Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

APPALLING quality control; alignment!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yea I have a service appointment next week for this and to install Homelink. Do you know if it's a quick appointment or they'll need my car for the whole day?
The alignment should take no more than 30-60 mins, but it depends on how busy they are when you drop it off, and if there is an available tech. Same goes for the homelink. I would plan on dropping off in the morning and picking up that afternoon (if all goes smoothly). Nothing is super quick with cars anymore.

The shop said they usually do not give printouts of the alignment, but made a copy for me in case I want to fight with Tesla. But since one cannot call a Service Center (app only) and if you try to call the toll free number for Tesla...they tell you to visit Tesla.com. Luckily I got it aligned perfectly for $75, and while I should not have had to do this...the time, frustration and anger I would spend would end up for sure costing me way more than $75.

People buying a Tesla for the first time (like me), just NEED to realize Tesla has essentially zero customer service, and you will not be treated well like with BMW, Porsche, MBZ, Lexus, Audi, Range Rover, Volvo, Jaguar, Acura, Infiniti, Genesis..... :(
Bought a new Range Rover Supercharged Sport $105k. First oil change they tried to charge me $1,500 and failed to fix 75% of the multiple issues I had with the car. If the car needed anything it was a 6-7 week wait to get a service slot and no loaner, had to sit at Enterprise for an hour and a half. Final nail in the coffin was a warning icon on infotainment system after warranty work, sent the dealer a pic. of it and they had no idea what it was , said they would have to call England on Monday and they’d get back to me, they never did, car was sold a week later. Terrible service exists everywhere it often depends on location.

Bought a new Range Rover Supercharged Sport $105k. First oil change they tried to charge me $1,500 and failed to fix 75% of the multiple issues I had with the car. If the car needed anything it was a 6-7 week wait to get a service slot and no loaner, had to sit at Enterprise for an hour and a half. Final nail in the coffin was a warning icon on infotainment system after warranty work, sent the dealer a pic. of it and they had no idea what it was , said they would have to call England on Monday and they’d get back to me, they never did, car was sold a week later. Terrible service exists everywhere it often depends on location.
This is true. I have had 5 full size Range Rovers and 4 were literally sent from the gods 100% perfect and 1 was kind of a nightmare and the Service Dept. sucked. I kept buying from that dealer, but quickly realized their Service Dept. was sent from hell. Once I switched Service Depts., I realized many times (but not always) that it is the Service Dept's fault, not the brand. BUT...it does totally suck that you cannot speak to anyone at Tesla. I have tried calling Finance, Service and the main #....and it just loops you back to visit Tesla. com or use the app! :(

This is true. I have had 5 full size Range Rovers and 4 were literally sent from the gods 100% perfect and 1 was kind of a nightmare and the Service Dept. sucked. I kept buying from that dealer, but quickly realized their Service Dept. was sent from hell. Once I switched Service Depts., I realized many times (but not always) that it is the Service Dept's fault, not the brand. BUT...it does totally suck that you cannot speak to anyone at Tesla. I have tried calling Finance, Service and the main #....and it just loops you back to visit Tesla. com or use the app! :(
I agree with you, but in fact, I've totally given up on any phone conversation with any auto service department. Talk is cheap over the phone.

I have the time, and take the time, to always drive in and speak face-to-face with a Service Director (I don't even bother with a service advisor, unless the SD hands me off to someone he recommends). It takes more time for sure, but communication is clearer, and...well...body language means a lot!!!!

I agree with you, but in fact, I've totally given up on any phone conversation with any auto service department. Talk is cheap over the phone.

I have the time, and take the time, to always drive in and speak face-to-face with a Service Director (I don't even bother with a service advisor, unless the SD hands me off to someone he recommends). It takes more time for sure, but communication is clearer, and...well...body language means a lot!!!!
Do you get any pushback when requesting to speak with a service director?

Not to highjack this thread, but I just washed my car by hand and noticed a bunch of paint issues. I setup an appt with service already but looks like I need to add a bunch of new items that need to be addressed.
I saw a hair or fiber that was caught in the paint before they applied a top coat. Do I let this go? What would you do? I have a bunch of misalligned exterior that they're coming to fix.

20210919_132209.jpg

Plus I have this little scratch in front dash trim.
20210919_132042.jpg

Not to highjack this thread, but I just washed my car by hand and noticed a bunch of paint issues. I setup an appt with service already but looks like I need to add a bunch of new items that need to be addressed.
I saw a hair or fiber that was caught in the paint before they applied a top coat. Do I let this go? What would you do? I have a bunch of misalligned exterior that they're coming to fix.

Plus I have this little scratch in front dash trim.

I let several issues go - tailgate alignment (panel gap), cut in weatherstrip, small paint defect on front passenger door (very hard to notice). That being said, your issues appear to be a bit worse. I would probably ask for both issues to be fixed. The hair/fiber picture looks like something red rubbed against the paint, but obviously if you see a fiber or hair in person you probably know better than what a picture can show. If they sealed a fiber in the paint I would hope they would fix it. The gouge in the dash is something that should have failed QC too. Again, I would hope they would fix it, but they may argue that it could have happened after delivery. They can't really do that with the paint (if it is a fiber sealed in paint). Good luck with getting them to fix everything, but if they don't try not to stress... you are probably the only one who will ever notice these issues (or at least that's what I tell myself about my Y's issues).

