Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

APPALLING quality control; alignment!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
^^^^HAHAHAHAHA! How many stories, first-hand, would you like about shitty customer service from: VAG, Audi, Honda, Ford, even Toyota????

Customer service is, IMO, usually a local issue.
Oh, I totally agree. EVERY brand can and does have shitty customer service, but the main difference is with EVERY other brand you can call a Service Center and you can call the headquarters. This is essentially impossible with Tesla. My Model Y Performance I took delivery of about two weeks ago is for the most part excellent! I lucked out with flawless paint, perfect wheels, a perfect interior and all options are working exactly as they should!

I've noticed, as expected with Tesla can do no wrong members, that claws come out the minute anyone dares say anything negative about Tesla. I have owned so many brands from Honda and Toyota to Rolls-Royce and Bentley (and everything in between)....and there is no perfect car. But we cannot be delusional...some brands and customer service are much better than others ;)

Reactions: 8rain and MrJeep997
Deutsch100: Sounds like we're close to being on the same page. MY point is, if the SC is properly manned, and THEY do the job right, w/o nonsensical argument, the issue would never NEED to go beyond the front line. AFAIK, I'm lucky here in Fort Worth, as I've heard only a couple of trivial complaints about the FW SC. I met all the advisors, a couple of the techs, PRIOR to taking delivery of my car. They had it prepped perfectly, except...well...uhh...they didn't check lugnut torque, only at around 70lb/ft, should be 129lb/ft.

The day I drove it out of the delivery center in Burbank, CA I noticed the steering wheel was slightly cocked to the right.

Sorry about the issue, but your mistake was not putting in a service ticket right away. Tesla is pretty clear that you have up to 100 miles to submit any delivery day concerns.

I had a similar issue regarding timing of the service visit, as the first available appointment was 3.5 weeks out. But fortunately I was able to add a couple other concerns to the service ticket even though I was over the 100 miles. Glad you got the alignment resolved and hopefully you can enjoy the MYP now.

I've noticed, as expected with Tesla can do no wrong members, that claws come out the minute anyone dares say anything negative about Tesla.

There are plenty of members critical of Tesla practices here. But I agree the Tesla apologists can be a bit frustrating to listen to.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Deutsch100
Good Gawd...we are picking up our 3 next week and as an Audi owner for years I am getting an uncomfortable lower pain reading the^. Was in the queue for the id.4 awd, but April was too long to wait. VW has massive issues, say it aint so for Tesla...
Keep in mind that people with issues are going to come here to spout off about how awful Tesla cars are. Count those people and then look at how many Teslas are being delivered. Wheel alignment issues are low enough to be considered as nothing more than noise.

Just for the record, I've had zero issues. No wheel alignment issues, body panel issues, interior trim alignment issues, paint issues, etc. This car made me a fan boy. I wasn't one prior to ownership.

Good luck and hope you enjoy your car as much a I enjoy mine!!

Sorry about the issue, but your mistake was not putting in a service ticket right away. Tesla is pretty clear that you have up to 100 miles to submit any delivery day concerns.

I had a similar issue regarding timing of the service visit, as the first available appointment was 3.5 weeks out. But fortunately I was able to add a couple other concerns to the service ticket eve

There are plenty of members critical of Tesla practices here. But I agree the Tesla apologists can be a bit frustrating to listen to.
...and...every single car I've owned, I have taken to a legit alignment shop after purchase. Probably 50% needed the alignment tweaked...VAG, Cadillac, Toyota, Ford, Honda, Nissan.

Just because your steering wheel is centered does NOT mean your wheels are properly aligned. Seriously. $120 after purchasing a $20-60k car (my list above). It's CHEAP insurance to maximize tire tread life.
Ive owned more NEW (several 1st model year to boot) cars than I can count on two hands in the 30 years ive been driving and none needed an alignment as far as I know based on tire wear or how it drove. Granted my (July 21 build) Y may have not needed an alignment but a noticeably crooked steering wheel at delivery is not normal. The crooked steering wheel was just one of many things (noticeable 1/4” paint chip, interior lower driver side panel completely off, exterior body panels rubbing against each other, wire loom exposed at small rear window, noticeable paint imperfections, rear trunk area rattle) that were wrong with the car on delivery. I only put in a service call on the alignment and body panels and the rest I’m just going to live with. That’s just the nature of the beast with Tesla’s at the moment, particularly the Y. I could have rejected the car but then what? wait another 3 months if I’m lucky? No thanks, so I just deal and not worry about it. Not happy with that resolution, but it is what it is.

