Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

App Running All the Time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With a recent update, the Tesla app runs all the time in the background, and is always trying to connect. It shows in the status screen on the phone. Is there any way to turn that off? I don't need the app always trying to connect to the car. Only when I need it to. I'm concerned it may not allow the car to sleep. Is the worry unfounded? The platform is android.

The app always has tried to connect with the car, the only difference now is that it is in your notifications. The car sleeps just fine with the notification (checked just now via TeslaFi). If you don't like the notification, hold down the notification on the drop-down and you can select to turn it off.

• Informative
Reactions: Kleenerth3
What has changed is that on Android at least there is now always a Tesla icon in the notification bar. I guess the idea is that it allows quick access to things like open frunk and locking the car but I am a little OCD about my notifications and it annoys me having it there all the time. that said I don't want to turn off all notifications because some of them I do want to see.

This is a new feature introduced in v3.4.4 of the Android Tesla app, and I believe it's been done specifically to solve the phone-as-key problems. On Android, apps that run in the notification bar are given much higher background task priority, this allows the Tesla app to avoid battery optimizations and sleep modes, ensuring it can listen on the BlueTooth connection at all times.

• Informative
Reactions: favo
The Phone Key Status notification can remain enabled but minimized to not bother us. Long-press the notification, press Details, press Phone Key Status and change the Importance from High to Low. The notification will still be there for a quick unlock, minus the icon.

Reactions: fyresoul
Problem is that forcing it to run in the background drains the battery (I get warnings on my Huawei P10 that it constantly scans for Bluetooth), so is there a problem stopping in running the background? I use it as a key but I'm happy to start the app manually when I need to drive.

Problem is that forcing it to run in the background drains the battery (I get warnings on my Huawei P10 that it constantly scans for Bluetooth), so is there a problem stopping in running the background? I use it as a key but I'm happy to start the app manually when I need to drive.
Tried disabling the "allow to run in background" and it works fine. I can now swipe the app to close it and as I normally use the app just before I leave to switch on the A/C, it is in the foreground and the car opens automatically when I get there :)