Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

App not waking car

Yep. Annoyingly no appointments available in Glasgow until 13/12. A bit annoying for a car with 52 miles on the clock.

Book it in irrespective. Its not uncommon for remote diagnostics to be performed on the car (IF they can contact it and if you can't wake it, they might not be able to either which might be a good indication of a problem to them) especially if its obvious from the concern category booked in the app that it might be something that a remote diagnostics can investigate and hopefully fix.

Adopado

Aug 19, 2019
Scotland
Yep. Annoyingly no appointments available in Glasgow until 13/12. A bit annoying for a car with 52 miles on the clock.
Even if you have a date they will look at it online and if they can resolve the issue they'll do that and cancel your appointment. This happens quite frequently and I would guess there's at least a fair chance your issue may be fixable without an actual visit. [oops, just spotted @VanillaAir_UK already said this ...]

Reactions: Katic1972
Just to keep the dialogue going and perhaps in future to be of some guidance or help to others, I travelled into the city centre to collect my daughter from her work. I was inGlasgow City Centre at 2130, I noticed in town that the nav was still showing as if I was at home, some 7 miles away.

I pressed the current location arrow on the nat screen and it moves to where I was parked up. Thought no more of it and at home just checked to see if I could access the app and car again. Lo and behold the app now is still showing as if I am in the city centre.

Sommat taint right that’s for sure. I am hoping that support can resolve this. Looks like it goes off line and loses where it is.

Attachments

• F7E94B96-69D6-47BB-A5C1-D9A5B219AC42.png
    F7E94B96-69D6-47BB-A5C1-D9A5B219AC42.png
    370.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 7D8B9C2F-5A01-44B9-A067-A9495A797D3D.png
    7D8B9C2F-5A01-44B9-A067-A9495A797D3D.png
    882 KB · Views: 19

Adopado

Aug 19, 2019
Scotland
Just to keep the dialogue going and perhaps in future to be of some guidance or help to others, I travelled into the city centre to collect my daughter from her work. I was inGlasgow City Centre at 2130, I noticed in town that the nav was still showing as if I was at home, some 7 miles away.

I pressed the current location arrow on the nat screen and it moves to where I was parked up. Thought no more of it and at home just checked to see if I could access the app and car again. Lo and behold the app now is still showing as if I am in the city centre.

Sommat taint right that’s for sure. I am hoping that support can resolve this. Looks like it goes off line and loses where it is.
It is expected that the app will initially only show the location where it was last opened and in contact with the car. If things were operating normally it would update the location in the app once it re-established connectivity with the car but it doesn’t do that bit.

I am not sure if I’ve just tripped over a temporary fix for this issue, or at least found a workaround.

If I send a destination to my car via Google maps, by selecting share location to the Tesla app it seems to kick the car into life.

My car was consistently unreachable via the application until I took this action. I’m sure if I leave the app alone now for several minutes it’ll go unreachable again. I’ll report back back.

***Edit*** I’m going to leave this to the Tesla Support guys now. Although the above seemed to have worked it may have just been a coincidence. I reopened the app after 15 mins and again the car was unreachable (I was paitent and gave it several minutes). Yet nothing changed despite sending a new location to the car as above.

Need to step back as it’s messing with my head. Over to you Tesla support.

Last edited:
Still very much the same, matters not whether my car is on Wi-Fi or LTE my app struggles to get connectivity to the car after a time.

Car was on charge last night and I noticed that I could use the app to log on and do all the appy things as normal. When i awoke at 0600 I could not reach the car at all.

There’s a good strong Wi-Fi and LTE signal at the car. I did notice however that if I get within Bluetooth range and toggle the doors open and closed that I was able to then get access via the app again (when I moved out of Bluetooth range).

I have been communicating with my Tesla SA but doubt there’s much they will be able to do, I have a service appointment with the SC on 13/12. My car has 62 miles on the clock since collection on 4/12. (I’ve been busy).

