Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

App won't wake car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the update to 2022.20.6 I'm experiencing the app not waking the car. As soon as I wake the car by opening a door, or just approaching with the keyfob (I don't use my phone as a key) all is OK. Sometimes it works, but more often than not, it won't. Anyone else getting this? I have searched the forum, but most solutions have been resetting either the car or the phone - I've done both, but still the problem persists. Never had this before the latest update.

Since the update to 2022.20.6 I'm experiencing the app not waking the car. As soon as I wake the car by opening a door, or just approaching with the keyfob (I don't use my phone as a key) all is OK. Sometimes it works, but more often than not, it won't. Anyone else getting this? I have searched the forum, but most solutions have been resetting either the car or the phone - I've done both, but still the problem persists. Never had this before the latest update.
I’m confused. You dont use your phone as a key, and you’re saying that the phone as key isnt working? Er….

No, I'm not. The app won't wake the car to start the charge, set climate, etc. Nothing to do with using my phone as a key - I have the keyfob for that. This is not bluetooth related, but wifi/lte. Once the car has been awoken by any other means, it's OK - just won't wake from the app.

Does this happen every time you approach the car or only happens when you leave the car for a prolonged period of time? The car will go into deep sleep to conserve battery. When it is in deep sleep, you will need to wake the car prior to unlocking it.

Let's take tonight's example. I had the car parked, locked and charging in my garage - limit set to 85%. I checked the charge rate intermittently over the course of several hours with no problems. After the car had reached the limit, I presume it went to sleep. Trying to check with the app just results in the "last seen xx hours ago" with the spinning wheel. Going out to the car, as soon as I open the door, the app connects.

I use the android widget and it does this to me quite often. I usually have to swipe up the app to close it and then, when I reopen, its connected to my car.

You say you have reset the car and the phone...have you tried reinstalling the app and/or deleting the phone from the car and then repairing?

Also, gtfo Basildon :)

I’ve noticed since .6 that it’s slower to recognise the phone on approach to the car and allow me to open the doors vs before. Also slower to wake the car from the app on occasion (but not all the time) too. So not just you.

I had this last night for the first time. Coincided with getting the charge stats part of the app. Couldn’t see or wake the car last night as I was tinkering with the new stats feature. This morning all seems fine.

The app hasn’t updated since 15 Jul but whatever happened I assume caused the issue.

Are you seeing a good mobile signal in the car? When the car is asleep, the tesla servers wake the car by sending it an SMS, so the car needs to have mobile signal. (Wi-Fi doesn't help here because the car isn't connected to data when it's asleep.)

Even if good signal, can just be a glitch either with Tesla servers, or with the mobile network not delivering the SMS promptly.

I don’t think the SMS is coming from your phone. What’s likely to be happening is that a request from the app is sent to Tesla servers, and from there or thereabouts an SMS is sent.

But the point about the car being out of cell range might make sense. I guess they use SMS to wake because it’s cheaper, especially when the car is not being used. It also might be easier to reach in areas where data isn’t great but cell is.

I don’t think the SMS is coming from your phone. What’s likely to be happening is that a request from the app is sent to Tesla servers, and from there or thereabouts an SMS is sent.
Right. The SMS is from the Tesla servers to your car.
But the point about the car being out of cell range might make sense. I guess they use SMS to wake because it’s cheaper, especially when the car is not being used. It also might be easier to reach in areas where data isn’t great but cell is.
They can't use the normal data connection, because the data connection (whether wi-fi or cellular) is presumably handled by the MCU, which is powered off at this point, so there's probably nothing in the car that's actually capable of talking to the Internet at this point. However, the connectivity board (with its cellular modem) is always powered, and it can trigger the car to power the MCU on when Tesla instructs it to wake the car. I guess they use SMS for simplicity and/or lower power draw.

Reactions: dafish
Can’t comment as to whether the latest update caused this issue for you but when I got my car last December I had a similar issue. Tesla needed to swap out the connectivity board. (I think that’s what it’s called), there was a thread on it earlier this year. Search for app not waking car.

I brought it into service today for this exact issue (also on 2022.20 for FSD beta), they said it's under investigation and will be fixed in a future firmware update. Also suggested turning on Sentry Mode as a workaround (i.e. stop the car from going to sleep).