Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

App or long-trip planner suggestions for a long trip in Model 3 LR(TN to NJ)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently bought a tesla model3 LR and this is my first long-distance trip(TN to NJ). Is it fine to follow tesla's default navigation for charging?
Any apps or trip planners available?
Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

I plan all my trips on A Better Route Planner (over 20k miles so far). I like to detail plan so I let ABRP show me the route then I go to Tesla.com/findus to look at all the super chargers on the route and what amenities each offers, and pick the fastest chargers (250 over 150, if I can swing it) and choose the comfort breaks (love a Target based charger) and food choices.

Make sure you do the advanced set up in ABRP so you can choose minimum state of charge you’re comfortable with (I usually choose 15% because I want to have a buffer for speed and weather or missing an exit, ABRP will buffer for altitude changes). I also like to stop more often for quicker chargers and avoid long charge stops that charge above 80% - if you haven’t found this already, watch the road trips on Out of Spec Motoring on YouTube to learn a lot about road tripping a Tesla.

Upvote 0
I recently bought a tesla model3 LR and this is my first long-distance trip(TN to NJ). Is it fine to follow tesla's default navigation for charging?
As others have noted, I also use ABRP for planning, but use the car's planner to navigate to superchargers.

Upvote 0
As you play around with the settings in ABRP, be aware of the feature to put in the time of day and date. Range, which affects routing, varies by season. One route planned in the winter for a summer trip sometimes has different charging stops due to range, which is why it's important to tweak ABRP planning with time and date if you want more precise results.

Also, consider tweaking with Google Maps to help figure out a particular routing challenge you might run into which ABRP's algorithms may overlook, as well as help finding nearby attractions, hotels, restaurants, etc.. The Street View feature is also helpful to see what's nearby a Supercharger and to get a sense of what the road is like over various stretches.

Also, to be sure my trip route could be modified to take in something I might otherwise overlook, I top off my trip planning with a visit to TripAdvisor to get ratings and reviews on Attractions, such as parks and (car) museums.

Upvote 0
I’d also suggest having the PlugShare app on your phone, and your home charger and J1172 adapter in your trunk. There may be times when you get detoured off your route or just find you’re in need of a top up for peace of mind (range anxiety usually goes away when you’ve done many trips and trust the car is telling you you’ll get to the charger). I once had to turn around half way through a very remote area because of a wild fire (so routing of any kind couldn’t have known it would happen) and had to figure out a way to get a little more juice to get to a supercharger.

If you’re ever worried about making it, go to the energy screen and look at the prediction of energy usage for the route that’s in navigation already. You’ll see where the car knows you’ll use more energy (like up a mountain) and when you’ll regen (like going down the other side of the mountain). There are times when you can’t logically see how the % of battery you have left will get you to your destination with the predicted end state of charge but the energy screen would reveal a prediction for regen.

If you want to save battery usage because you’re still concerned, slow down or draft behind a big vehicle. Wind resistance (especially if there’s a strong wind coming from in front of you) uses a lot of power and drafting/getting in someone’s slipstream helps you conserve energy.

In the end, have fun and don’t fret too much (as long as you’re prepared).

Reactions: MaskedRacerX
Upvote 0
Thanks all, As suggested I have explored ABRP and it seems it factors weather and road conditions with the premium subscription. I am not sure how accurate that would be but based on reviews it seems it's quite accurate. Thanks for your suggestions! :D @chrstna4, Thanks for the YouTube channel suggestion!
Actually, the paid sub only adds wind, in its trip prediction. The other features are all convenience features, like saving your data for analysis, traffic re-routing, charger availability, etc. The unpaid app is very good, but wind can make a big difference. I drove 4400 miles on a road trip this year, and ABRP with subscription was accurate to within 1% SOC. The car's planner was off by as much as 14% as I faced 16mph headwinds. The sub was free for 14 days and only $5 a month, afterward. Even though my trip was less than 14 days, I kept it so the developer could get the $5 for a month. It was most definitely worth it.

Reactions: MG535
Upvote 0
The car can calculate much better then the app. It will bring up super charger locations when needed. It will also precondition the battery when routing to a SC so the car can charge faster when you get there.

Upvote 0
I’d also suggest having the PlugShare app on your phone, and your home charger and J1172 adapter in your trunk.

Another vote for PlugShare as an additional planning tool. It was through that app that I discovered free charging at a couple of resorts, in a parking area I had no idea existed - even though we've been going to them for like 20 years.

The other nice thing PlugShare offers, is actual reviews/photos of the charging locations, so you often get some good advanced insight into the location.

Reactions: chrstna4
Upvote 0