Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

App not waking car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From my (limited) experience with Winchester service centre never assume they'll have a loan car available.
I had to book a service a week later than originally planned because a loan vehicle wasn't available for the planned one.
Ask ASAP to be sure you have a loaner option.
Thanks. Yes, they are confirming if a loaner is available. My car isn’t a week old with 112 miles on the clock. I do hope they have the parts if any are needed.

Righty ho, just to keep this thread updated. I awoke this am and lazily tried to wake my car via the app. I wasn’t expecting much as I am booked into the SC at Glasgow on 21/12 where the SC want to try some parts to get to the root of the issue. To my shock and surprise the app connected and the car appeared in all its glory (iPhone/ Bluetooth disconnected). I let it for to sleep again and tried a few hours later, once more success!!

It’s been 100% ok since last night. Reading the M3 gone wrong thread at least one other M3 owner has had long term issues (ecall disconnected) and they have been resolved overnight.

I texted my SC diagnostic team and asked if there were any server side updates done. Tbh I don’t think they know but still want the car in on 21/12.

I’m monitoring the issue but if by Friday it’s still perfect I’m cancelling the visit.

Still very much the same, matters not whether my car is on Wi-Fi or LTE my app struggles to get connectivity to the car after a time.

Car was on charge last night and I noticed that I could use the app to log on and do all the appy things as normal. When i awoke at 0600 I could not reach the car at all.

There’s a good strong Wi-Fi and LTE signal at the car. I did notice however that if I get within Bluetooth range and toggle the doors open and closed that I was able to then get access via the app again (when I moved out of Bluetooth range).

I have been communicating with my Tesla SA but doubt there’s much they will be able to do, I have a service appointment with the SC on 13/12. My car has 62 miles on the clock since collection on 4/12. (I’ve been busy).

Looks like I am now having the same problems with mine.

Wake up in the morning, it won't wake up the car. I have to get in, drive it, then even reset the phone/car, to get it back.

Looks like I am now having the same problems with mine.

Wake up in the morning, it won't wake up the car. I have to get in, drive it, then even reset the phone/car, to get it back.
I found if you get near enough to your car to connect via Bluetooth you can toggle unlock and lock, close the app fully, reopen the app and it will connect (can take a few seconds, 15-20 sometimes).

Leave the car for say 15-20 mins thereafter though and it goes to sleep and the app cannot connect to the car.

It is ok so far on mine since the wee small hours of 14/12.

Reactions: Simonix
Just to close this out. After monitoring the issue closely from 14/12 to 21/12 I elected to cancel the sc visit. The fault has been rectified by whatever was done remotely server side in the early hours of 14/12. The sc wanted the car in to swap out parts but after a short discussion we agreed to leave it. To be honest I could see no benefit to it plus I really didn’t want my car tinkered with and potentially washed with a grit filled sponge.

Great support though from Tesla at all stages and I’ll continue to monitor the issue. My app sometimes takes up to 15 seconds now to wake the car but before 14/12 it would sit there indefinitely.

App still playing up. Sc appointment tomorrow. Will update all with what happens. I’m predicting a no fault found outcome. The issue being a server side set up but the ecall unavailable error was noticed on the logs so it could be anything really. Antenna/ card/ connector etc.

I’ve had same issue for about 1 - 2 month. Toggling WiFi sometimes resolves but it can happen anywhere (even if car / phone on cellular network).

Does everyone have iPhone that is having issues? Thinking the iOS private Relay might be having an impact… haven’t had chance to test

I’ve had same issue for about 1 - 2 month. Toggling WiFi sometimes resolves but it can happen anywhere (even if car / phone on cellular network).

Does everyone have iPhone that is having issues? Thinking the iOS private Relay might be having an impact… haven’t had chance to test
I looked back on events via the in car menu and notice the ecall service unavailable error. Not sure if you too are seeing that. My car is now in the sc so I’ll update all with findings if any later.

Reactions: CMc1
I looked back on events via the in car menu and notice the ecall service unavailable error. Not sure if you too are seeing that. My car is now in the sc so I’ll update all with findings if any later.
Yes, please update us. I have had this few times but resolved once you drive the car for sometime or reboot or reset the phone. The ecall service unavailable happened few times after software updates or iphone software updates. Not sure what Tesla is going to come up with but my suggestion if you are a new Tesla owner is do not think in a traditional car terms if you get a notice or warning etc., It is not like the warning lights on the ICE cars where there will definitely be a mechanical fault as the little computer in the ICE cars can detect the fault only if something breaks down. With Tesla with each update you can have all these software niggles - just like in your Windows computers - they do settle down with rebooting or driving a bit or with a new update etc., But most of the software niggles are relatively same across all cars, so even if you google the terms you will see many people who had similar issues and resolved without any further action.

Not saying you shouldn't do anything about it. But if it is of any reassurance think of your Tesla more like a PC rather than an ICE car with mechanical parts that can go horribly wrong with minimal warning! - if that is of any help

I am also experiencing intermittent connectivity issues with Tesla app connecting to car. I raised SC ticket to get it checked along with slight steering vibration which is scheduled in first week of January. I will update here on the outcome. My other car is VW ID3 and strangely (although ID3 app functionality is no where near Tesla) VW app connects instantly and gives me latest info from car. Its super quick and and app does not even wait for connection to car. Only time it shows lag is when I try to heat the cabin using app. VW ID3 app no where near perfect but I do wonder how they are able to get latest car data instantly where Tesla app takes long time to get data from car.

Last edited:
I am also experiencing intermittent connectivity issues with Tesla app connecting to car. I raised SC ticket to get it checked along with slight steering vibration which is scheduled in first week of January. I will update here on the outcome. I other car is VW ID3 and strangely (although ID3 app functionality is no where near Tesla) VW app connects instantly and gives me latest info from car. Its super quick and and app does not even wait for connection to car. Only time it shows lag is when I try to heat the cabin using app. VW ID3 app no where near perfect but I do wonder how they are able to get latest car data instantly where Tesla app takes long time to get data from car.
Never had a VW ID or other electric cars. So can't comment on the lag aspect. Don't know whether this has anything to do with cloud activities as most of Tesla's data are cloud based rather than directly in the intel atom chip in the car. Or may be VW has a better chip than the intel atom Tesla uses at the moment!

So my update is kind of good and bad news.

The SC require to rebook the car. Yes the car needs a connectivity board to fix the issue but they couldnt go ahead with the replacement as unfortunately they had to send 3 technicians home due to COVID. If they started replacing trhis part and something goes wrong with the software, then the technician they need to fix that is currently isolating. So we are rebook the car for the week beginning the 10th of January with a loan car. I have a loan car on the 14th.
TL;DR connectivity board to be fitted fitted.

Reactions: CMc1
Well my car is in for their second attempt at changing the “connectivity board”. Couldn’t complete it last time as they had someone critical they needed off with covid.

Hopefully resolved today.

I’ve got a loaner S. it’s a 2016, I’m amazed how different it all is. Seems exactly what it is, of a different generation. Having to use the brakes more too despite regen being set to standard.

Not going to test drive it too much as I’m busy with work but even if I did I doubt I’d buy an S because it’s financially out my league.

Didn’t realise you double tapped the key fob to open the doors took an age to get it to open. So far only thing I’d take over the M3 is the door handles presenting themselves.

Will update later re the board swap and if it fixes my issue where the app cannot wake the car. (Unless I trigger an event such as door open/ close via Bluetooth).