Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

App update interval

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When we first had our solar installed the app wasn’t reporting any info about the array. When we called support, they added the gateway to our account and we started seeing our energy use, however the solar still wasn’t showing up, only grid and home energy use.

Eventually, after several calls they got the solar to start reporting. The issue is that before solar was added, the app was updating energy use at near real time. We could turn on appliances or our AC and nearly immediately see the change in the app. It was great for figuring out what in our house was using the most energy. When they finally got the solar working, it went to updating at like 15 minute intervals. Is that normal? Should I call them back and ask them about it again? They had no idea what I was talking about when I asked originally.

That does seem like there is an issue, at least based on my experience. The power flow page updates in (near) real time for us, so if I turn on the A/C, I will see the house number increase within at most a few seconds, and the other flows adjust accordingly. I will note that the other screens, like the energy usage screen, do not seem to update without manual intervention (and, somewhat annoyingly, I have found the graphs to sometimes only update by going to yesterday and back to today.)

One other note, because it might apply here, is there are two "gateway" devices - there is the large, gray box (at least for v1) that is the Tesla Energy Gateway. There is also the much smaller, thin, black box that is the Tesla Solar Gateway.

Reactions: Keith
That does seem like there is an issue, at least based on my experience. The power flow page updates in (near) real time for us, so if I turn on the A/C, I will see the house number increase within at most a few seconds, and the other flows adjust accordingly. I will note that the other screens, like the energy usage screen, do not seem to update without manual intervention (and, somewhat annoyingly, I have found the graphs to sometimes only update by going to yesterday and back to today.)

One other note, because it might apply here, is there are two "gateway" devices - there is the large, gray box (at least for v1) that is the Tesla Energy Gateway. There is also the much smaller, thin, black box that is the Tesla Solar Gateway.

Thanks for replying. I didn’t feel like having another long customer service call if it just turned out that my system is operating like it’s supposed to. I guess I’ll give them a call and leave an update here with what they say.