TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

App Running All the Time

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by mariod, Aug 29, 2018.

1. mariod

mariod Member

With a recent update, the Tesla app runs all the time in the background, and is always trying to connect. It shows in the status screen on the phone. Is there any way to turn that off? I don't need the app always trying to connect to the car. Only when I need it to. I'm concerned it may not allow the car to sleep. Is the worry unfounded? The platform is android.

2. GregRF

GregRF Squirrel Power

The app always has tried to connect with the car, the only difference now is that it is in your notifications. The car sleeps just fine with the notification (checked just now via TeslaFi). If you don't like the notification, hold down the notification on the drop-down and you can select to turn it off.

3. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

I believe that the app stays active to function as a key. It isn't trying to keep the car awake

4. angelman

angelman Member

What has changed is that on Android at least there is now always a Tesla icon in the notification bar. I guess the idea is that it allows quick access to things like open frunk and locking the car but I am a little OCD about my notifications and it annoys me having it there all the time. that said I don't want to turn off all notifications because some of them I do want to see.

5. angelman

angelman Member

Oh I see you are right.. I had not seen this feature before where you can hide that notification in that way on Android.. cool.. thanks for the tip!

6. SomeJoe7777

SomeJoe7777 Marginally-Known Member

This is a new feature introduced in v3.4.4 of the Android Tesla app, and I believe it's been done specifically to solve the phone-as-key problems. On Android, apps that run in the notification bar are given much higher background task priority, this allows the Tesla app to avoid battery optimizations and sleep modes, ensuring it can listen on the BlueTooth connection at all times.

• Informative x 1
  7. Bandit

Bandit Member

The Phone Key Status notification can remain enabled but minimized to not bother us. Long-press the notification, press Details, press Phone Key Status and change the Importance from High to Low. The notification will still be there for a quick unlock, minus the icon.

• Like x 1
  8. Snow Drift

Snow Drift Slip Start: [Activated]

Do you leave the app open (in background) or do you swipe it closed when you don’t specifically need it?

Is the car constantly being woken up if you don’t manually swipe the app closed?