Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Appaled by Tesla Trade in value, Don't match with carmax

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you have Carvana in your area give it a try. Tesla offered $21,000 for our 2014 Model S 85 with 55,000 miles towards a trade for a new Model 3. Carvana cut us a check for $32,000. Did everything online and they came and picked it up pretty much no questions asked other than a few photos and questionnaire online.

Reactions: Zythryn
Just ran my VIN/Year/Mileage for my 2017 Bolt Premier with 46K mi on it through VROOM and Carvana... the results are below.
Tesla offered me $17,700 for the Bolt.
$19,369 is a pretty generous offer from Vroom. You can find 2017 Bolt Premiers online with similar or fewer miles being offered at dealerships for less than $20k.....and that's before any potential negotiations.

I emailed one of my local dealers since I let the registration for my trade in expire. They gave me a fair price over email and came with a check. Three signatures and they drove off and I had my check.

This was much preferable to taking the risk of trying to drive 90 mins to CarMax and Vroom/Carvana don't exist up here so I'd have to drive and meet somewhere. With the luck I have been having, I'd get pinched with an unregistered vehicle ticket.

Just providing a viable alternative for those of you outside the Vroom/Carvana/CarMax markets.

I just got my first offer on Vroom. When they gave you another offer for an additional $500, did that happen via email automatically? Someone call you? Did you do just another appraisal and it went up?
I didn't have to do anything.. I just got another email from them 2hrs later with the better offer. That was back on Feb 27th. First offer was for $19,500.. 2hrs later they sent me another offer for $20K even. The have not done that this time, just the one offer you see above.

It used to be available for the public use, back in '14, I used it a few times.It is in a very deserted area and I never was comfortable there. Haven't owned a tesla since '18.

"It"? A supercharger at a Tesla Service Center? How was that deserted?

That said, early on, some Service Centers that did have superchargers were loose on the policy and let the public use them.
As Tesla grew, they learned that they need to be consistent with such policies.

It is in a remote area not many people after closing. One way in and out. Not the best area, very industrial area and after hours not much traffic at all. Had to use it once and wouldn't want to use it much. Certainly didn't want my wife to go there alone at night. Not that she would anyway. Very sketchy area after hours. And definitely a super charger.

The guy at the Tesla place where I did my test drive was clear that third-party selling is the way to go. Carvana will give me more than I owe on my current car - he said Tesla trade ins are not good at all.
Don’t forget that you save applicable state sales tax when you trade in versus selling and putting the cash down. (6% in KY) you pay sales tax on the new car amount left after your trade in amount is applied. It’s a 2600 swing in my case. That’s about how much Tesla was off on my appraisal, but I guess they already know that, hence the low trade in evaluation.

Don’t forget that you save applicable state sales tax when you trade in versus selling and putting the cash down. (6% in KY) you pay sales tax on the new car amount left after your trade in amount is applied. It’s a 2600 swing in my case. That’s about how much Tesla was off on my appraisal, but I guess they already know that, hence the low trade in evaluation.
Not valid in all states. Atleast in California you have to pay sales tax on full price irrespective of trade in