Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apparently too good to be true...demo car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update: I did find another LR RWD in white/black/aero. This one is apparently (more) new, was not a demo, and has no issues. It's a very slightly lower VIN but was still likely produced in March/April. I'm not sure where/why it's been hiding (somewhere in Canada apparently). The unfortunate kicker is that there's now no discount and that pushes it above the WA tax incentive threshold, which makes it about $4500 more than the other one and about $9k more than a comparable SR+. So, now I'm back to the debate of new SR+ vs new or used LR RWD and whether it's worth it.

Will they even bring it back into the US? I had found one and once they determined it was in Canada and not Seattle (apparently it had passed THROUGH the Seattle port) they basically shut that option down and started guiding me towards something else.

I was on a slight time table so I didn’t fight to try and keep on the path of the Canadian one...

Will they even bring it back into the US? I had found one and once they determined it was in Canada and not Seattle (apparently it had passed THROUGH the Seattle port) they basically shut that option down and started guiding me towards something else.

I was on a slight time table so I didn’t fight to try and keep on the path of the Canadian one...

Oh, yeah. Sounds like it’s already here ...

I assume your $9k more is factoring in taxes as well? Because otherwise $9k is basically the difference in cost between a SR+ and a AWD.

After tax a AWD is approx $12,400 more expensive then a SR+ (since you miss out on the $2500 credit from WA on the AWD). If you can afford that, I probably would go for a AWD that’s 6 months newer then a LR that’s been sitting around. $3,400 for a second motor which gives you better control in bad weather, a bit more performance, almost certainly HW3 already installed in the car, etc.

If the budget is already being stretched to the max for the LR RWD, I probably would step down to the SR+ and get the benefit of the WA credit. Put that extra $9000 you’re saving towards extras. Either spend a couple grand on the exact color you want and white interior, or put it all toward full paint protection film (~$5500) and ceramic coating and tinting. A good shop should discount a full package like that and probably get you in and out for $7k or so and every millimeter if the car will be protected for super easy care afterwards.

This actually happened to me in 2014. Bought a new Cadillac elr straight off the showroom floor. Discovered 6 months later when I went to trade it in and the dealer ran a Carfax it was in an accident. Dealer did not disclose. Needless to say 3 years later my lawsuit is still pending. There is a certain dollar amount % that they don't have to disclose however it varies by state. Also in my case the dealer had a police report made so was reported to Carfax. They will loose once it goes court. Huge diminished value.

If this car is being sold as new and they don't disclose this you better believe this will be a huge lawsuit once the owner finds out when they go to sell it.

I assume your $9k more is factoring in taxes as well? Because otherwise $9k is basically the difference in cost between a SR+ and a AWD.

After tax a AWD is approx $12,400 more expensive then a SR+ (since you miss out on the $2500 credit from WA on the AWD). If you can afford that, I probably would go for a AWD that’s 6 months newer then a LR that’s been sitting around. $3,400 for a second motor which gives you better control in bad weather, a bit more performance, almost certainly HW3 already installed in the car, etc.

If the budget is already being stretched to the max for the LR RWD, I probably would step down to the SR+ and get the benefit of the WA credit. Put that extra $9000 you’re saving towards extras. Either spend a couple grand on the exact color you want and white interior, or put it all toward full paint protection film (~$5500) and ceramic coating and tinting. A good shop should discount a full package like that and probably get you in and out for $7k or so and every millimeter if the car will be protected for super easy care afterwards.

Yep, it is, and the difference between receiving and not receiving the tax incentive. Yeah, I'd love either an AWD or LR RWD. I was actually coordinating with someone and their SA to pick up a used white AWD during the Aug. "sales" when they let it go, and I had stepped away from my phone for the 1 minute that it took that car to be listed and sold. Just one of many events in this process of finding a car that I chalk up to "wasn't meant to be".

Yeah, I've thought about the protections as well. If I do go SR+, that'll be part of the plan, though I don't think I'd wrap a white. I've observed so many out there with no wraps and they look pretty great. Maybe ceramic and definitely tint...

I was just informed tonight that the NEW LR RWD in my ideal config (white/black/aero) - which I was to take delivery of tomorrow - had been in a rear-ender and sustained over $22k in damage. I knew it was a demo/service car and hadn't considered that I should need to check Carfax. Fortunately, someone did that and alerted me.

Needless to say I'm super bummed since this was to be the culmination of several months of waiting/looking for a specific config.

Ah, that was my car ordered in mid Sept. Made a "deal" with sales and put down my deposit. Car was shipped from Seattle to Portland. Then I was told that "sales management" had cancelled the order since the demo price put it at exactly the price that qualified for WA incentive. Said it looked like fraud. 24 hours later I said, OK I'll buy it anyway. Day before delivery they told me about the huge damage. I asked what was the additional discount was told none, its been fixed! I told them to enjoy keeping the car.

Ordered an SR+

Ah, that was my car ordered in mid Sept. Made a "deal" with sales and put down my deposit. Car was shipped from Seattle to Portland. Then I was told that "sales management" had cancelled the order since the demo price put it at exactly the price that qualified for WA incentive. Said it looked like fraud. 24 hours later I said, OK I'll buy it anyway. Day before delivery they told me about the huge damage. I asked what was the additional discount was told none, its been fixed! I told them to enjoy keeping the car.

Ordered an SR+

Wow...that's insane. Happy with the SR+ I guess...?

Tesla has a new policy, that if you don't accept a car, you cannot order another identical one for a year.

Evidently some buyers kept cancelling for one reason or another and just kept ordering another, hoping to find a perfect one.

Also now lose $100 if you cancel a scheduled delivery.

Maybe Tesla has gotten burned too many times by people cancelling a car for relatively minor items that might be easily fixed after delivery.

Understand people wanting perfect cars and doing hour long close inspections, but Tesla needs to deliver the cars as they become available. Rejecting for a tiny scratch is a tremendous waste of time and money for a highly stressed company.

Oh. Sorry!

No car here yet either though I do have a LR RWD in transit from BC...still...
I heard about that one and passed. It was just becoming to pricey for my retirement budget. I am happy with the SR+ price with state and federal incentives. I actually live in WA just outside of Portland. The WA sales taxes are pretty outrageous. Most of the time the range is plenty. We take about 4 long (800 mi) annual trips where I'll just have to stop more and wait longer. In this case, time is money.