterday I turned off some location services for a number of apps to help improve my overall security after reading this Wired Magazine article - How the Pentagon Learned to Use Targeted Ads to Find Its Targets—and Vladimir Putin, and the problem of the Tesla app draining my battery came back!

So what gives. This morning I removed and re-installed the app. If that doesn't fix it I'm going to abandon the app and use only my keyfob instead, or only start the app when I need it and then close it when I'm done using it.

IF ANYONE AT TESLA IS LISTENING THIS IS A REAL PAIN IN THE ASS. PLEASE FIX IT.