Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Appeal forward collision warnings?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's definitely a good question. While it may not be a bid deal whether the system gives you a high enough score to be enrolled in FSD beta participation, that same system is used for Tesla insurance and could impact a driver's premium. It's an opt in situation but pretty annoying that Tesla uses a beta scoring system as a basis for insurance pricing.

This is one of the reasons I'm trying out Progressive's snapshot rather than switching to Tesla insurance since snapshot only assesses me for one renewal cycle rather than constantly. That way, the good behavior will lower my premium going forward rather than allowing rare occasional false fwd collision warnings or hard braking (due to oblivious possums crossing the street) to immediately (if temporarily) raise my monthly premium.

All that said, you could make the fwd collision alert more sensitive than the level used by the score system. It's based on medium so you could set it to early which, depending on your reaction time, may allow you to resolve an issue before the score is dinged. Even if you don't catch it initially, if you're able to modify your speed/road position enough to avoid getting the early warnings, you'll know that the medium threshold won't be crossed and your score will improve.

In addition to what @Big Earl wrote, don't sweat it. As somebody who already has the "Flaky Student Driver (FSD)" beta (really more like alpha) feature, I can attest that it's not something that really helps with driving. It's SO flaky that it requires more attention when driving than just normal manual driving. Every time I activate it, I get annoyed (at best) or alarmed (at worst) by something stupid it's done.

If you want to help Tesla develop this feature, then fine; but you're really just volunteering your time; and risking your car, your safety, and the safety of those around you, for the benefit of Tesla -- while paying for the privilege of doing so. At this point in FSD's development, you're really not getting anything for yourself.

Caveat: My car is currently on 2022.12.3.20 (FSD build 10.12.2). Tesla is starting to deploy a new version that they say will be much better; but in the past, every claimed significant improvement in FSD has turned out to be more of an incremental improvement. Thus, I'm skeptical that the new version will change my view in any fundamental way.

I have also noticed that rain and smudges on the windshield trigger false positives on following to close / forward collision detection. Agreed, there should be a way to appeal as it would be a beneficial feedback mechanism for improving such features. Especially when tied to financial considerations.

My second day of owning the car I had enabled Early forward collision warning and went for a drive (about 20 miles). During that time I never saw a collision warning displayed. During that time I had engaged Autopilot cruise for 5 miles. That night the Safety Score showed 118 forward collision warning and dropped my score from 90 to 58. Since nothing popped-up while driving, I don't know that exact cause. Could partially be caused by passing parked cars on a curved road. If so, that would certainly add-up quick. After that I changed the forward collision warning to Medium and have not had any warnings logged since. Although, I have also not engaged Autopilot cruise control either so I don't know if it was partly to blame even though the score indicates nothing logged when using Autopilot.

I didn't think the Safety Score was even a thing anymore - whoever paid for it and requested it (with some one-off's for MCU1 folks perhaps), got it. Isn't that the case? If so, this discussion may be mute.

You don't happen to have Tesla insurance, do you? I think those retain the SS capability for insurance purposes. But that's no effect on FSD or FCW's.

But it's well known that the SS app will indeed give many FCW's on occasion - although I'm not sure a "cause" was ever correlated.

It's a thing. I bought my car in mid-December, when I signed up for full self-driving right after delivery. They added the score to my app although to be honest I was good for 2 days and then I let my girlfriend take the car and I was down to an 83, I got the FSD update two days later.