Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

App not showing charge time remaining

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Patrick W

Mar 17, 2015
SLC, UT
When charging my S85 the Tesla app on my iPhone only indicates the battery is charging. But the images on iTunes have the app showing time remaining.

It would be nice to know how the charging is progressing so I can be prepared to pay my bill at the nearby restaurant and head back to the car when charging is nearly complete.

The pictures below show screen saves of the Tesla app on iTunes (top) showing time remaining and screen saves of my iPhone (bottom) during a recent charging session not showing time remaining.

Anyone else having this problem or have I just not yet found the setting in the app to show the time remaining?

BTW, time remaining is displayed on the touchscreen but that doesn't do me any good when I'm away from the car.

atimes.jpg

The car sends a push notification when the charge is almost done. That gives you a few minutes to finish and pay the bill. Note that if you are range charging, the first notification comes before the maximum daily charge, regardless of where you set the charge limit. A second notice comes when you are almost done.

Usually, when it just says charging it means there is less than a minute left. That doesn't appear to be what's happening to you, so I guess there is a bug in the latest release.

The car sends a push notification when the charge is almost done. That gives you a few minutes to finish and pay the bill. Note that if you are range charging, the first notification comes before the maximum daily charge, regardless of where you set the charge limit. A second notice comes when you are almost done.

Usually, when it just says charging it means there is less than a minute left. That doesn't appear to be what's happening to you, so I guess there is a bug in the latest release.

Thanks Jerry,

I am getting the notification saying it's almost done so, like you say, that does give me a heads up. But when iTunes says one thing and I see something different I figure I've messed up and don't have some setting set correctly.

It absolutely shows you time remaining--when you're not on a supercharger. That's why the iTunes picture is showing 240v/80a.
And the lower picture is clearly supercharging (213mph/385V/155A). Since the charge rate tapers w/ a supercharger, it's pretty hard to predict time remaining (and not really necessary, since it's so short).

And the lower picture is clearly supercharging (213mph/385V/155A). Since the charge rate tapers w/ a supercharger, it's pretty hard to predict time remaining (and not really necessary, since it's so short).

I am not sure if it happened during an app update or a car firmware update, but i now get supercharger time remaining estimates.