Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

App functions not setting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I noticed several app settings failing yesterday - sentry wouldn't set, charge level similar. The app advised "check internet connection" but all good on the home network and also 4G. I tried knocking wifi off but still the same issues on 4G alone.

At this point I tried a car reboot - no joy. Next I cleared the app cache and finally deleted and re-installed the app but still no joy. I also tried the app on a different 'phone, re-pairing etc but no luck unfortunately. A full home network reboot also yielded nothing but then if it's failing on 4G, no surprise. I'm about out of ideas as all the "switch it off/on" and "delete/reload" options have been tried.

Anyone had anything like this please and if so, what did you do to sort it? I've scheduled a service for next Friday (earliest) and need the car for holiday on Sunday. Eeek!

Cheers

I had the same, something is broken or set to read-only for version 3 app. I tried the new version 4 via APKMirror and functionality was restored, so no need to further investigate car/app/phone. Likely they'll correct the version 3 app/servers/network shortly.
I'm on Android - is there a version 4 app for that available please? The latest on the ap store is 3. Cheers

Possibly a transient issue with Tesla servers? As I understand it, in one of the bug fix/cold weather improvement releases, settings are now saved online to allow them to roam between different vehicles.
OK thanks for that but I figured there'd be a few folk posting on here about an issue like that? I've had it since around noon yesterday. Still the same as I type. I've scheduled a service so hopefully Tesla will be back soon and maybe diagnose something remotely if it isn't actually at their side.

Anyone else seeing this please? Missus is in panic mode due to holidays approaching although we could muddle through without the app.

Cheers folks. Certainly seems like an issue at Tesla's end. Fingers crossed it gets resolved soon. Where are you getting the Android V4 version please?
Pink Duck posted the file link above but I also wrote up some brief instructions here:

Pink Duck posted the file link above but I also wrote up some brief instructions here:

Thanks for that. Yes, just saw the post from the poor chap stuck up t'north. Looks similar. Nice one, thanks

Suspect what's happened is that Tesla submitted the app to the Play Store and simultaneously turned off whatever server was routing the internet based commands from version 3 of the app to the car. Google then rejected the application submission for whatever reason so now Android users don't have a working app or an approved way to access the update until Tesla resubmit.

Bluetooth functions will still work in the meantime, e.g. open trunk, frunk, lock, unlock when in range of the car.

I wonder if the same API is being used for version 4 of the application as version 3 and if not, what the future impact is on 3rd party services that use the unofficial API.

I've experienced this issue also over the past day or so and assumed it was app update related, just wish they'd hurry up and release v4 officially to all Android users.

The rollout systems for Android on Google play are very different to Apple. There's a vastly bigger variance in handsets running Android so I suspect they're taking it slow to make sure it's working right every time. Side loading v4 until it's official on GPlay might be the only way for now!

Quick update on this. Tesla came back to me after my service request and despite me referencing this thread and others, requested that I unlink all of my devices and then re-pair them etc. Also a bunch of default questions about whether I'd got bluetooth on and was my 'phone charged. Sigh.

Having jumped through all the hoops and, as expected got exactly the same problems, Tesla acknowledged that there are some issues with the current app versions. However they weren't specific about exactly what or when they expect them to be resolved. It really is a black box sometimes.

With that uncertainty, is it safe enough to side-load the V4 app noted above please? Who is the developer on the mirror site and is there any guarantee that the app is safe please? I also read in another thread about this that Google Play Store apps are released differently for different 'phone types i.e. in batches. Is that correct? Just wondering if I should wait for the official version or just get on with the mirror version.

Cheers

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger
I've just loaded V4 via APK Mirror and all seems to work now. The interface is a bit pants though. Much preferred V3 which was a lot clearer and more professional looking imho. The location stuff is pretty grim (car is apparently in the road at the back of us, not on the drive) and finding the nearest charger status is right clunky. The charging slider is available on the home screen but not as clear as V3.

At least the functions are back working. Cheers for the guidance on where to find V4.

They probably just fixed the backend..

Hard to get an app bounced by the play store as they don't have an approval process really, more a disapproval process (mixture of automated bots flagging up obvious issues plus reacting to complaints).. I wonder what Tesla managed to do that was so bad..