Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple and Tesla in Shopping Malls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

swaltner

Oct 13, 2012
Kansas, USA
Was looking through new articles posted on appleinsider.com this morning and came across Photos show Apple's newly relocated & revamped Brea Mall store [u].

The second image caught my eye:

18416-17143-Screenshot_2-l.jpg

At first, it looked like there was a watermark in the image, but then it didn't make sense because it was a Tesla logo and this was and article on Apple, and looking close, the Tesla logo was flipped. Then realized it was just a reflection from the Tesla Store across the hall from the new Apple Store. Both companies going after some of the same shoppers...

Tesla has always been smart regarding 'drafting' (my term :)). Imagine you're George Blankenship with a very limited budget. No money to do big studies are where the high traffic areas are for a Tesla demographic. But those same people shop at Apple, so anywhere an Apple store is doing well, the logical conclusion was that Tesla would also.

No money spent, but precise locating. As an investor, that's the kind of thinking that makes me happy :).

Tesla has always been smart regarding 'drafting' (my term :)). Imagine you're George Blankenship with a very limited budget. No money to do big studies are where the high traffic areas are for a Tesla demographic. But those same people shop at Apple, so anywhere an Apple store is doing well, the logical conclusion was that Tesla would also.

No money spent, but precise locating. As an investor, that's the kind of thinking that makes me happy :).
thats what Burger King did to McDonalds,

thats what Burger King did to McDonalds,

I read that In-N-Out did something similar.

Yep, true. And CVS and Walgreens, etc. But the difference here is that Tesla/Apple are different markets - Apple tech vs. car shoppers. Smart for burger drive thrus and drug stores to position near each other and hopefully siphon off some business. But Tesla isn't trying to siphon Apple's business, only put their product in front of those shoppers. They're not competing with Apple (unlike the other examples) - only sharing the same demographic.

I heard JB Straubel (Tesla CTO) speak this week. He had an interesting point to make about this topic. He said they weren't so interested in being across from Apple as they were interested in being in the highest traffic part of the mall. It just so happens that Apple is almost always the highest trafficked part of every mall.