Reactions: Deutsch100
But, I mean...c'mon. The car has a 4 year/50,000 mile warranty and you have to report warranty issues in the first 100 miles? So many issues pop up in the first 3 months, the not first 100 miles!

I have been primarily with BMW, Porsche and Range Rover for the past 25 years, and so far I am shocked with Tesla customer service and build quality! I love the way my new Y Performance accelerates and the A/C is excellent, and the giant touch screen is incredibly responsive...but the fans/pumps humming and buzzing noise I have when stopped drives me nuts, this alignment issue, a few not great fitting exterior trim pieces I have decided to live with (they could be worse, and since I have seen worse...I won't bother Service possibly making something worse) and a driver door panel rattle (I have located the cause, but only semi fixed it)....Tesla really needs to up their game. Also, I have been 100% unable to call Tesla or even Tesla Financial for questions. Not cool!
I have been with the same brands as you. And you are 100% correct. Tesla has ZERO customer service, ZERO QC. Its Russian Roulette buying a Tesla, you either get a tolerable one and you're good or a *sugar* one and you're on your own.

I let several issues go - tailgate alignment (panel gap), cut in weatherstrip, small paint defect on front passenger door (very hard to notice). That being said, your issues appear to be a bit worse. I would probably ask for both issues to be fixed. The hair/fiber picture looks like something red rubbed against the paint, but obviously if you see a fiber or hair in person you probably know better than what a picture can show. If they sealed a fiber in the paint I would hope they would fix it. The gouge in the dash is something that should have failed QC too. Again, I would hope they would fix it, but they may argue that it could have happened after delivery. They can't really do that with the paint (if it is a fiber sealed in paint). Good luck with getting them to fix everything, but if they don't try not to stress... you are probably the only one who will ever notice these issues (or at least that's what I tell myself about my Y's issues).
I'm really not stressing so much. The fiber is inside or under the clear coat of the paint. I only know this because I put on a coat of wax on the car and I tried to take that off with my finger nail when I noticed it, but it was inside the clear coat. I plan on being all of this up to the service manager, but I don't really expect them to fix all of the issues. If they do fix, great, but if not, I can live with it. No big deal. The overall joy of the car is more than these minor defects.

Reactions: cgell
View attachment 712241
I'm really not stressing so much. The fiber is inside or under the clear coat of the paint. I only know this because I put on a coat of wax on the car and I tried to take that off with my finger nail when I noticed it, but it was inside the clear coat. I plan on being all of this up to the service manager, but I don't really expect them to fix all of the issues. If they do fix, great, but if not, I can live with it. No big deal. The overall joy of the car is more than these minor defects.
My window rolls up halfway and opens back up 2 out of 3 times so I have to keep rolling my driver side window up 3 times to roll up all the way.

I have a lot of issues with my car. Hopefully Tesla will fix everything in my service appt. 10/23 is the appt date.
Also, hopefully I don't have more issues. Jeez

• Funny
Reactions: InternetDude
Do you get any pushback when requesting to speak with a service director?
I realize my post was a bit unclear. I was referring to previous experiences with "normal" dealerships that have a traditional service department.

At my local Fort Worth service center, there are 2 young guys that act as service directors. They have connected me with the techs that worked on my car, when the motor that controls the steering column adjustment started making noise. Tesla replaced the motor, no pushback, and it was good to meet the tech, who thoroughly explained the process.

Reactions: Deutsch100
View attachment 712241

My window rolls up halfway and opens back up 2 out of 3 times so I have to keep rolling my driver side window up 3 times to roll up all the way.

I have a lot of issues with my car. Hopefully Tesla will fix everything in my service appt. 10/23 is the appt date.
Also, hopefully I don't have more issues. Jeez
I have had this happen with my driver window 1 time at work, pulling into our parking structure. I hope it was a 1x fluke, as it has not happened since. I am sorry it is happening so frequently for you! I hope Service will help you. Tesla Service terrifies me :-o

I feel so guilty...only a few very minor delivery issues (like plastic film sticking out of headliner over passenger side door.
WOW...I had this too, and it was impossible to remove it all. I was able to get most of it. HOW and WHY should quality control allow this to leave the factory like this, and no one at the delivery center looks at cars?

The gap panels, misaligned window trim and issues like this....unacceptable, when a Honda or Toyota that costs 50% less (or even way less) do not have anything issues like this!

^^^^HAHAHAHAHA! How many stories, first-hand, would you like about shitty customer service from: VAG, Audi, Honda, Ford, even Toyota????

Customer service is, IMO, usually a local issue.
I have a couple , how about when I was trying to explain that our defective VTC actuator is covered under Honda's drivetrain warranty. Although, the service writer from the dealership claimed otherwise and wanted us to pay $1200 for parts and labor. I had to read word for word on what is covered from Honda's own site. I even had to get Honda corporate involved .

I realize my post was a bit unclear. I was referring to previous experiences with "normal" dealerships that have a traditional service department.

At my local Fort Worth service center, there are 2 young guys that act as service directors. They have connected me with the techs that worked on my car, when the motor that controls the steering column adjustment started making noise. Tesla replaced the motor, no pushback, and it was good to meet the tech, who thoroughly explained the process.
Oh, I understood. I was curious if you had issues at the "normal" dealers. I almost never see the service directors talking to customers here at the local non-Tesla dealership.