I had a similar issue regarding timing of the service visit, as the first available appointment was 3.5 weeks out. But fortunately I was able to add a couple other concerns to the service ticket even though I was over the 100 miles. Glad you got the alignment resolved and hopefully you can enjoy the MYP now.

Thanks USC. Being honest, NOT a single person told me on the day of delivery at the Tesla Burbank, CA delivery center that I had to submit all delivery issues or problems found within 100 miles. Being totally honest, and I accept responsibility for not knowing...I thought it was 1000 miles (which is much more reasonable than 100 miles). Many people will drive 100+ miles the day of delivery and not even have time to submit anything that quickly.

I am enjoying my MYP a lot (for the most part). Now that my steering wheel is centered and the car isn't pulling to the right...I am enjoying it even more! I am lucky, as I only have one piece of window trim (exterior) that is not flush. I pointed this out on delivery day, and the Burbank delivery center happened to have a Tesla collision repair tech on site. He examined all 4 doors and said they were perfectly, 100% aligned and it was just one strip of black exterior window trim that was misaligned. I was going over the car with a fine tooth comb. Honestly, a non-Tesla person would never even know to look at window trim.

The collision tech also noticed the frunk panel gaps were slightly inconsistent, but the frunk was aligned and opens and closes flawlessly. He also noticed the rear trunk hatch was slightly misaligned (I did not even notice it, it is so slight)...but again he said the trunk opened and closed also perfectly. He made a notation of the window trim, but said the trunk and frunk look so much better than many others and did not recommend making a service visit :-O Kind of shocking to hear that from the delivery center!

I am not (yet) a Tesla fan boy, but maybe it will happen. I just have never had to look and be prepared for any build issues on delivery day like many (but not all) Teslas have.

I will always give praise where praise is deserved:

My new MY Performance has perfect paint and wheels. Totally flawless. All glass is flawless as well.

The seats are so comfortable and the premium seating material they use is as soft or softer than most high end leathers.

All interior trim pieces are perfect and aligned (even if one piece on the driver door is rattling, but I have at least located the rattle!).

The giant touch screen is perfection...fast, flawless and once you use it a few times totally intuitive.

The HVAC system is excellent (although the heat pump system is a little buzzy/humming loud), but A/C in 100F+ weather cools quickly and perfectly.

The Tesla app is the best car app I have had; way better than BMW, Range Rover, Land Rover, Jaguar, Audi, Mercedes and Porsche (none of these were as quick or reliable as Tesla).

Phone as key is working so, so much better than I ever expected. So convenient.

Bluetooth phone system is excellent and so easy.

To date, Tesla voice activated command system is the absolute best I have ever had.

:D

Reactions: ucsdsig
Ive owned more NEW (several 1st model year to boot) cars than I can count on two hands in the 30 years ive been driving and none needed an alignment as far as I know based on tire wear or how it drove. Granted my (July 21 build) Y may have not needed an alignment but a noticeably crooked steering wheel at delivery is not normal. The crooked steering wheel was just one of many things (noticeable 1/4” paint chip, interior lower driver side panel completely off, exterior body panels rubbing against each other, wire loom exposed at small rear window, noticeable paint imperfections, rear trunk area rattle) that were wrong with the car on delivery. I only put in a service call on the alignment and body panels and the rest I’m just going to live with. That’s just the nature of the beast with Tesla’s at the moment, particularly the Y. I could have rejected the car but then what? wait another 3 months if I’m lucky? No thanks, so I just deal and not worry about it. Not happy with that resolution, but it is what it is.
So sorry about your new car. I agree with you so much. We buy 2-3 new cars almost every 12-18 months. We are constantly selling and trading cars. My spouse and I are car nuts. We live in tees and jeans and basic sneakers...but we love cars!!! Out of the easily 50-60 cars we have had, from a Honda Civic to several brand new Rolls-Royce and Bentleys and every brand in between....I have never seen more delivery day issues on a new car than with my new Model Y Perf.

Most will just make excuses and say "this is Tesla or It is what it is", but I just don't like or accept that. Really no other modern car has build, quality and parts issues like Tesla! If one was spending $60,000 to $120,000 on a BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Audi, etc....How many would really accept the issues Tesla expects owners to just "deal with"? I would bet the farm, 99% of new owners of non-Tesla brands would walk away and refuse delivery!

Good Gawd...we are picking up our 3 next week and as an Audi owner for years I am getting an uncomfortale lower pain reading the^. Was in the queue for the id.4 awd, but April was too long to wait. VW has massive issues, say it aint so for Tesla...
Even if you pay for an alignment on your first day, your service costs will still be much less than a typical Audi.

