Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am surprise that no one mention Sony which shown a concept car during the 2020 CES?

Although it's interesting that Apple's planning on making an EV, I think the excitement has to mainly do with their public perception alone. Apple's had a good track record of many successful products, and they are one of the most profitable companies on Earth. As Watts_Up stated, no one is talking about the Sony car, and I believe this is simply because Sony brings less weight as a company as Apple.

It's fair to make the point that Apple has been much more innovative than Sony, but frankly, I think a lot of the hype is unnecessary for what I believe the product will be: a pretty typical, and to be fair, probably sleek-looking, lower-end EV with some cool Apple technology that will most likely not have a large production rate. In addition to this, Tim Cook isn't the innovator Steve Jobs was, and it will definitely be more difficult for Apple to make new cars than it is for them to make new headphones.

Although it's interesting that Apple's planning on making an EV, I think the excitement has to mainly do with their public perception alone. Apple's had a good track record of many successful products, and they are one of the most profitable companies on Earth. As Watts_Up stated, no one is talking about the Sony car, and I believe this is simply because Sony brings less weight as a company as Apple.

It's fair to make the point that Apple has been much more innovative than Sony, but frankly, I think a lot of the hype is unnecessary for what I believe the product will be: a pretty typical, and to be fair, probably sleek-looking, lower-end EV with some cool Apple technology that will most likely not have a large production rate. In addition to this, Tim Cook isn't the innovator Steve Jobs was, and it will definitely be more difficult for Apple to make new cars than it is for them to make new headphones.

“We’ve learned and struggled for a few years here figuring out how to make a decent phone,” he said. “PC guys are not going to just figure this out. They’re not going to just walk in.” - Palm CEO Ed Colligan, 2006

It's true that cars are the biggest and most complex consumer products available. However, a company either has a good process, or not. Look at the shared culture between Tesla, SpaceX, and Boring...they rapidly innovate. Apple knows how to do this, too.

Tesla's cars are less "automobile", and more "mobile computer platform on wheels". I'd say that Apple is better positioned to deliver groundbreaking EVs than any of the traditional "Big Three" automakers.

Reactions: mark95476
“We’ve learned and struggled for a few years here figuring out how to make a decent phone,” he said. “PC guys are not going to just figure this out. They’re not going to just walk in.” - Palm CEO Ed Colligan, 2006
Yeah, that was pretty hilarious. I mean Apple basically designed the UI for Newton that Palm basically ripped off and became the basis for their phones.

Cars, on the other hand, are just a bit different. :)

I'm not saying Apple can't do it, but I'd expect Apple to be so utterly caught up in the fundamental inability to have tight tolerances in the automotive space that they just kept iterating for decades and never got to the point of releasing something.

Yeah, that was pretty hilarious. I mean Apple basically designed the UI for Newton that Palm basically ripped off and became the basis for their phones.

Cars, on the other hand, are just a bit different. :)

I'm not saying Apple can't do it, but I'd expect Apple to be so utterly caught up in the fundamental inability to have tight tolerances in the automotive space that they just kept iterating for decades and never got to the point of releasing something.
They all 'borrow' tech from each other. Looking back, Apple started on the Newton OS in '84, but didn't release anything till '93. Psion already had their series 3 out which technically predated Apple's Newton and already started to resemble what Apple would coin a 'PDA'. While I agree Apple is innovative, they have no doubt borrowed from other OSs (namely Android) and form factors and vice versa.

I don't see why Apple can't have their car. They can partner with Tesla or another company that would put together the basics (chassis, motors, electrical assemblies etc) and they can then modify the OS and rebrand it. Would I drive one? Doubtful, but I'd love to see what they produce and how they plan to squeeze every cent out of the owners.

It's true that cars are the biggest and most complex consumer products available. However, a company either has a good process, or not. Look at the shared culture between Tesla, SpaceX, and Boring...they rapidly innovate. Apple knows how to do this, too.
It's true - they do; I believe they often choose not to. Apple has a serious moat that has allowed them to iterate the same tech, slightly improved, for several years now, while still making huge profits. I'm not invalidating all of the great improvements they've added to their devices, but I believe they don't reflect the amount of money Apple is making. If Apple tries to use a similar moat tactic going into the EV industry, I'm not sure I see the same success with EVs as they have with smartphones.

As long as the car isn't ridiculously overpriced, I'd be interested in the concept, though. I'd like to see what new perspective the minds behind one of the biggest tech companies in the world can bring to the table of EVs.
M1 chip in new apple car?! Just kidding

Ever since the first smartphone, companies (Apple included) have been looking for ‘the next big thing’.
Is it possible to bring something that would create the same sort of buzz and disruption, but then for the
infinitely larger market of personal mobility? I think so.

FdCJIrUWYAYHX0w

As long as the car isn't ridiculously overpriced, I'd be interested in the concept, though. I'd like to see what new perspective the minds behind one of the biggest tech companies in the world can bring to the table of EVs.
M1 chip in new apple car?! Just kidding

1) of course there will be Apple CPU/GPUs in it.

2) It will be undoubtably almost ridiculously overpriced. What else does "Tim Apple" want? Price I'm guessing it will be comparable to Mercedes EQE and EQS.