Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

App to remind me to take my iPhone from car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to add to the request to create some sort of sound/alert that would tell the driver as they are existing that their phone is on the charger/in the car
After seeing this thread, I implemented an automation using HomeAssistant to do this. In my implementation, when the car goes into park from either drive or reverse, if my Android phone is using a wireless charger and the car is away from home, the car will honk the horn, then flash the headlights. Pretty trivial to implement.

I first tried triggering on the doors open state, but there is enough delay in getting the car's state, that it is possible to open the door, exit, and close the door without HomeAssistant seeing the open state. The park state seems to work OK. My only concern is if there is too much delay, I could be inside a building when the car honks.

I thought about having the car automatically lock if this automation runs, but, if I left my wallet, with keycard at home, I could find myself in a pickle!

Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, IOS does not report a charger type, so it's not possible to know that an iPhone is using a wireless charger. I can see if an iPhone is charging, but am unsure what is reported if the phone was fully charged sitting on a wireless charger. Maybe it still reports charging? Android has a much richer HomeAssistant interface than IOS.

After seeing this thread, I implemented an automation using HomeAssistant to do this.
great idea
Of course it’s be wonderful if Tesla simply updated their software to match the “cutting edge technology“ found in most cars …well over 15 years ago.
(I studied BASIC in 9th grade 50 years ago so my coding is a bit rusty)

line 1- when car put in park and driver’s door opened, if no weight on driver’s seat go to line 3
line 2- go to line 7
line 3- when door shut and no weight on driver’s seat, if phonekey is within car’s interior, go to line 5
line 4- go to line 7
line 5- beep horn and send notification to smartwatch
line 6- wait two second and go to line 3
line 7- end

This is not as complex as putting the fart button on the mobile app, which was clearly a priority for the Tesla engineering team, but maybe a little more important

(hoping engineers read this)

Reactions: Transformer
great idea
Of course it’s be wonderful if Tesla simply updated their software to match the “cutting edge technology“ found in most cars …well over 15 years ago.
(I studied BASIC in 9th grade 50 years ago so my coding is a bit rusty)

line 1- when car put in park and driver’s door opened, if no weight on driver’s seat go to line 3
line 2- go to line 7
line 3- when door shut and no weight on driver’s seat, if phonekey is within car’s interior, go to line 5
line 4- go to line 7
line 5- beep horn and send notification to smartwatch
line 6- wait two second and go to line 3
line 7- end

This is not as complex as putting the fart button on the mobile app, which was clearly a priority for the Tesla engineering team, but maybe a little more important

(hoping engineers read this)
If you have a smartwatch, it seems like it would be even simpler for the watch to alert you anytime your phone is out of bluetooth range. Then you have protection for leaving your phone at home, in the restaurant, at work, etc. I would have thought that the smartwatch makers would have made that one of *their* priorities since that is a trivial use case to implement and solves a universal problem.

Reactions: ScottNY and cmy4x4
If you have a smartwatch, it seems like it would be even simpler for the watch to alert you anytime your phone is out of bluetooth range. Then you have protection for leaving your phone at home, in the restaurant, at work, etc. I would have thought that the smartwatch makers would have made that one of *their* priorities since that is a trivial use case to implement and solves a universal problem.
I have that but it’s not that effective. The Watch notification alert isn’t instantaneous, but only after it’s out of range. With a simple software update the alert could be generated as soon as the door is closed.