Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apparently model Y paint mismatch is normal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Per my local service center, it's normal for body panels of the model Y to have different paint tones.
Here's my model Y with a different shade of white on the rear bumper than the rest of the car.

"I have escalated your concern and unfortunately we are unable to assist due to this being expected appearance of the vehicle."

WTF does that even mean? LOL.

viNaYAy.jpg

Alright so here is what happened to me with white.

I was told by the delivery center service manager that the issue is the bumpers are a type of plastic whereas the rest of the car is metal. Due to they they are painted differently. Sometimes this results in different tones. The one I was originally picking up looked like white sheets with urine, no good.

Nonetheless, he said model 3 had the same issue and they carried bunch of spare bumpers to swap them as it happened but for the Y they didn't since it was so new.

Nonetheless, no, make sure yours matches. My current model Y is perfect.

• Informative
Reactions: astrobill

I was told by the delivery center service manager that the issue is the bumpers are a type of plastic whereas the rest of the car is metal. Due to they they are painted differently. Sometimes this results in different tones. The one I was originally picking up looked like white sheets with urine, no good.

Nonetheless, he said model 3 had the same issue and they carried bunch of spare bumpers to swap them as it happened but for the Y they didn't since it was so new.

I think I need to bring it to the service center to show them the difference compared to other white Y's or 3's they have around.

Mine looked exactly the same. My SC is fixing it. They told me there are multiple versions of white and two different types of plastic. Mine was the wrong color white and the wrong color plastic. A guy came out and color matched it with this square grid to one of 4 colors (they narrow it down to 4 since it’s basically imperceivable). The bumper was ordered, dropped off car and now I’m waiting to pick it up.

It was actually a great experience, although I made sure they would fix it before I kept the car during 7 day grace period; with how amazing this particular SC has been I’m not sure it even mattered. You could try taking it to a different SC, it seems like you really need to talk to the right person based on stories.

• Informative
Reactions: kdphan and MP3Mike
As a child I came to understand the difference between white (pronounced WITE, with no “h” sound) and white (WHA-HITE). The problem is the ambiguous relationship between the written word and these two colors. Tesla has likely programmed some robots to paint white and others to paint white, hence the difference. In a factory with humans communicating verbally this would never have been an issue.

As a child I came to understand the difference between white (pronounced WITE, with no “h” sound) and white (WHA-HITE). The problem is the ambiguous relationship between the written word and these two colors. Tesla has likely programmed some robots to paint white and others to paint white, hence the difference. In a factory with humans communicating verbally this would never have been an issue.
cool-hwhip-pictures-of-cool-whip-stewie-kidskunst-info-48961487.jpg

Try taking it to a different SC. Probably depends on the person looking at the car. My paint mismatch wasn’t as bad as yours. When I picked up my car, the adviser said they probably wouldn’t fix my paint. Still gave it a shot and set up a service. They ordered a new bumper and repainted for me. New bumper is a lot better but could still see a different shade under certain lighting conditions.

You could try taking it to a local Tesla Approved body shop. For a few $$ they will inspect and give you a written estimate to repair the mismatch, you can present that to the SC manager. The SC wouldn't dispute the results if it came from one of their "approved" body shops.

I don't think I've ever seen a white MY that didn't have this mismatch. I've never been able to figure out why the front bumper cover, which I assume is also plastic, matches while the rear doesn't. Can't they simply use the same paint/process they use on the front, on the rear? ;)

I call that BS, if that was the case you would see all white Toyota’s Nissan’s, Ford’s Chevy with the same issue. It’s obvious that the bumpers were made elsewhere, I’m sure this problem will be corrected at the new paint shop in China.

Fred

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
the front white bumper cover doesn't really match either. Today I parked my car at the supermarket - got out and said wow the bumper sucks. I walked 100 feet and there was a new Lexus - same thing. Pearl white is hard to paint - its a cop out for them - they must do it right and they aren't - the newer ones coming off the line are better but you still see some recent VISN screwed up. I think they are still painting these in the tent!

Reactions: angus[Y]oung