There’s a good strong Wi-Fi and LTE signal at the car. I did notice however that if I get within Bluetooth range and toggle the doors open and closed that I was able to then get access via the app again (when I moved out of Bluetooth range).

Its certainly one for Tesla to sort, but this very much shouts that the SMS wakeup message is not being sent (from Tesla servers) or being received by the car. Hopefully something that can be remotely fixed, such as reconfiguring the eSIM in the car.

This happened several years ago for almost the whole UK fleet and was eventually resolved by Tesla moving their Sim provider from a Spanish provider to a Dutch provider. I wonder how coincidental it is that Tesla is currently migrating providers from that Dutch provider to a UK one... It wouldn't surprise me if you fell down a gap in the middle and once Tesla remote diagnose it will be a quick fix.

Reactions: Adopado

Adopado

Aug 19, 2019
Scotland
Still very much the same, matters not whether my car is on Wi-Fi or LTE my app struggles to get connectivity to the car after a time.

Car was on charge last night and I noticed that I could use the app to log on and do all the appy things as normal. When i awoke at 0600 I could not reach the car at all.

I have been communicating with my Tesla SA but doubt there’s much they will be able to do, I have a service appointment with the SC on 13/12. My car has 62 miles on the clock since collection on 4/12. (I’ve been busy).
It’s definitely just the wake up sms element that isn’t working for whatever reason. All the instances you describe where it works are ones where the car has already been wakened by another process.

Adopado

Aug 19, 2019
Scotland
Forgive me if this sounds naive, but is your iPhone iOS up to date? I haven't had the same experience as you with the Tesla app but I have known apps to misbehave and do weird things if my phone if my iOS isn't up to date. Hope you get it fixed soon.
Definitely that ... and/or trying another phone. I had a knackered old Samsung that was completely unreliable in communicating with the car ... even as a door opening key.

Adopado

Aug 19, 2019
Scotland
Hi all iPhone 11 Pro Max at iOS 15.1 should be ok. Also the same issue on my wife’s iPhone another newer iPhone.

Bizarrely it’s been working this morning (probably the kiss of death) but would it be at all likely that Tesla have already logged on and affected a fix?

How would I know? Would they proactively advise me?
There's every possibility that Tesla have indeed been in there and sorted it out ... fingers crossed! (pedant mode on: "effected" ... pedant mode off "apologies") 🙂

How would I know? Would they proactively advise me?

You quite possibly wouldn't although they may have closed the service request if that was the only item on it.

Sometimes you get a text from remote diagnostics, although iirc that has only been a request for me to do something with the car. Other times, remote diagnostics have been added on the invoice for other work in the service request (you can only have one service request active at any one time) and sometimes nothing.

tl;dr Other than if they sent a text for you to do something, it wouldn't be proactive. But I would check the status of the service request.

Reactions: Katic1972
I had reached out directly to Glasgow SC who said they’d get someone to look at it. I have updated my support ticket with the most recent screen grabs. It all seems ok since about 1000 or so, I just wonder if they’ve done something to resolve it. The ticket is still open however and I’ll leave the car an hour or so to see if it goes to sleep.

Still the same, another poster DM’d me with this thread App issues which highlights Tesla Server Issues as being root cause of the problem. I’ve sent that thread to the remote diagnostic team and hopefully when they get online and onto it we save some time getting to the problem.

I will keep the thread updated in case anyone else has the issue going forward.

• Helpful
Reactions: init6 and Adopado
****Update****

“our Technician's remote diagnosis has found that additional parts may be required for this concern which we will place on order as a precaution to aid on site diagnosis. Please note that after on site checks are carried out, these parts may or may not be required. It may also be necessary to order further parts. The parts we have ordered should arrive in time for your booking, we will let you know if anything gets delayed. Thank you, Tesla Service

NB: All warranty concerns are subject to onsite inspection to determine validity"

A disappointing start to Tesla ownership but at least we have had a quick investigation and I hope a quicker resolution.

I’ve hope they have a courtesy car as on Monday I did have a fair bit of running around to do.

Last edited:

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC