Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

App showing really high interior temp

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up model 3 today -- the interior temp on the app is reporting over 110 degrees the outside temp is 60 degrees.( car is parked) This is clearly not correct. Has anyone had this? I am going to try a hard reboot tonight. Maybe I have a bad sensor but when the climate is on it seems correct. My concern is I don't want the incorrect reading to cause the car to cool itself all day and draw down the battery. Any insight?

One great way to do it, as others have mentioned, is to get you a digital thermometer and keep it in the car.

These will usually keep a record of what the highest temp it sees!

You can compare with what it is showing you and see how close they actually are!

Early on someone said the interior temp was inaccurate as the temps got really hot so I took a home hygrometer/thermometer and compared temps.

They were very close in value through the whole range that I measured. Hottest I measured was 115 but I'm fully tinted with shades on the windshield and pano.
Adding a film is going to be really important to the Model 3
Those usually only measure surface temp, IIRC.

A normal thermometer will measure air temp!

If you have a black dashboard in the sun, if you touch it, it will be hotter than the surrounding air!

Yeah, you'd definitely want to point the IR thermometer at something shaded, like the cloth headboard over the windshield. If the car's been in a relatively stable state a good while that should be pretty close to ambient. The headboard should have the hottest air gradient next to it, being at the top of the cabin.

I'm curious, is this with aftermarket window film or is that stock?

These temps are not unusual for Oklahoma in the summer. I have film on the front and rear doors, but not the front or back. The tint on the top glass is beyond good, so most of the heat is coming in through the front window. One of the earlier software versions I had, had overheat protection in a hidden menu. I couldn't say for sure, but it seemed like it may have also been motion/heat activated.

• Informative
Reactions: ℬête Noire
These temps are not unusual for Oklahoma in the summer. I have film on the front and rear doors, but not the front or back. The tint on the top glass is beyond good, so most of the heat is coming in through the front window.

Yeah, I get Tulsa's not that far North of here. :) Reason I asked was because I'm definitely putting film on the sides & back and was wondering what the baseline was. The rear window is pretty big and quite horizontal so, even with the partial factory tint, it'll really soak the noon-ish sun up. For the same reason I'm going to try get the windshield done, too, with a 90% (basically no tint, just heat block) once I get solid confirmation that's legal here in TX (pretty sure it is).

One of the earlier software versions I had, had overheat protection in a hidden menu. I couldn't say for sure, but it seemed like it may have also been motion/heat activated.

Oh? I had not heard about that.

Yeah, I get Tulsa's not that far North of here. :) Reason I asked was because I'm definitely putting film on the sides & back and was wondering what the baseline was. The rear window is pretty big and quite horizontal so, even with the partial factory tint, it'll really soak the noon-ish sun up. For the same reason I'm going to try get the windshield done, too, with a 90% (basically no tint, just heat block) once I get solid confirmation that's legal here in TX (pretty sure it is).

Oh? I had not heard about that.
As I remember, you had to push the brake and and passenger airbag icon as the same time, and it brought up an extra menu.

• Informative
They were very close in value through the whole range that I measured. Hottest I measured was 115 but I'm fully tinted with shades on the windshield and pano.

Can you suggest an option for a windshield shade that works well with the Model 3? I've tried a few that I had purchased from Autozone for previous cars. Even the largest one I have that works great on the pickup didn't work on the Model 3 with its large windshield and the tiny sun visors.

Can you suggest an option for a windshield shade that works well with the Model 3? I've tried a few that I had purchased from Autozone for previous cars. Even the largest one I have that works great on the pickup didn't work on the Model 3 with its large windshield and the tiny sun visors.
I use two of the 'twist to fold' somewhat rounded standard size shades. They work fine, although I do have to release the sun visor to bring it down low enough to pin the shades.

R4FFsvJWD81UtPpikmNDkmUP94OMeoL1eaEuptyn6zCOH8g0Qo1HxN9GQvjkIM8i0hMhuCca9rCBgOZCn-FrkqQxRHmciu9hwjrbeUMUTn95gLXr9IbDFx3ukSw13XUIk7bXG8qY-NzAnsL2STVTurJSOQ3tUEEyTqHokTHt8ySuJSoLQgGBm1v7PSNXadOGFiVIXuP8Z0Sq5bNNqzUttRqHjJbNMRELAJ9O7SnoLbnmyzPOJrrICW5s5wQoNt0o2Gmpnwc_Ac7F-a9l-jYfcPTUnUSnfUDdDEknDSt19ZaN4vnCdMm5eJ0KGPhuYsnNwcal91SmUlJGYo-aTA4twXD_9bi8XN7gz_je1HIzqM2wN4XMSdHfJ-8rdjKFGfZYc0-j9_LsUmluiLI7065OEDr5JlttZadP4zEmMMjvFyxY3OoD2s40TXzmLFA22ysuDb_3ytlJFn3P55mqDhc-9BT6GjnZy7n6i9cSvAWkInOE-Of7kPqOAsJEO4WL5Ay3ytII1L8kjoCi8-q6-LLMbkMM6lH4lKGfUTFRagI8k06zYOz6yiMHB7thtbMcSecUcdat9bUi2H9YLp52JSdN9yJlJb8fzcF4zeC4G-A=w391-h220-no

I bought this one in size large: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073HBKS4W

It fit wells and it folds compact. You have to remove the visors from their holders but it works.

The accordion style ones work better but take up too much space.

• Informative