Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

App feature request - Tire pressure monitor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe this is already in the queue, but I thought it would be a good idea to show the tire pressure in the phone app so you can monitor what the car is seeing as you fill the tires. The gauges on the pumps are never accurate, and even the hand gauges aren't particularly so. It is what the car sees that matters anyway. I'm pretty sure anything that is displayed on the console can be fed to the app on your phone.

My tires were getting low and was just thinking about this. How does one make an official request with Tesla? We can talk all we want here and it won't happen.

How does one make an official request with Tesla? We can talk all we want here and it won't happen.

You pretty much dont (make an official request to tesla), and the second part of your statement also isnt necessarily accurate. Tesla employees absolutely do read TMC sometimes, even if they dont post much. Someone from Tesla will eventually see something like this if there is enough traction on a thread (but that doesnt mean they will do anything about it, either).

The above statement isnt a guess, either.. but as I said, just because someone eventually sees it, that doesnt mean there will be any action taken or not taken.

Cool idea but it does not appear that the TPMS is active when the vehicle is not moving. :(

This is the main reason it wouldn't work. Also, let's assume for a second TPMS did work when the wheels where static:

What the OP is asking for would have too much of a delay to be useful. The TPMS data would have to be included in the streaming API data up to the Tesla mothership, then the app would have to request that data in real time (or as close as possible) and then display the tire pressures. And this assumes a solid cellular or wifi connection. Even if the delay is short, you could risk overfilling your tires if you don't get the current tire pressure readings fast enough. And there could be brief data dropouts or interference. but sure, you can easily deflate the tires if overfilled -- if you wait a few seconds for the streaming data to stabilize.

But also, just using a high quality tire pressure gauge to me is a lot easier than trying to juggle the air hose and my phone at the same time to get 'real-time' readings.

even the hand gauges aren't particularly so.

They are if you buy a good one. They're not expensive.

Reactions: mrwug
What I would like is just some tire pressure historical data in the app. While it wouldn't work while the car was asleep, just having a last value recorded while operating it would be nice to a do a quick remote "status check", or see if there's like a slight leak over time, determine if you need to plan a little for some tire pressure maintenance, etc.

Heck, just about every other car we've owned, that has some kind of remote info/control, shows the tire pressure, including our current, other ride, the Wrangler 4xe (via uConnect).

Speaking of ...

The newer Dodge Ram trucks will honk at you when you reached the recommended tire pressure.

Our Jeep does this too, since it's pretty common to raise/lower pressure for on/off road use, it's pretty handy.

What I would like is just some tire pressure historical data in the app. While it wouldn't work while the car was asleep, just having a last value recorded while operating it would be nice to a do a quick remote "status check", or see if there's like a slight leak over time, determine if you need to plan a little for some tire pressure maintenance, etc.

Heck, just about every other car we've owned, that has some kind of remote info/control, shows the tire pressure, including our current, other ride, the Wrangler 4xe (via uConnect).

Speaking of ...

Our Jeep does this too, since it's pretty common to raise/lower pressure for on/off road use, it's pretty handy.

That's an excellent idea -- hopefully Tesla takes note of it.

Tire pressure history could be really useful, especially if combined with an analysis that corrects for the current temperature, estimates leakage, and alerts when the leakage changes.

Most people would appreciate information such as "tire pressure is low, but only because it's -10F outside", "you should inflate your tires in the next two week to avoid dropping below 2.9 bar", and "your right front tire seems to have a slow leak that started three weeks ago".