Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Appeal to Tesla to unlock all those software-limited High Amperage Chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 3-phase High Amperage Charger in all facelift Model S and all Model X ordered before July 1, 2017, was software limited to 11 kW although the hardware is capable of doing 16.5 kW, unless one chose the option to pay a fierce premium for those 5.5 kW more in AC charging rate, which is still offered by Tesla as an upgrade for 2100 (!) EUR. The unlocked High Amperage Charger became the default on all orders after that date without surcharge.

Obviously it is just a very bad idea to unnecessarily limit the charging rate, especially for the ones waiting in line behind you at a destination charger. With more and more vehicles on the road (and the flood of Model 3 coming to Europe now) a difference of 50% in charging rate (11 vs 16.5 kW) makes a significant difference for the occupancy of destination chargers.

The optional High Amperage Charger upgrade (which indeed was just software limited in all vehicles that can utilize 3-phase power) was simply too pricey from the beginning, and never showed up in the customer account as a possible upgrade, so it has to be assumed that a very high percentage of (facelift) Model S and Model X from the pre-July 2017 era is affected by that issue, most likely with the majority of owners not even aware that their AC charger could do better without any hardware change.

Was it different for EU vs US? In the US, Tesla offered (at least when I ordered back in Q4 2016) the 48amp charger by default, or you could pay an extra $1500 for the 72amp charger, and it stated the upgrade would be $1900 after deliver. It turned out there was a small window of time where they were indeed offering a software locked 72amp charger, but then they actually switched production to a 48amp charger, which some people found out the hard way when they had to have an SC swap out the charger to do the upgrade (and then I recall more recent posts where the SC's weren't even doing it).

However, I do agree with you that it seems like a no-brainer for Tesla to drop the software-upgrade price for those who are able to get it to something small enough to cash in on.

Reactions: Reyswan
Was it different for EU vs US?
  • Most destination chargers here in Europe can deliver 3 x 32A = 22 kW
  • Any pre-facelift Model S with single charger can utilize 3 x 16A = 11 kW
  • Any pre-facelift Model S with dual charger can utilize 3 x 32A = 22 kW
  • Any facelift Model S and Model X with software-limited High Amperage Charger can utilize 3 x 16A = 11 kW
  • Any facelift Model S and Model X with unlocked High Amperage Charger can utilize 3 x 24A = 16.5 kW
Wasn't the 72A charger for USA a hardware upgrade?

Here in Europe there was only one hardware-version of the new High Amperage Charger since the introduction of the facelift Model S and Model X, with the catch that it was software-locked till they gave up on that idea back in 2017.

• Informative
Reactions: MIT_S60
For a period of time it was a software upgrade and the wording later on still implied it was. But eventually it was changed to a hardware upgrade. I guess it doesn't matter as much for the US, since the majority of public chargers use J1772 and are limited to 240v x 30amp = 7.2 kW.
Yeah, not so here in Europe (and everywhere else where there is 3-phase power) because all three charging boards are required to make use of 3-phase power and to not cause out of balance power consumption, which isn't allowed by the grid operators.

That software-limitation was just a bad idea to begin with, someone at Tesla thought to make some extra money, which didn't happen, so they gave that up back in 2017, leaving a lot of Teslas with limited AC chargers behind, which is now of disadvantage for everybody.

Reactions: MIT_S60
This is super interesting. So my model S was delivered May 2017. 75d. I'm in the US. What are the chances I have a high amp charger on board? I'd be willing to pay $1000 for it. Or they can give it to me for free since I bought FSD for 3k instead of 2k a couple weeks ago. Haha!

Tesla offered a discount for those who had software locked 60Ds to get them to upgrade to 75D. I think they should do that for the software locked 72A chargers. My car has that and I would upgrade if they offered a deal. I don't need it at home, the electrician who installed the HPWC could only put in a 60A circuit for it, so I only use 48A at home. But it would be useful if using a destination charger. They are getting more common now.

Bad example because I’m one of the suckers who paid $8,000 for EAP+FSD for my Model 3 because the order page told me it would be more expensive if I bought it later.

Hey man...I'm in the same boat as you. Doesn't it suck that if we didn't buy anything at point of sale, we could have gotten it all for $5000? Also, I wouldn't be paying yearly ownership tax on that $8000 as well. Least they could do is give me access to a 72amp charge rate if my car has it.

Hey man...I'm in the same boat as you. Doesn't it suck that if we didn't buy anything at point of sale, we could have gotten it all for $5000? Also, I wouldn't be paying yearly ownership tax on that $8000 as well. Least they could do is give me access to a 72amp charge rate if my car has it.
You’re suggesting quid pro quo and not what OP wants which is to just get it for free.

Not sure I get what you mean.

Someone who purchased $5000 EAP just got FSD for free whereas others paid a premium.
Someone who purchased any software locked 48a charger can't get 72a upgrade at all. Paid or not.

Are you sure they won't turn on the 72A option if you can find the right person? They used to have the optional software locked things in the Tesla Store, but they don't anymore, possibly because people were buying things that we're available for their car.

The trick though is finding someone at Tesla who can actually help you. That isn't always easy.

Are you sure they won't turn on the 72A option if you can find the right person? They used to have the optional software locked things in the Tesla Store, but they don't anymore, possibly because people were buying things that we're available for their car.

The trick though is finding someone at Tesla who can actually help you. That isn't always easy.

Well, now would be a perfect time to find out! My MS is in the shop for new Aft Links (They were creaking bad). Maybe I can text my adviser to see if my car even has it. Man this would make me a happy camper!!!

2 years later ... I have just received a quote from Tesla in Vienna to upgrade my 2017 S90D on-board charger firmware limit to 16.5kW. The price is 1700Eur + VAT. That means they keep charging the same money for the upgrade back in 2019. :( I don't see why they should lower the price or even giving it for free. Maybe one day, I'll go for it.

Reactions: StefanSarzio