Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

App- Preheat- seat heaters... all five??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Note if you tap the drivers seat it will go to the next level and shut the rest off. Then you can keep tapping to desired level. That’s what I do every time.

I find it kind of silly that it turns on all 5 by default too.

It's part of preconditioning when it's really cold. I'm not a heat transfer expert, but I'm assuming that mildly warming all the seats helps the cabin stay warmer so the HVAC doesn't have to work as hard. It's probably a lot more efficient than preheating without the seat warmers.

I think that explains what I thought was erratic behavior...sometimes the seat heaters all turn on. Sometimes the icons for them do not show up at all. Sometimes after restarting the app they show up

It seems like I see the seat heaters when the interior of the car is <50 deg. Not sure though. Going to have to pay attention to it for a while. Lol! Sliding into a ice cold stiff leather seat is never a pleasurable experience.

It seems like I see the seat heaters when the interior of the car is <50 deg. Not sure though. Going to have to pay attention to it for a while. Lol! Sliding into a ice cold stiff leather seat is never a pleasurable experience.

Mine came on at lunchtime when the car's interior was 55 degrees. But not this morning when it was 61. My bet's on 60 as the cutoff. Seems kinda warm...

Could be a combo of interior and exterior temps too...

• Informative
Reactions: tccartier
It's part of preconditioning when it's really cold. I'm not a heat transfer expert, but I'm assuming that mildly warming all the seats helps the cabin stay warmer so the HVAC doesn't have to work as hard. It's probably a lot more efficient than preheating without the seat warmers.

I think that when the seats are warm you don't feel as cold, even if the air temp is colder. This makes sense because more body heat is lost to the seats than to the air because the thermal mass of the seats is greater than of the air