TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

App Idea - "Fire and Forget" climate control on.

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by DaveVa, Jun 20, 2014.

1. DaveVa

DaveVa Sig Perf #236 VIN #484

One app that I would definitely use is a quick way to turn on climate control.

With the current iPhone app it takes more than a minute to launch the app, wait for the vehicle to wake up, connect and then select the "turn on" option from the climate control screen. I would love a "fire and forget" app that had a single function. Turn on the climate control. It would then go through the connection steps with the car in the background. Notification if it failed via SMS would be great, but not really required since it would probably be 95% effective most of the time.

An app-less approach would be to allow the control/climante commands via text message to a server - It could be configured to only allow receive enabled commands from certain source phone numbers.

Seems like an easy apps for all those developers that have created alternate mobile apps. Thoughts?

2. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

Yes, they need this. I rarely use the app for climate because by the time the app wakes the car up, I'm already there.

3. youlikeadajuice

It would seem like Tesla could make their App work this way...would be greatly appreciated! I hate waiting that minute simply to turn it on.

4. redi

redi 2013 P85+ with HumanPilot Technology

I'd like this with a preset timer or schedule. I often know hours in advance what time I will be at the car ready to go. But alas, I rarely remember with 15 minutes remaining to pull out the phone and turn it on manually.

5. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I emailed Tesla about this last year and they said they'd pass it along to the team that writes the program. Hopefully they are working on this.

6. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

I use the Java program's schedule feature to turn the climate on... like a programmable thermostat. I'm thinking I should add the feature to vent/close the roof to the schedule options just so I can put that in the schedule as well.

7. redi

redi 2013 P85+ with HumanPilot Technology

Yes, however I am often not sitting in front of a computer in enough time to update visibletesla when on the go. Hopefully it will make it into a phone app.

8. shelbri

shelbri Member

Ordered my MS on June 1st and have been thinking about it quite a bit. Does the app allow you to turn on the rear camera and broadcast this back to the phone? That would be a nice feature.

9. dsm363

Not yet. Don't know if that is planned yet. Would be nice. Especially if someone bumps you in a parking deck and it could record their plate.

10. mibaro2

mibaro2 Member

This would be great. I always leave at the same time, but mostly forget to activate the climate control from my computer before I leave.

11. dsm363

Until they fix this simply make it the first thing you do when you pick up your phone in the morning to unplug it. Just like plugging your phone in at night becomes a habit this will too. They could make it easier and hopefully 6.0 addresses some of this.