Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Appaled by Tesla Trade in value, Don't match with carmax

Willjou

Dec 13, 2018
Phoenix
If you have Carvana in your area give it a try. Tesla offered $21,000 for our 2014 Model S 85 with 55,000 miles towards a trade for a new Model 3. Carvana cut us a check for $32,000. Did everything online and they came and picked it up pretty much no questions asked other than a few photos and questionnaire online.

Reactions: Zythryn

CapeOne

Jun 14, 2016
New England
Just ran my VIN/Year/Mileage for my 2017 Bolt Premier with 46K mi on it through VROOM and Carvana... the results are below.
Tesla offered me $17,700 for the Bolt.
$19,369 is a pretty generous offer from Vroom. You can find 2017 Bolt Premiers online with similar or fewer miles being offered at dealerships for less than $20k.....and that's before any potential negotiations.

jsargevt

Jun 10, 2020
NH
I emailed one of my local dealers since I let the registration for my trade in expire. They gave me a fair price over email and came with a check. Three signatures and they drove off and I had my check.

This was much preferable to taking the risk of trying to drive 90 mins to CarMax and Vroom/Carvana don't exist up here so I'd have to drive and meet somewhere. With the luck I have been having, I'd get pinched with an unregistered vehicle ticket.

Just providing a viable alternative for those of you outside the Vroom/Carvana/CarMax markets.

NY_Rob

Feb 13, 2020
Long Island
I just got my first offer on Vroom. When they gave you another offer for an additional $500, did that happen via email automatically? Someone call you? Did you do just another appraisal and it went up?
I didn't have to do anything.. I just got another email from them 2hrs later with the better offer. That was back on Feb 27th. First offer was for $19,500.. 2hrs later they sent me another offer for $20K even. The have not done that this time, just the one offer you see above.

1windy

Jul 27, 2014
suffolk
Superchargers at service centers are not, and have never been for public use.
Sounds like the sign was added to reinforce the policy and educate the public.
It used to be available for the public use, back in '14, I used it a few times.It is in a very deserted area and I never was comfortable there. Haven't owned a tesla since '18.

Zythryn

Model Y custom Warming Stripes wrap.
Mar 18, 2009
Minnesota
It used to be available for the public use, back in '14, I used it a few times.It is in a very deserted area and I never was comfortable there. Haven't owned a tesla since '18.

"It"? A supercharger at a Tesla Service Center? How was that deserted?

That said, early on, some Service Centers that did have superchargers were loose on the policy and let the public use them.
As Tesla grew, they learned that they need to be consistent with such policies.

1windy

Jul 27, 2014
suffolk
It is in a remote area not many people after closing. One way in and out. Not the best area, very industrial area and after hours not much traffic at all. Had to use it once and wouldn't want to use it much. Certainly didn't want my wife to go there alone at night. Not that she would anyway. Very sketchy area after hours. And definitely a super charger.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC