Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

App settings not optimal for my use case....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
Maybe it's my lack of understanding or something I'm not settings correctly, but the current setting choices aren't optimized for minimizing NBCs but maximizing peak net production back to the grid.

From February to the end of October.I make more than enough sun during the day to cover both my current usage and peak usage at night after the sun has gone down, so during the day before peak time hits, self consumption mode does what I want and doesn't pull anything from the grid. When 3pm hits, I switch over to advanced time based so that all the sun hits the grid at peak prices.

If I just leave it on advanced time based, then I consume off the grid and charge the battery more than I need to and then 3 pm hits and all the sun starts going to the grid at peak times. But before that, I'm pulling electricity off the grid at cheap prices but with the NBCs. Since I make enough during the day before 3 pm to cover my usage from sun up to midnight (when off peak starts), I'd rather be in self consumption mode from sun up to 3 pm and then advanced mode from 3 pm to sun down. After sun down, both modes do exactly the same thing...run off the battery because electricity is expensive.

So I have an alarm set to switch to advanced every day at three and then back to self consumption at sunset.

the current setting choices aren't optimized for minimizing NBCs
Good question. I have tried various scenerios with my DIY hybrid system and not determined what is optimal. I have two Teslas and by using self consumption Mode I reduced my NBCs by $3 from $11 per month to $8 per month.
The additional challenge for me is burning off my NEM credit before True Up. Most of my NBCs are from off peak charging at $0.15 per kWh plus NBCs.

• Informative
Reactions: sorka
It illustrates the need for Tesla to offer a true "advanced" mode that allows the user direct control of the system behavior (rather than relying on modes whose behavior is not always predictable.) The options they have are fine for many cases, but there should be a way to set more concrete rules.