Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

App update available!! There is a catch...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still no evidence that the app update is doing any more than just displaying that the heated items are activated.There is no evidence they are being turned on by the app (and I DO have the latest updates of both the app and car versions).

Reactions: NerdDoc
I keep having problems with the app NOT connecting. I get the line "updated on Feb 4" and a spinning circle. I go to another location, another day, another parking spot - thinking it might have been obscured by something. So, Summon does not work, and preheating the car does not work...because the car is ignoring my phone.
Any suggestion as to how to improve its reliability to connect?

Still no evidence that the app update is doing any more than just displaying that the heated items are activated.There is no evidence they are being turned on by the app (and I DO have the latest updates of both the app and car versions).
I also have current app and supported car firmware, but don't have cold weather package. Even I manually turn on seat heater, it does not show in app, does yours?

And agree, enabling seat heating in app would be welcome!

new |v2018.4.1| AP2 |

Other threads imply that when the preheating for the cabin is running (you turning on the climate) and the battery pack is cold so it turns on the pack heaters (the original concept here where the battery icon appears, this was back around the first of the year!), then these also turn on the seats, the steering wheel, and the wiper heaters (if you have these).

Other people say some/none of this happens (as above in this thread). Be nice to have a definitive answer to this. There have also been at least (as of today) three versions (for the X/S) of the firmware that has this functionality (or at least interacts with the app version that shows you something, lol....).

One more wish for someone on the dev team at Tesla to spill the beans, like ElonsJacket used to on Reddit! :D

I have 2018.4.1 and the latest version of the iPhone app.

If you leave / Park the car with steering and seat heat on, they will turn on when you turn on the climate control from the app.

There is no way to individually turn them on or off within the app.

If you leave the driver's seat heat and steering wheel on, they will both come back on because those features are both persistent.

The release notes to the app say it turns those features on if it is cold. It does not say what temp it has to be. You are right there does not appear to be direct individual seat control. Since I am always the driver, that's fine by me ;)

Still no evidence that the app update is doing any more than just displaying that the heated items are activated.

That's all the app is doing. As long as the car's firmware is updated,the new features (defrost etc.) will work, but an older version of the app just won't show it. I often use Visible Tesla to turn on HVAC and still get the new features, but VT just doesn't show it.