Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

App notifications stopped

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since last two week, no more notifications from the app., charging started, ended, etc. Anyone else with this issue? I am on 2021.44.40.7 f/w and latest app. All notifications are on in the app. I tried toggling off/on.

Reactions: OVB1
My notifications work well for charging. But when I have a software update, it only tells me that software is ready to be installed. Never tells me when it is completed unless I open the app and check the status.
This is similar to my experience recently, charging yes, last software update no. I've not tried summon lately to know if those are coming through.

Reactions: Wol747
I think the "software update completed" notification doesn't exist anymore. I think I haven't seen it since the re-skinned mobile app.

There are a few separate settings for separate notifications, go in the app's settings and make sure the ones you want are turned on.

After that, make sure the configuration of your phone for that mobile app allows it to send notifications, as this can be disabled at the operating system level. This is if you are not getting any notifications at all from the Tesla app.

Thanks for the reminder. I've not been receiving notifications when an update is available for a few updates. Your post reminded me to check and, sure enough, update is available. Updating now.

Following up. While I did not receive the "Update Available" notice I just received the "Software update is complete" notice. ???

Last edited:
Reactions: KyleDay
All my notification checkboxes are checked off but I only get charging started/completed if the car starts charging right after a drive. I get software update available notification but no update completed message. These behavior have been present for more than a year now.

We didn't have any issues with notifications in the past. I might be wrong, but I believe it all started (at least for us) with vehicle software 11 (aka 2021.44.25.2).

We have our S and our X under the same account on both my wife's iPhone 13 Pro and my Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3, and we do get the "Software Update is About to Begin" and "Software Update Complete" notifications, but we are not getting the "Software Update Available".

Fortunately, "Charging Started" and "Charging Stoped/Complete" work perfectly, as well as the Precondition target reached and Cabin overheat protection activated, notifications.

Haven't tried the Alarm triggered notification, but I really really hope it works...

We didn't have any issues with notifications in the past. I might be wrong, but I believe it all started (at least for us) with vehicle software 11 (aka 2021.44.25.2).
Notifications don’t come from the car, they come from the Tesla servers, so the version installed in your car shouldn’t matter. Some notifications are triggered by the car (but sent via the servers), for example charging and alarm events, but I don’t think that’s the case for software update events, especially if you start the install from the mobile app.

The mobile app was updated recently (to 4.4.4), so that’s more likely to be the culprit, if a software change introduced the problem.

Same problem here. Last software update notification was for 2021.44.25.2 (first V11 update). After that, my M3 downloaded 44.30, 44.30.2 and 44.30.7 (today), and none of them triggered any notification. This is not an MS specific problem.

Charging and cabin temperature notifications continue working just fine.

It happens on both my iPhone and iPad, and began before updating the app to 4.4.4

Last edited:
Reactions: Art VandeIay
Some notifications are triggered by the car (but sent via the servers)

You are completely right @EVRider-FL, my theory (based solely on a very quick look yesterday at 2021.44.30.7's source code on my Model S) is that as you know, when a new firmware finishes downloading and/or installing, one of the last things it does is poll Tesla's API in order to request the server to send the Software Update Available or Software Update Complete notification.

I wasn't able to find the line of code for the Software Update Available API request on 2021.44.30.7, but I did find the Software Update Complete:

},
"END_RESULT_SOFTWARE_UPDATE": {
"TYPE": "POST",
"URI": "api/1/vehicles/{}/command/"Software_update_is_complete",
"AUTH": true
},

so the version installed in your car shouldn’t matter

It only matters if a particular version is not requesting Tesla servers to send out a specific notification to the owner/driver's phone app.

I think the "software update completed" notification doesn't exist anymore. I think I haven't seen it since the re-skinned mobile app.

I haven't received a "software update complete" for maybe a year or more, so I wonder if above is true. e.g. today I just updated to 2021.44.30.8 and did not get the "complete" notification.

I have all the notifications turned on in the app. I almost always receive charge-start notifications; I sometimes don't get charge-complete notifications (the "complete" notifications go missing more frequently than the "start' ones).

Recently I got a few "window-is-open" notifications when the car was parked in the garage at home but windows definitely closed.

I just assume all this notification misbehaviour is due to general flakiness of the code...

>>I just assume all this notification misbehaviour is due to general flakiness of the code...<<

Very probably: just like the mirrors' folding and other issues, the notifications have become very random: sometimes they come and sometimes they don't!