Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

App for tracking stats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i use Stats for Tesla:

a bit pricey, but it is a one-time cost and the (very responsive) developer adds new features often (such as the recent Safety Score features). It includes a great Apple watch app as well. highly recommend! 👍👍

Last edited:

Unless you are a "data hound / nerd" by nature, all most of those apps will do is give you a bunch of data you wont be able to really conceptualize , and lead you to a bunch of conclusions that will give you anxiety. You will be back here, posting:

"I got my car 3 weeks ago, I drove (insert some distance) and <insert app> says <insert range / degradation claim>. Is there something wrong with my car? I should contact tesla, right?"

If you wait a few weeks, you will at least have an idea of your car, your normal commutes etc. You also dont have to worry about whether you set it up properly so that your car will sleep, so you dont end up coming here and posting about your car having an issue because it "uses 15-20 miles a day range".

Note that those apps all can be setup so they dont do that (for the most part), but its my opinion that no NEW tesla owner should "start off" with them, unless they are already data hounds and can easily decide what that data is saying, and even more importantly what it isnt.

Personal opinion only, though it comes from almost 3 years of seeing the exact same thing I just talked about above happen over and over and over and over and over (and over and over and over and over and over.... to the tune of a 167 page thread in the model 3 section) in the model 3 subforum.

If you do get them like Stats, Tezlab and Teslafi make sure that they are not continually polling your car as this will also eat up battery. I no longer use Teslafi but do use ABRP and Tezlabs for my trips.

Fred

Unless you are a "data hound / nerd" by nature, all most of those apps will do is give you a bunch of data you wont be able to really conceptualize , and lead you to a bunch of conclusions that will give you anxiety. You will be back here, posting:

"I got my car 3 weeks ago, I drove (insert some distance) and <insert app> says <insert range / degradation claim>. Is there something wrong with my car? I should contact tesla, right?"

If you wait a few weeks, you will at least have an idea of your car, your normal commutes etc. You also dont have to worry about whether you set it up properly so that your car will sleep, so you dont end up coming here and posting about your car having an issue because it "uses 15-20 miles a day range".

Note that those apps all can be setup so they dont do that (for the most part), but its my opinion that no NEW tesla owner should "start off" with them, unless they are already data hounds and can easily decide what that data is saying, and even more importantly what it isnt.

Personal opinion only, though it comes from almost 3 years of seeing the exact same thing I just talked about above happen over and over and over and over and over (and over and over and over and over and over.... to the tune of a 167 page thread in the model 3 section) in the model 3 subforum.
Agreeing with what you said for the most part. However, if one already decides that he wants to keep track of all those data, then not doing so from the beginning will give you a "gap" because Tesla doesn't keep your driving data so you pretty much lose it after the next drive (or however long the car keeps the record) so something to keep in mind.

And out of all the options, I believe TeslaMate is the only self-host option for those who know what they are doing. It's a bit more work to setup but you own all the data and not having to share data with 3rd party or give them access to your car (with Tesla API), and not to mention it's free (minus any hardware you may want to purchase for the setup, but is optional).

Otherwise the other services should all provide you with more or less the same thing so it's more a personal preference.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Check out Tessie (tessie.com). I just switched to Tessie and won’t look back. I tried TeslaFi, Stats and others but this one is very simple to use with a clean interface. They also have a native iPhone app which is way better than using a web browser which many require. Anyway, just another suggestion to check out.

i use Stats for Tesla:

a bit pricey, but it is a one-time cost and the (very responsive) developer adds new features often (such as the recent Safety Score features). It includes a great Apple watch app as well. highly recommend! 👍👍
Can you export all your data (drive and charging) to csv? Does it have moment-by-moment tracking and raw data like, say, TeslaMate does?

Can you export all your data (drive and charging) to csv? Does it have moment-by-moment tracking and raw data like, say, TeslaMate does?
Yes, you can export your data to CSV - see this review/"deep dive" with the developer:

It refreshes your data when the app is opened, or by pulling down on a screen to refresh when already open.