Idk why service centers don't check alignment pre delivery though.

jsight: AFAIK, alignment check has always been normal "dealer prep" for the big boys, who can absorb the overhead cost and have the manpower. Tesla isn't one of them. Their dealer prep is clearly sketchy, caused by selling WAY too many cars for their understaffed SCenters. Poor excuses, I know, but possibly real reasons!

I don't know if it made any difference, but after ordering my MY, I occasionally would drop in and hang with the SC advisors, and a couple of techs. I wanted them to be aware that I'd be back in a heartbeat if my car had issues. Did I get special treatment? Was I so annoying that they did NOT want me back? I'll never know. 😭

Thanks USC. Being honest, NOT a single person told me on the day of delivery at the Tesla Burbank, CA delivery center that I had to submit all delivery issues or problems found within 100 miles.
Same here, no one told me about the 100 miles. I had my car delivered to my home which was about 35 miles away from the delivery center. By the time my car arrived to my house it had 40 miles on it. That same day I called the delivery center to ask how to address the glaring issues and that’s when they told me about the 100 miles.

@Pianewman that is for a fact what is happening. Tesla is producing more than they can keep up with and QC is taking a back seat. In essence, the end customer is doing the final checks. with demand through the roof they can get away with it, as I think more customers are like me and just deal with stuff they probably normally wouldn’t.

jsight: AFAIK, alignment check has always been normal "dealer prep" for the big boys, who can absorb the overhead cost and have the manpower. Tesla isn't one of them. Their dealer prep is clearly sketchy, caused by selling WAY too many cars for their understaffed SCenters. Poor excuses, I know, but possibly real reasons!

I don't know if it made any difference, but after ordering my MY, I occasionally would drop in and hang with the SC advisors, and a couple of techs. I wanted them to be aware that I'd be back in a heartbeat if my car had issues. Did I get special treatment? Was I so annoying that they did NOT want me back? I'll never know. 😭
I'm sure you are right, but I have also occasionally heard of this with other brands.

That still doesn't mean you are wrong, though. Given the quality of dealer prep on my last Nissan, it's obvious some dealers just skip or half do some steps.

Just picked up my model 3 a week ago. First time on the freeway yesterday and it pulls to the right. Will be making a appt for alignment with tesla. Never heard anything about "the first 100 miles". I will be mad if i have to pay...158 miles now. Luckily the SC is very close so i will run over there to ask if alignment is under warranty or not. Of course tesla sucks cause you can't talk to anyone over the phone.

^^^^HAHAHAHAHA! How many stories, first-hand, would you like about shitty customer service from: VAG, Audi, Honda, Ford, even Toyota????

Customer service is, IMO, usually a local issue.
This. There's plenty of crap customer service to go around. When it's from Tesla, it's like it's the very first time which is total BS. I remember years ago when the Honda stealership installed my new tires w/o using the plastic clip that protects the pry bar from scraping alu wheels. I complained and they said where's your proof. I'm like WTF??? That was the last Honda I ever....

I have had my new 2021 Model Y Performance for about 2 weeks. The day I drove it out of the delivery center in Burbank, CA I noticed the steering wheel was slightly cocked to the right. I kept telling myself I was being too picky and to live with it, but I knew I could not (OCD not in control ;) )

If I would center my steering wheel, my car would begin to pull left. If I let go of the steering wheel, my car would begin to pull right so badly that the lane departure warning and lane assist would activate.

Tesla would ONLY cover alignment for the first 100 miles. What total B.S. is this? I mean the drive home on delivery day was almost 50 miles alone. 100 miles is nothing.

Today I called our fav tire and repair shop in Woodland Hills, CA (great family owned shop since 1953). They said the alignment was SO bad, that I would have been needing tires very soon. The alignment technician said he had never, ever seen a brand new car so badly out of alignment.

Steering wheel is now perfect centered, and my new Y no longer pulls to the right!

We go through a lot of cars, and we have never had to have a brand new car with now 450 miles aligned. It should never have left the factory like this. Gross!

On a positive note, the technician said he has never seen a paint job on a Tesla more perfect than mine :)
Same happened with me, with both alignment and balance.

Good Gawd...we are picking up our 3 next week and as an Audi owner for years I am getting an uncomfortale lower pain reading the^. Was in the queue for the id.4 awd, but April was too long to wait. VW has massive issues, say it aint so for Tesla...
people online are very vocal and negative. meanwhile, there’s probably hundreds if not thousands who arent involved online who are happy. someone has a good experience, what do they do? They go on living their life. Someone has a bad experience and they want to let everyone know about how upset they are. ‘Tis life.