Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

App showing really high interior temp

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jjrad

Oct 13, 2017
CA
Just picked up model 3 today -- the interior temp on the app is reporting over 110 degrees the outside temp is 60 degrees.( car is parked) This is clearly not correct. Has anyone had this? I am going to try a hard reboot tonight. Maybe I have a bad sensor but when the climate is on it seems correct. My concern is I don't want the incorrect reading to cause the car to cool itself all day and draw down the battery. Any insight?

Yep, been there seen this. Cars get hot and you don’t know because you and any other reporting equipment weren’t there. I watched my X as it sat outside the SC in September waiting for a couple of days to be worked on. I even started the AC a couple of times. :D It got hot!

totally reasonable cabin temp if the windows are rolled up. Lots of glass, black interior. In the summer if you don't crack a window, you can see temps in the 140s.

Last weekend, it was high 20s here in NH. The cabin (model S, black trim, black exterior) was 74 degrees sitting outside in the sun. That's almost a 50-degree gradient, similar to your situation.

Last edited:
I was thinking this must be a security issue so the ability to open windows remotely might lead to breaking into cars, but then why do they allow the Model S to open the sunroof remotely? Also, if you have seen the Rich Rebuilds videos you know how easy it is to get into a Tesla.

-Randy

I was thinking this must be a security issue so the ability to open windows remotely might lead to breaking into cars, but then why do they allow the Model S to open the sunroof remotely? Also, if you have seen the Rich Rebuilds videos you know how easy it is to get into a Tesla.

-Randy

I think you can only vent the roof remotely on the S -- not open it.

So it IS a security effort to prevent people from accidentally opening their car with their purse on the front seat? Has anyone ever officially said?

-Randy
Not sure what Tesla’s reasoning is, but most cars I’ve seen with some sort of remote window controls only allow you to put the windows down, not up again. This leads me to believe there’s a safety concern with remotely closing the windows without being able to ensure they are clear of obstructions. If this was actually the case then it would be nice if Tesla added a vent mode that just opened the windows slightly without leaving enough space for fingers to get stuck (or people to reach in and grab your purse).

Reactions: ℬête Noire
How is that possible? I thought the car cooled itself if it got over 95°, this whole cooling system bing able to be turned off coming in the next update is still confusing.

-Randy
Nope, the 3 did not keep itself cool, I explicitly turned my AC on a few times this past weekend.

Cabin overheat protection was just added with the latest update (haven't seen it yet myself). As part of adding this feature, an option to turn it off was also put in place. Besides that, the latest update adds Summon and WiFi to the 3.

Early on someone said the interior temp was inaccurate as the temps got really hot so I took a home hygrometer/thermometer and compared temps.

They were very close in value through the whole range that I measured. Hottest I measured was 115 but I'm fully tinted with shades on the windshield and pano.

• Informative
Reactions: ℬête Noire