Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

App functionality during power outage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If my house loses grid power, apparently so does my cable Internet, and I lose Tesla app access. I would think, once the PW kicks on, I could still access the Tesla app while in the house on the network. But, I can't. The whole house is backed up.

How should this work? I also paired to Bluetooth, but that mentions disconnecting from grid as the only Bluetooth feature. Will I have full app functionality on Bluetooth? Thanks.

If your home loses grid power, you should only lose cable internet if the depot where your internet comes in also loses power.

In that situation, you log into the gateway directly to monitor usage, if you dont have app access to the equipment because the internet at your home is down.

Reactions: bmah
If my house loses grid power, apparently so does my cable Internet, and I lose Tesla app access. I would think, once the PW kicks on, I could still access the Tesla app while in the house on the network. But, I can't. The whole house is backed up.

How should this work? I also paired to Bluetooth, but that mentions disconnecting from grid as the only Bluetooth feature. Will I have full app functionality on Bluetooth? Thanks.

No, you can't control or monitor your Powerwalls through the app over Bluetooth.

Note that the Powerwalls / gateway will function normally in this scenario (power goes down, no Internet). Also, if your Powerwalls have cellular backup, you might have app access that way (it'd be more or less transparent to you, but note that cell towers and repeaters need power also). Worst case, you'd have to connect manually to the gateway as @jjrandorin described above if you want to check the charge level, etc. I recommend practicing this before you need it.

If you're anticipating a lot of long-term power disruptions (like we have had here in Northern California the past couple years) maybe you need a different Internet provider. But that's a topic for another thread.

Bruce.

BTW in early 2022, most cell carriers are turning off 3G connectivity. AFAIK all Powerwalls (?? up to recent units) are 3G, and thus will lose connectivity. Tesla just pushed out an e-mail reminding PW customers to be sure to connect their units to WiFi (...or you can hard wire to an Ethernet drop if you have one).

Worst case, you'd have to connect manually to the gateway . . . maybe you need a different Internet provider. But that's a topic for another thread.
If your home loses grid power, you should only lose cable internet if the depot where your internet comes in also loses power.

In that situation, you log into the gateway directly to monitor usage, if you dont have app access to the equipment because the internet at your home is down.

In the past, I have logged onto my two-year old gateway from my desktop browser. I don't remember how, but now, I typed 192.168.91.1, https://teg and teg-xxx. None of those worked. From my Android phone, I located the strong SSID for teg-xxx and put my Gateway SN in for password--no go. Then I tried PW SN for password, still no luck. Think I followed the linked instructions. Am I doing something wrong?

Not to change topics too much. I have Spectrum Gigabit Internet available (I use half that). Not sure if it's fiber, not advertised as such. Earlier this year, AT&T ran fiber by my house. Both Spectrum & AT&T have nodes in front, each serving two houses. Do those nodes need electricity? What other devices along the Internet route from ISP need or don't need electricity? Thanks.

In the past, I have logged onto my two-year old gateway from my desktop browser. I don't remember how, but now, I typed 192.168.91.1, https://teg and teg-xxx. None of those worked. From my Android phone, I located the strong SSID for teg-xxx and put my Gateway SN in for password--no go. Then I tried PW SN for password, still no luck. Think I followed the linked instructions. Am I doing something wrong?

There are two different ways to do this. One is to figure out the IP address or hostname of the TEG on your local network (assuming it's joined on WiFi or you have a hard-wired connection). It's probably not going to be 192.168.91.1. The way for determining this is very specific to your route, so you're kinda on your own for this one.

The other is to have your phone or laptop join the gateway's WiFi network. This looks like what you tried to do from your Android phone. The network name is "teg-xxx" where "xxx" is the last 3 characters of your serial number. Then the password is your complete serial number, which you can get from the bottom of the Settings screen in the mobile app.

Not to change topics too much. I have Spectrum Gigabit Internet available (I use half that). Not sure if it's fiber, not advertised as such. Earlier this year, AT&T ran fiber by my house. Both Spectrum & AT&T have nodes in front, each serving two houses. Do those nodes need electricity? What other devices along the Internet route from ISP need or don't need electricity? Thanks.

Off-topic networking stuff: What we learned during the NorCal PSPS events is that cable Internet systems (like your Spectrum) need power for repeaters, and cellphone providers need power for cell towers. These systems generally have back-up batteries but they only last a few hours at best. Some service providers have since put gas/diesel generators in for backups. Residential fiber Internet connections, where the fiber comes all the way into your house, are often passive all the way back to the provider's central office, which generally has good backup power...because there are no amplifiers or repeaters involved, as long as your house and the CO have electricity, you're good. Longest outage we've had here was in 2019 for 2.5 days, but between Powerwalls, solar, and fiber Internet (AT&T resold by sonic.net) it was almost business as usual.

How much thought, effort, and money you want to put into these problems (app control/monitoring of Powerwalls, Internet access) probably depends on how long and how frequent your outages are. It's a slightly complicated situation and as with many things related to electricity usage, almost everybody's situation is different.

Bruce.

Our rural cable provider appears to have no electrical backup whatsoever. Power down = internet down. That’s the primary reason we’re on the interminable waitlist for Starlink.
If I could get Starlink for my in-laws in Wisconsin I would pay for it. Every time we visit and have to deal with the 500kbps speed and spotty service from their rural cable service I want to scream. It is faster on my phone than their cable.

Unfortunately, Starlink's app said no-go due to trees. :(

Wait...doesn't the "pair this device with your Powerwall" make it so your phone can get status directly from the Powerwall without internet? (seriously asking - I haven't set it up yet).

Wait...doesn't the "pair this device with your Powerwall" make it so your phone can get status directly from the Powerwall without internet? (seriously asking - I haven't set it up yet).

I dont think so.. that is for being able to take yourself off grid using the app (which is actually seriously cool, if you have any desire to be off grid without going and throwing your physical main breaker). Now that you mention it, though, I forget if it lets you still access the app after you set it up....

Im in stormwatch mode right now, so PWs not feeding the house like normal at this time, otherwise I would test it. I will do so after stormwatch is over, whenever that is.

No, it just authenticates your phone with your powerwall so you can use the Go Off Grid feature.

Sorta related question, does anyone know how to get the phone pairing and/or “go off grid” option to show up in the app? My PWs have been installed for about 10 days now and I have no such option.

Im not sure when it appears, but it likely requires both a specific or later app version, as well as powerwall version.

Yeah, it’s weird. On the latest iOS app and 21.39.1 PW firmware.

Took a few days for many settings to show up so I’ve just been waiting, but anyway…
I have had my system installed and running for a couple of months now and it hasn't shown up yet. I'm waiting for PTO. If it still doesn't show up after PTO, then I'll call Tesla. Like you it took a few days for some of the other setting to show up.

• Helpful
Reactions: ucmndd
I have had my system installed and running for a couple of months now and it hasn't shown up yet. I'm waiting for PTO. If it still doesn't show up after PTO, then I'll call Tesla. Like you it took a few days for some of the other setting to show up.
Just noticed the go off grid option showed up tonight so it took just about two months since install, a week after passing inspection and in the process of getting PTO.